IGNORED

Best Handheld ColecoVision?

TPR

I picked up one of the GCWZero units when they first became available and I see that there are quite a few other similar type of systems on the market. I've been fairly happy with the GCW (other than it's funky volume controls) and the emulators offered on it, but wondering if anyone has found something that is equally as good or better?

gcwzero2.jpg

Edited by TPR

I didn't even know that such a thing existed. What I would really like is a handheld that uses real ColecoVision cartridges! Imagine carrying such a thing and going to flea markets and yard sales, you could test and try used games right away!! Would be awesome!

Edited by Marcks73
  • Like 1

You know the frustrating (in the ironic sense of the word) aspect of devices like the GCWZero and the JXD S7800B? They look great, and I would love to buy one of these and fill them up to the rim with emulators and ROMs, and play all my favorite 8-bit and 16-bit games on the go. But I know I would never play with it, because I'm always busy with "more important stuff", and secondly because I cannot read a book (or play a handheld gaming device) while in a moving vehicle, because it makes me slightly nauseous. So you can understand that I feel no incentive to buy such gaming hardware if I'm hardly ever going to play with it.

Still, these are definately cool little machines. :)

I use a PSP-1000 and it works like a champ although the emulator(s) for ColecoVision are showing their age more and more... no MegaCart or SGM support.

Aside from that, it would be cool to hear from the owner of Ben Hecks CV Portable.

Doubledown commisioned that handheld from Ben. I actually held it back in 2009 but battery was dead so I didn't get to play it.

• 1 month later...

The GCW Coleco emulator was made ...

By me :D !

I've got one GCW0, yes, it is a really nice Handheld.

Do you think there will ever be an update for the emulator? I still think this is easily the best handheld and emulator to play CV games on, and it would be great to have support for SGM as well. I still play it almost every day!

A few years ago I picked up a Dingoo A320 handheld and installed Linux (Dingux) on it. It runs CV games pretty well but the lack of a number pad makes things slightly confusing. ;)

Yeah, I have one of the A320's as well and it's not nearly as nice as the GCW Zero. With alekmaul's emulator, you can at least map 6 of the number pad buttons to different buttons on the system, so I can play games like Mouse Trap just fine.

FYI - I noticed that the voice clips from Bagman don't play in the GCW Zero.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the GCWzero is still being made/sold? Amazon seems to be out of them. Do these devices function the same as the Atgames handheld Sega Genesis?

No, the GCW-Zero is a general purpose emulation handheld, while the presently released version of the AtGames handheld only plays (most) Genesis ROMs. I got my GCW-Zero through Kickstarter quite a while back and still haven't gotten around to setting it up. I'd be willing to sell it for $150 shipped if interested.

The Game Boy Advance with a flash cart actually makes a pretty good ColecoVision. I was honestly surprised, and impressed.

I'm all about the PSP now, since I have a Go and have been itching to get the most out of it. I'll have to check out what's available for that system, because it would be my personal preference for handheld retro gaming.