IGNORED

[LYNX] Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

jfmateos

The first batch has been sent.

I will make a second batch... there are still a couple of cards of this second batch that are not reserved; if someone is interested, please inquiry through my contact form:

http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/index.php/en/contact

It will take at least two weeks to receive all the components.

Thanks for supporting my developments.

• Like 1

Got mine today! Works great! Note with 512Kb images you need to use the link on Mateos website in order for it to structure the bytes correctly:- http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/alynxconverter/

I did try writting standard 512Kb .lyx files but I guess since there's only one way the flash ROM is wired up that's why they need reformatting using his link. 256Kb ROMs work as straight .lyx files I think.

Just looking at how he's restructured the 512Kb ROMs here - the first 1024 bytes (minus 64 byte header obviously) match the same. Then the data beyond $400 is completely different.

eg. 8F 04 FB 09 becomes 73 33 55 A2

I guess that makes sense, bits must be transposed somewhere. I've never really looked at the 512Kb layout much.

Thank you very much GadgetUK,

This is the pseudocode I use to rewrite the 512kb.

• Ignore 64 bytes header
  • do i=0;i<256
    • read 1024 bytes from source file and write them in the output file
    • read 1024 bytes just to forward the index inside the file
  • enddo
  • rewind the source file to start
  • do i=0;i<256
    • read 1024 bytes just to forward the index inside the file
    • read 1024 bytes from source file and write them in the output file
  • enddo

And this is the soruce code in php:

//Desechar la cabecera de 64 bytes
fread ( $rh , 64 );

//Escribir los primeros semi-bloques				
for($i=0;$i<256;$i++){
	$cadena=fread($rh,1024);
	echo $cadena;
	fread($rh,1024);
}

//Escribir los segundos semi-bloques
rewind($rh);

//Desechar la cabecera de 64 bytes
fread ( $rh , 64 );				
for($i=0;$i<256;$i++){
	fread($rh,1024);					
	$cadena=fread($rh,1024);
	echo $cadena;
}
  • Like 1

Thanks, I've added the option into my utility and tested other size of ROMs. It looks like 256Kb EPYX type 'just work' without any issues. In order to get 128Kb ROMs working I use the mode in my util to convert 128Kb -> 256Kb (EPYX), then they work fine. Now has the 512Kb -> 512Kb (Mateos) option as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2auwo2drgka9bbg/ImageConvert.1.0.0.1.zip?dl=0

EDIT: Can I ask a question - how does the 512Kb thing work regards the rotary switch? For example I have a 512Kb game in the 0 slot, and that works. In slot 1 I have a 256Kb game and that works OK - this is NOT what I would have expected, I assumed that in 512Kb setting the first game would fill slots 0 (lower 256Kb) and slot 1 (upper 256Kb). Does 512Kb in the first slot mean that 0 and 8 are used?

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 3

Yes! I got my copy also.

In order to program a lnx file you need to strip the first 64 bytes. For Linux people this is simply

tail -c 262144 mygame.lnx > mygame.lyx

Then you just connect your card using USB and drag the lyx file to the cart. Eject the drive and enjoy the game :)

Edit: In order to write games with 512 bytes/block you need to do this:

tail -c 131072 mygame.lnx > mygame.tmp
split -b 512 mygame.tmp
for fn in `ls x??`; do
cat $fn >> mygame.lyx
cat $fn >> mygame.lyx
done
rm x?? mygame.tmp
Edited by karri
  • Like 1

GadgetUK,

I also asked jfmateos.
For the 512k roms slots 0 and 8 / 1 and 9 / 2 and a /... are used in pairs so for selecting the games use 0 up to 7.

Also for quickly loading multiple games there is no need to disconect the USB cable.
Use this procedure

1. Select first slot to load and connect USB Cable
  2. Copy over the ROM file.
  3. Delete the ROM file (Shift-Del)
  4. Select new slot with switch
  5. Continue from step 2 onwards until all slots are loaded.

For making 128K ROMs work just double them up and load them up to the cartridge.

Edited by StijnDW

Thanks, I've added the option into my utility and tested other size of ROMs. It looks like 256Kb EPYX type 'just work' without any issues. In order to get 128Kb ROMs working I use the mode in my util to convert 128Kb -> 256Kb (EPYX), then they work fine. Now has the 512Kb -> 512Kb (Mateos) option as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2auwo2drgka9bbg/ImageConvert.1.0.0.1.zip?dl=0

EDIT: Can I ask a question - how does the 512Kb thing work regards the rotary switch? For example I have a 512Kb game in the 0 slot, and that works. In slot 1 I have a 256Kb game and that works OK - this is NOT what I would have expected, I assumed that in 512Kb setting the first game would fill slots 0 (lower 256Kb) and slot 1 (upper 256Kb). Does 512Kb in the first slot mean that 0 and 8 are used?

¡Guauuuuu! Thank you very much for your video-review...

The instructions can be found in my website: http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/index.php/en/mvbd-mvmc-3/howto-burn-rom

If you select 512kb mode, the slots are combined in pairs: 0 and 8, 1 and 9, 2 and A, and so on.

If you write a 512kb in slot 0 it will also extend into slot 8... so be carefull; if you had a 256kb game in slot 8 it would be overwritten by the 512kb game.

thank you very much Gadgetuk

• Like 1