IGNORED

[LYNX] Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

jfmateos

Has anyone documented what settings you used to transfer each homebrew to the cart using GadgetUKs program?

Cheers

It's not rocket science but I understand if you aren't that familiar with Lynx ROMs it might seem confusing at first.

.LNX files have a 64 byte header. Mateos flash cart does not need that header, only emulators make use of it. So firstly, tick the box to remove the header.

.LNX files less than or equal to 128Kb need to use either the 128K -> 256K (BLL or Epyx - it varies from game to game, most original Lynx games use Epyx I think, homebrew tends to be BLL).

.LNX files of 256Kb just need the header removing.

.LNX files of 512Kb need to be converted 512K -> 512K (Mateos).

A ROM without a header is usually named .LYX as the extension, but it can be anything, eg. .BIN, or .ROM etc.

If at some point if I get time I might work out whats required to get .o files to work, I think they need linking initially and probably need the encrypted boot loader adding etc.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

In order to turn a BLL *.o file into a *.lnx file you need to remove the BLL header

.word   $0880
        .dbyt   __RAM_START__
        .dbyt   __BSS_LOAD__ - __RAM_START__ + 10
        .byte   $42,$53
        .byte   $39,$33

Make a note of the start address and size data.

Then you need the encrypted miniloader from cc65/libsrc/lynx/bootldr.s

And the default directory entry where you insert the start address and size from the original bll header.

cc65/libsrc/lynx/defdir.s

All things could be compiled once and then just replace the load address and size to get the converter to work.

And finally add the original game content. So it is a bit complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear friends,

I have been on holidays till yesterday... I had a few messages about lynx cartridges availability and I think I have caught it all up, but if you have not received an answer from me, please let me know.

I have also read a the new thread messages: thank you very much roli, gadgetuk and karri. This is a very nice community.

Edited by jfmateos
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I've been having fun with my Atari Lynx 16in1 multi cart(THANKS jfmateos!). No problems converting/playing games till I tried the complete version of Eye of The Beholder rom that was recently released. Tried GadgetUKs converter with no luck.

This is all it did when started. The screen is actually bright red.

post-41713-0-59084900-1447925076_thumb.jpg

But then I tried jfmateos online converter and BAM! It worked!

post-41713-0-87513900-1447925079_thumb.jpg

I use GadgetUKs converter for all my converts but for some reason, EOTB just wants to be picky???

Edited by Krip316

I am not sure if EOTB needs converting, I think you might just be able to copy it straight across - I cannot remember, but I got it working OK on there. I will take a look tomorrow!

Oh... I thought they all had headers so I just automatically used the converter?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've contacted Juan regarding some issues I'm seeing with the 16 in 1 multicart.

I was able to put Eye of the Beholder on 0+8. Then I put AVP on 1, Bubble Trouble on 2, Centipede on 3, Krazy Ace on 4. I checked out the cart to make sure it works and all was fine. I then continued to populate the cart. I checked out my efforts, I now have AVP on 0 and 1, centipede on 2 and 3, Road riot on 4 and 5! All my games seem to have doubled up and now I can't write to some slots. A few times it's started to write to the card and hung, it then reports drive no longer available. Also when I plug the cart in it connects fine but shows no file, it's like that for all slots. Game plays on Lynx ok. I'm on Windows 7. Has anyone else experienced any issues like mine. I've tried a few things without much success. I'm having a break from it for now!

Rgds

BadPricey

Dear Bad,

It is a very odd issue. I guess it could be a problem with the rotary switch.

Regarding

Also when I plug the cart in it connects fine but shows no file, it's like that for all slots.

This is indeed the intended behaviour; windows must detect your burner as and empty 512kb write when you replug it; the previously burnt roms are still there and won't be erases unless you burn another rom on the same slot.

If windows detects in your burner a file named game.bin it means that something is wrong; probably the contacts are not properly aligned.

