IGNORED

External Floppy Drive control line select switch?

Diecrusher

Hi all,

Stumbled upon this for the 1st time today and it is exactly like something that I would like to do to my PEB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-9jtgDaul4

I've heard of adding a dip switch to drive select sockets on the drives themselves to do this but it sounds really cool to have the switch external.

Any one do this mod?

I am still trying to wrap my head around exactly how it was done, any ideas? In the video it looks as if they can be switched on the fly to which is something that I at first thought wouldn't be safe for the hardware but it obviously works.

Any input greatly appreciated.

It's pretty easy. You have to hack the cable. You'll need some extra wire to run from the DPDT switch to the cable. I made a quick drawing of the necessary connections.

The 2 wires that make the x in the middle of the switch are NOT connected together in the middle of the x, they cross without touching.

gallery_29515_833_5580.jpg

Gazoo

• Like 1

Hi Gazoo,

do you think it is better to take an "ON-OFF-ON" or an "ON-ON" - DPDT-Switch ?

I think maybe the "On-Off-On"-switch, procuding a short "break" while switching, is better/"safer" ?

Thanks,

Ralf

ON-OFF-ON: http://www.ebay.de/itm/121177962678

ON-ON: http://www.ebay.de/itm/111611966719

/EDIT/ Did you see, in the video, the modded TI, on the right, under the desktop ? :)

Edited by schmitzi

I think that's Marc's video. :)

He does great stuff... Crystal upgrades, 32k-in console mods, built the SIDBlaster card... A fine fellow, in my estimation. :) He actually got me into game making and helped a ton on my first game, Lemonade Stand.

No way I'd be doing what I do without his support and friendship. He sucked me in to this programming thing. LOL!!!

• Like 2

Tony nailed it. It's just your basic four way switch that crosses the travelers.

I used to wire houses eons ago and that experience finally paid off ;-)....

Ralf... that's my custom console with a bunch of switches. Has a fast crystal switch (not recommended), a wait state defeat for 32k16 memory, a reset and pause button and finally a rotary cart selector that picks from 5 carts in the console. Also has a switch for a twelve volt fan to keep the whole mess cool. Front keyboard plate holds Mike's ps2 keyboard adapter and the fan. Bit of a beast but it's kinda cool to me.

Hull.

Awesome stuff! Thanks everyone for your input!

So, no issues with with switching on the fly or is it best to power down before switching?

No need to power down, just don't switch it while the drives are being accessed.

Gazoo

• Like 1