IGNORED

Game Factory

Eric7100

Mine arrived.

It seems to mostly work, but the game "Guess Who's Going to be Dinner" doesn't work. I see a lot of garbage on screen, some of the dinosaur heads move around the screen briefly, and then the screen goes all green and then all black. The screen doesn't look like the manual (released separately). I tested this on 2 consoles and 2 ECSs (one US and one Euro).

Is that expected behavior? I understand that this was an unreleased and perhaps incomplete game.

I have the slight feeling that there was no quality control involved.

How could this game ever got the Intellivision seal of approval?

I have heard of one talented individual that has utilized GF code or design for certain things. But I dont know much details.

Mine arrived.

It seems to mostly work, but the game "Guess Who's Going to be Dinner" doesn't work. I see a lot of garbage on screen, some of the dinosaur heads move around the screen briefly, and then the screen goes all green and then all black. The screen doesn't look like the manual (released separately). I tested this on 2 consoles and 2 ECSs (one US and one Euro).

Is that expected behavior? I understand that this was an unreleased and perhaps incomplete game.

The rom was on Intellivision Rocks - does it work in emulation? My ECS is acting up, so I'm not able to check my cart.

Per the official Intellivision site, the game was finished:

Game Factory

ECS CARTRIDGE [#4539/UNRELEASED]

Aka: Game Maker

Design/Program: David Stifel

Graphics: Karl Morris

lives.gifPlay this game on Intellivision Rocks for Windows & Mac!

factory_screen.gifDESCRIPTION

Now you can create your own video games without having to do all the work. Because our Game Maker comes with the graphics and game play already designed for you. You choose from a library of characters, backgrounds and gameplay, then create your own custom video game. You can even plug any regular Intellivision game cartridge into the system to borrow your favorite Intellivision characters!

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY

Designed for the Entertainment Computer System, this was the last game finished atMattel Electronics - David Stifel completed it on the day before the final layoff.

Although it was never released, David was sure the game had potential. At his next job, designing computer software, he was constantly called on to put together demos of the software he was working on. He realized the principles he used in Game Factory could be applied to a software prototyping tool. He proposed this to his new company, but they didn't see the potential in it. Later, he saw that another company was releasing such a tool. "There, that's exactly what I had in mind," he told his boss. But his company still wasn't interested in pursuing it.

The rival program he saw was Director, which went on to become the main authoring tool of multimedia projects

Mine arrived.

Game Factory requires additional RAM in the cartridge, otherwise it will crash when you try to run a game. It's basically worthless without the additional RAM so far as I can tell.

The rom was on Intellivision Rocks - does it work in emulation?

It works great in jzIntv with a proper .cfg file (to enable the extra RAM). It also works great on the real hardware if the extra RAM is present. (Tested w/ LTO Flash! just now. Also tested that removing RAM leads to the observed crash, and to other menus, such as "Special Effects" crashing.)

I don't have whatever cartridge was (apparently) sold, so I clearly can't test that. I wasn't even aware someone was trying to sell physical copies of this title until this thread appeared.

Edited by intvnut

It works great in jzIntv with a proper .cfg file (to enable the extra RAM). It also works great on the real hardware if the extra RAM is present. (Tested w/ LTO Flash! just now. Also tested that removing RAM leads to the observed crash, and to other menus, such as "Special Effects" crashing.)

I don't have whatever cartridge was (apparently) sold, so I clearly can't test that. I wasn't even aware someone was trying to sell physical copies of this title until this thread appeared.

does the .rom work or do i have to have a .bin/.cfg? Edited by pimpmaul69

Game Factory requires additional RAM in the cartridge, otherwise it will crash when you try to run a game. It's basically worthless without the additional RAM so far as I can tell.

now it's getting funny...

Happy Easter by the way!

Edited by Intymike

does the .rom work or do i have to have a .bin/.cfg?

If you have a .ROM created from the correct BIN+CFG, it should work fine. I tested that just now to be sure.

Note that the .CFG on Intellivision Rocks! doesn't list all the ROM segments, only the RAM segment. I've updated my big spreadsheet of configs (and corresponding ZIP file) to ensure the correct .CFG is included.

EDIT: Everything seems to work in both the BIN+CFG version and the ROM version created from it. I wasn't able to fully test the game save/load functionality. It does start up the tape drive when saving (as evidenced by a click from the relay in the unit), but I don't have a cassette drive (or a patch cable to my sound card) hooked up at the moment to capture what it tries to save.

Edited by intvnut