IGNORED

How do you organize stuff on your TI?

Omega-TI

Back in the early TI days, when the majority of us did not have more than a couple of 360K drives, keeping track of everything was not so difficult, as you could only get so much stuff on a single diskette. Now days it's not so easy, with large hard drives, HDX modifications, 720K controllers with multiple drives, RAM disks, etc. one little menu program that only stores a couple of dozen files doesn't quite cut it.

Ultimately I believe a cartridge based DOS type environment for the TI would be optimal, but since I don't see that happening, I have to ask... HOW ARE YOU ORGANIZING AND LOADING YOUR TI STUFF?

Things are rapidly getting out of control here and I need a better method. --- THANKS!

I am fortunate enough to have 4+ megs of storage on a couple of RAMdisks. I have three screens on MENU that link to my "most used" programs on RAMdisk (there are other sub-menus that provide more options). One of then entries is F'WEB which provides about 60 more programs. The last entry in MENU points to a copy of BOOT which allows for even more options - most of them on my second RAMdisk. It is very rare that I have to scrounge around through my disk collection to find a program that I need.

Well, I started with a small plastic desktop filing cabinet containing disks of original programs in the top drawer, game disks in the following three drawers, and utilities in the bottom two.

Then I got a HRD which made my life awesome.

Then I traded that for an MBX.

Then I started doing parallel storage... For every Classic99 DSK I had, I made a corresponding, labeled, 5.25 or 3.5 floppy.

That was a pain because I had to keep updating my disks when I would change something on the PC side.

Then I moved to this crap, tiny house, so all my work is done in Classic99 and all my storage is on the PC side. No fuss, but it sucks.

• Like 1

Custom 80 column menu written in GPL that loads any EA5 or XB program, most of which are stored on a 4 meg Ramdisk. The ones that don't fit on the Ramdisk are on the CF 'hard' drive. GPL programs on the menu are stored on the HSGPL card for instant access. Anything not on the main menu is on the BOOT menu. Pressing the spacebar moves the letters A through X to the right side of the menu to access those programs. Pressing Z brings up my HSGPL Loader menu so I can run additional carts loaded from CF 'hard' drive into the Gram space of the HSGPL .

gallery_29515_833_34954.jpg

• Like 4

Gazoo,

My ENVY METER just pegged out at maximum! I gotta ask, is that a Geneve program, or will that beauty run on an otherwise stock machine equipped with an F18A? This is something the community has needed for quite sometime.

It's definitely not a Geneve program. It runs on my TI Snug system, with modified AVPC card to include speech. You also need the HSGPL card, because that's where the 1 meg of Grom resides. I don't know if it would run on a F18A or not, because apparently the F18A isn't 9938 compatible.

My Geneve menu is also custom, and with color. :)

gallery_29515_833_18319.jpg

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 4

Oh maaaaaaan, is this torture Ω week or what? ;)

I tell ya what, you post it here for download, and I'll see if it works on the F18A! :grin:

You do have the proper hardware to test it with, don't you? I'll have to send you the 1.5meg HSGPL image, the 4meg Horizon Ramdisk image, and the 256meg SCSI drive image for you to test it. Most of it would work without the SCSI drive, but you'd need the other 2 at a minimum. I can put together those images, but they would be worthless without the hardware to load them into. :( (and a lot of work on my part).

Gazoo

You do have the proper hardware to test it with, don't you?

Naw, I only have a TI with an F18 , a couple of 360K drives and an HDX. It would be a total waste of your time and effort. However, this would be the perfect opportunity to start a programming contest.

Do you think anyone would consider a Nano-PEB, 2 CF cards and a CF reader a suitable winning prize for making an 80 column program like BOOT with at least 24 choices per screen, and CorComp RTC compatibility? If there is any interest I could think up a couple of ideas for the program and only a few rules. I don't things things need to be overly complicated.

The winner would not be up to me, it would be by a public poll of TI users here on AA that became members before the first of this month. Do you think 4 to 6 months would be a suitable time period for a person to make a decent program?

• Like 1

Back in the early TI days, when the majority of us did not have more than a couple of 360K drives

Well, for me it *IS* “Back in the early TI days”. As I’m only using the nanoPEB, I’m pretty spoiled already. :)

The only programs I’m using are:

BOOT

LOAD

CFMGR

CFHDXS1

GROMCFG

CATALOG

ASSM1

ASSM2

EDIT1

bal022.obj

bal023.obj

bal024.obj etc.

all those files, and the list is growing, are in V9T9 format and placed in DSK1 from Classic99. With CFHDXS1 and a null modem cable I copy those files to the nanoPEB. Unfortunately, I don’t have the HDX1 device to my disposal, that only works with the PEB and the original RS232 card which also has to be patched. :(

Of course a lot of game DSK’s, for playing most cartridge games from nanoPEB disk drives. Found here on the forum.

So when I read about the program BOOT, I tried it out, and was quite happy with the improvement. That’s about everything I have to handle to this point.

• Like 1

I use the XB2.7 cartridge for most of my needs that has the different utilities. For specific programs that I use that are no loaded in the XB 2.7 cart like Telco and my BBS code I load up the BOOT menu that is F18A enabled. These programs are saved on my SCSI drive.

I have setup my SCSI directory structure as simple as I could make it.

UTILS

GAMES

BBS

COMM

etc..