IGNORED

Dungeon Stalker - a new Atari 7800 Game

Could you make the shots of all sprites different. Like arrows etc? or at least color them the same as the sprite? Just a suggestion. Looks great.

Thanks for the feedback, Jinks! While it is technically possible to make all of the sprites shoot in different colors, we're pretty low on ROM space in the current 48k build and plan on staying under that. It would require a fair amount of extra ROM space to implement that and we already have plans for the 3-4k we have remaining for some music and a new gameplay element that I'm not going to disclose at the moment. Hopefully RevEng and I can squeeze in everything we still want to do. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Jinks! While it is technically possible to make all of the sprites shoot in different colors, we're pretty low on ROM space in the current 48k build and plan on staying under that. It would require a fair amount of extra ROM space to implement that and we already have plans for the 3-4k we have remaining for some music and a new gameplay element that I'm not going to disclose at the moment. Hopefully RevEng and I can squeeze in everything we still want to do. :)

Why 48K? Why not 144K, 272K or 528K?

Good game and thanks for posting. The color of the shots are hard to see for me. The shots are grey against a blue background. Orange or white so that it stands out better would be better in my opinion. Otherwise, it looks and plays good. Just some feedback.

Good game and thanks for posting. The color of the shots are hard to see for me. The shots are grey against a blue background. Orange or white so that it stands out better would be better in my opinion. Otherwise, it looks and plays good. Just some feedback.

Thanks for the compliment and for the feedback, Chuck. I am limited to 8 unique colors for sprites at once in 320A mode, so the arrow shots need to match one of the existing colors in the game (see the attachment), or one of them would have to be changed to make a different colored arrow shot. I'll give it some thought.

post-2143-0-73132700-1428351734_thumb.png

A question on the movement of the player, I find it feels like the player is moving at half speed when going up and down compared to left and right. Was that intentional, or would doubling up the Y movement help? It's what I generally tend to do when I'm tinkering in the examples.

Great game otherwise though. :)

A question on the movement of the player, I find it feels like the player is moving at half speed when going up and down compared to left and right. Was that intentional, or would doubling up the Y movement help? It's what I generally tend to do when I'm tinkering in the examples.

Great game otherwise though. :)

Yes, up and down movement is a tick slower than left/right. I wouldn't call it intentional so much as just saying that's how it works by default when you move one X or Y coordinate per frame in either direction. If I double up the Y movement then Y movement would be faster than X movement, making them precisely the same could be a challenge. It's certainly something I can look at adjusting but it may remain as-is. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm reposting the source to version 158. I am asking that anyone who downloads the source code please not post any modified/hacked versions of the game until after Dungeon Stalker has been completed and officially released on cartridge. Thanks.

DungeonStalker_1.158_Source.zip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice surprise and great addition to the 7800 library. :)

Amazing work, with refined gameplay and fantastic sound effects, I already love it.

The menu with the option to select 8 different background colors is greatly appreciated, perhaps it would be interesting to have a further option with random selection of the color each time you finish a level.

Just like a minor suggestion, I have prepared an alternative animation for the spider if it can be of help.

A big thanks to everyone involved in this project.

Marco

LMuv2L.png

u0nYnG.gif

• Like 2

This game is looking great!

I love the sound and like that certain sounds start to speed up making the game seem more frantic as you run around shooting enemies and looking for more arrows.

Oh and... that title screen is very cool!

It would be cool to see the background color change as the player levels up instead of allowing you to choose it before starting. I think it would give the player a sense of accomplishment. A sense that he's getting deepter into the game. The only way I can explain this is Ms. Pac-Man. As the levels go higher, the maze color changes and the fruit also changes. Just a suggestion.

Great job and looking forward to a cart release!

Edited by classicvidgamer
  • Like 1

I read the thread and the part about being low on space so therefore different mazes are out but what about a feature that was cut from the original game? Webs:

From the Intellivision Lives entry:

Originally, as the spider crawled around the maze it left a web that would slow you down considerably as you ran through it. You could shoot the web away, but you'd use up bullets. Without the web, the spider became like the bats: just a nuisance.

And for when you do a sequel ;-)

After Night Stalker was finished, game cartridges began getting larger in size, so Steve proposed Ms. Night Stalker, a 12K sequel that would include the web and all the other features he had wanted, including multiple weapons (bazookas to blast through walls!), multiple scrolling mazes and smarter robots.

This is a stellar game and surely homebrew of the year. I absolutely love what has been done here.

I did notice the shots travel much faster in the X direction than Y direction, similar to the running speed. Not sure if that's something that could or should be balanced, but it might be nice. Also, I feel as though your character as a whole is able to run a bit too quickly, but that can also be a very good thing as the game gets more chaotic.

I think the only item on my wish list would be a random maze generator, but I have no idea if that is at all possible, given space limitations.

Again, major kudos and thanks!

• 1 month later...

RevEng and I aren't quite ready yet to post the latest version as there are still a few more changes that need to be made. In the meantime, David Exton has finished up on the label art and after getting his approval I wanted to share it with everyone. He did an amazing job!

post-2143-0-97518800-1433089514_thumb.png

• Like 6