IGNORED

New Speech in PEB adapter card

coolio, I'm a computer programmer by profession. Java mostly, though I'm pretty capable in a number of languages. It's tough finding a local programmer position since so many programming jobs get outsourced overseas these days. I'm checking in some hospitals around here, since they often have in-house programmers.

Thanks for the best wishes guys! I'll let you know if anything develops.

• 1 year later...

I know Greg had a few PCB's and components ordered and ready to put together last year. Not sure if he ever got around to it, I know life got in the way like with most of us.

I think I recall him stating the PCB was not through hole design so surface mount I think.

Hopefully he will log in soon to answer and we could all see this come to fruition.

Hey, all! Thanks for the renewed interest in this project. Here's the long overdue update:

I recently got married and moved, and my new house had to accommodate both my stuff and my wife's, so the basement area which I plan on converting into my TI lab still hasn't been set up yet. However, this project is still alive and well in my head.

I am toying with the idea of building a replacement PEB interface card. I am also well into the final stages of designing a way to connect the PEB to the TI using an ordinary 40-pin IDE hard drive ribbon cable. (Yes, I know that's not enough pins, I'm using some clever techniques to make it work.) The ultimate plan is to be able to buy an off-the-shelf 3-foot hard drive cable and use it to connect your PEB. You can even get round IDE cables to make your desk less messy.

So my thinking is this: the PEB-side connector card for this new interface doesn't need to be very big with today's modern chips, so there's enough room to relocate my Speech-to-PEB circuit to this new card. In other words, the new TI-to-PEB connection card would have an optional card edge connector where you could stick a speech synth, if you had one. So it'd kill two birds with one stone.

How's that sound? Would using a standard IDE cable be better for the PEB? And having the connection card pulling double duty with the Speech Synth to save PEB slots as well?

• Like 5

I'd like to see an adaptor that is not proprietary to the ide cable alone. Maybe a standard passthrough connection as well for a 32k memory expansion.

I'm working things out on paper and was planning to make a 3d model mock up of something I have in mind. Nothing as dramatic as changing the cable. More so a mini backplane that can take a series siren speech synth inserted vertically as well a a/v adapter fir the existing peb interface to be connected vertically (on its side, and continue with a pass through for the 32k side cart.

I'll try to doodle something shortly.

Hey, all! Thanks for the renewed interest in this project. Here's the long overdue update:

I recently got married and moved, and my new house had to accommodate both my stuff and my wife's, so the basement area which I plan on converting into my TI lab still hasn't been set up yet. However, this project is still alive and well in my head.

I am toying with the idea of building a replacement PEB interface card. I am also well into the final stages of designing a way to connect the PEB to the TI using an ordinary 40-pin IDE hard drive ribbon cable. (Yes, I know that's not enough pins, I'm using some clever techniques to make it work.) The ultimate plan is to be able to buy an off-the-shelf 3-foot hard drive cable and use it to connect your PEB. You can even get round IDE cables to make your desk less messy.

So my thinking is this: the PEB-side connector card for this new interface doesn't need to be very big with today's modern chips, so there's enough room to relocate my Speech-to-PEB circuit to this new card. In other words, the new TI-to-PEB connection card would have an optional card edge connector where you could stick a speech synth, if you had one. So it'd kill two birds with one stone.

How's that sound? Would using a standard IDE cable be better for the PEB? And having the connection card pulling double duty with the Speech Synth to save PEB slots as well?

Very nice idea Greg!

• 4 years later...
22 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Sorry for the necrobump, but did anything ever come out of this project?  Is there a speech synthesizer in the PEB solution yet?

I've not seen hide nor hair of Mr. Warner online in years.  I think he abandoned the project due to some incompatibility with the Geneve, although the prototype worked just fine on a regular TI.  I also think there were layoffs where he worked, IIRC he got married, and then life took him down another path.  Now, you will have to confirm this with @Ksarul but I seem to remember him getting his hands on one of the prototypes.  So, if anyone could revive this project it could be him (if there is enough interest), but with things not yet made, the wait could be longer than what you want.

Now if you are willing to wait almost as long, the CorComp Triple Tech Card is one solution, but those suckers are rare.  It took me over a year before I was able to obtain one one. 

Edited by Omega-TI

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Sorry for the necrobump, but did anything ever come out of this project?  Is there a speech synthesizer in the PEB solution yet?

I have one I've been working on off and on, but it has been a backburner project. I need to make a couple of test boards using my laest layout to see if the changes I've made cleared the bugs in my first iteration test boards.

• Like 4