Very sorry for this problem... i will do my best to solve it.

• 1 month later...

Dear Bad,

It is a very odd issue. I guess it could be a problem with the rotary switch.

Regarding

This is indeed the intended behaviour; windows must detect your burner as and empty 512kb write when you replug it; the previously burnt roms are still there and won't be erases unless you burn another rom on the same slot.

If windows detects in your burner a file named game.bin it means that something is wrong; probably the contacts are not properly aligned.

Very sorry for this problem... i will do my best to solve it.

I would just like to point out that my problem was fixed by Juan sending me a new 16 in 1 card. The rotary switch was the cause of my problems. The new card works absolutely fine and I'm very pleased with the level of service I have received from Juan.

Rgds

BadPricey

• Like 2

I have one of these from the first batch but never got around to using it till now. Is anyone having issues with theirs with the following behaviors

1) Most of the time it will only show up as a 64KB size folder that has a 4kb file in it labeled game

2) if it does show up as a folder that you can write to it always shows up as 512k regardless if you have it to the switch for 256

3) Once you start to write a file to it it will get to 44% then disconnect as if you ejected the usb drive, plugging it back in and hitting retry a few times it will finally write.

4) most slots on the dial do not register any size what so ever regardless of how many times you try only about 4 slots will show up as a folder

I've tried it on multiple computers with both windows 7 and 10

Dear goaltoss,

When you connect the burner to your computer it should appear always (with the switch in 256k or 512k position) as an empty drive with 512 kb of free space.

If you see the file game.bin, this means that the burner has not properly detected the card; this usually happens when the card is not exactly aligned with the burner.

Please, try this using windows 7 (windows 10 can be a bit more cumbersome):

1. Insert the card into the burner aligning the contacts carefully.

2. Plug the burner into your computer... it should appear as an empty 512kb drive.

3. Drag a rom onto the drive.

Please, keep me informed about the result... i will do my best to solve this issue

My cart did this at first and had a file called "game" in each slot but I think I was caused by me manhandling it. Try giving the contacts a clean, turning the rotary dial a few times and connect everything carefully and straight trying to avoid touching any contacts or metal parts and connect the USB to the computer last.

Dear goaltoss,

When you connect the burner to your computer it should appear always (with the switch in 256k or 512k position) as an empty drive with 512 kb of free space.

If you see the file game.bin, this means that the burner has not properly detected the card; this usually happens when the card is not exactly aligned with the burner.

Please, try this using windows 7 (windows 10 can be a bit more cumbersome):

1. Insert the card into the burner aligning the contacts carefully.

2. Plug the burner into your computer... it should appear as an empty 512kb drive.

3. Drag a rom onto the drive.

Please, keep me informed about the result... i will do my best to solve this issue

I tried it again on Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit as well as windows 98SE just to kicks and giggles.

It performed the same behavior. I tried inserting the card at multiple depths in the card reader just to gauge a possible bad connection.

Honestly i think it might be a faulty dial on the rotary switch as it always show the same behavior on the corresponding slots, with some always working but other never working other than the the folder with the game file. Plus no matter what I set the switch to it always shows as a 512kb folder or a 64kb folder never a 256. My card is labeled #5 btw.

Dear goaltoss,

I will send you a replacement card as soon as possible (please, confirm me your shipping address through PM).

Please, would you be so kind to send me back your faulty card (of course I would pay the shipping cost)? I would like to further investigate this issue... it could be a rotary problem or a cold solder.

Edited by jfmateos
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have tried to find how to convert mod2lynx output .o file to .lnx, with ImageConvert sizes doesn't much (of 52kb .o, it outputs 103kb file, with all options except 512kb Mateos.

Seems that .o needs special handling, Karri's post above mentions removing BLL header (assuming that mod2lynx outputs BLL-files), it seems Karri means by removing the header if you've source code. Or not ? Checking with hex editor, perhaps ?