IGNORED

Sega Genesis 2 - no stereo

netbeui

Hi everyone, I've searched for an answer to this but I can't find anything anywhere :(

I have a model 2 genesis and I've purchased 2 different A/V cables for it, one from amazon and one from Lukie games but neither of them produce stereo sound. I'm using the HD Retrovision test rom from here to test the sound. I'm loading the rom through an Mega Everdrive.

From everything I've read it sounds like the model 2 should play stereo through the A/V cable. Does anyone know why this isn't working for me? If you have a genesis model 2 and an A/V cable can you let me know if you have stereo sound?

Thanks in advance for any tips/help/advice!

I have a Genesis Model 2 and A/V cables, and I do get stereo sound. Someone else on AA had said the Model 2 was the only Genesis console with stereo. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225437-simple-question-regarding-genesis-23-av-wires/?p=3015860

Is there a chance that your cables are not functioning correctly or that the console itself might not be working correctly?

There is no reason why a Genesis 2 shouldn't be outputting Stereo. The only thing I can guess is that the cables you are purchasing aren't wired correctly.

All Genesis 2/MD2 motherboards support stereo output, so there's either something wrong with the cable or your receiver's settings.

I have a Genesis Model 2 and A/V cables, and I do get stereo sound. Someone else on AA had said the Model 2 was the only Genesis console with stereo. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225437-simple-question-regarding-genesis-23-av-wires/?p=3015860

Is there a chance that your cables are not functioning correctly or that the console itself might not be working correctly?

Nah that's false. You can get stereo out of a Model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive by connecting the headphone jack to the TV's audio by using a 3.5mm -> Audio RCA connector. (This is how I have mine hooked up). You will only get mono audio via the AV out though. Its the Genesis 3 which does not support stereo.

Edited by R.Bear

Thanks for the responses guys. The console works perfectly with real carts as well as any games loaded through the Everdrive. Do you know of any games that I can play to test stereo sound? Maybe that test rom that I'm using is screwy?

The second track on the Streets of Rage 2 sound test is a good indication. The track does a lot of panning between the speakers at the start.

Here's a recording from my console:

You should be able to notice the differences between the channels easily on that track.

It should also be noticable in the Sonic games when you collect rings, I think it alternates between the left and right speaker as you grab them.

Edited by R.Bear

Thanks for the tips. I tried Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog. It seems that the volume on one of my channels is lower than the other for some reason. It's gotta be something in the Genesis, I'm thinking it wouldn't be an easy fix so I'm just going to live with it.

Thanks for the tips. I tried Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog. It seems that the volume on one of my channels is lower than the other for some reason. It's gotta be something in the Genesis, I'm thinking it wouldn't be an easy fix so I'm just going to live with it.

Sorry to hear that. It must be a motherboard specific problem. If you add all the different revisions of the Genesis/Mega Drive together (Genesis, Genesis 2 and Genesis 3) there are about 17 different motherboard revisions. Perhaps you were unlucky and got a bad one.

Edited by R.Bear

Volume issues are also indicative of the capacitors possibly needed replaced in your Genesis. The model 1 HD Genesis has a bunch to replace, the model 2s not as much. Check out http://console5.com/store/kits/console-cap-kits/sega.html for the full lest of cap kits available for Sega consoles. I highly recommend Lucas and his kits as they have all been of very high quality with excellent pricing to boot!