IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters - Round 2

nurmix

Hey guys, I'm starting this new thread for the various adapters I make since the old thread was getting a bit long, and the original posting didn't contain the various adapters I now offer. The original thread can be found here.

Here is the current lineup of adapters and extension cables I have for sale:

Intellivision 1 Flashback Controller Adapters

(for the original console, INTV, Radio Shack etc. variations with the "hard wired" controllers):

Inty1_adapters_04R.jpg

Inty1_adapters_05R.jpg

These are $24/pair (only sold in pairs). Approximate length is 18 inches.

Intellivision II / Sears Flashback Controller Adapters

(for the Intellivision II and Sears consoles with the removable db9 connector controllers):

Inty2_adapters_01R.jpg

Inty2_adapters_02R.jpg

These are $14 each, or two for $26. If desired, you can specify the color of the decorative heat shrink tubing near the cable ends. Black is also an option. If not specified, you will receive whatever color I have in stock at the time. Approximate length is 6 feet.

Standard db9 controller extension cables - 6 foot length

(for Intellivision II / Sears consoles, Atari 2600 / 7800, Sega Genesis, Atari and Commodore computers; basically anything that uses a standard db9 type connector):

6ft_extension_cables.jpg

These are $7.00 each.

Colecovision Y-Adapter cable - allows connection of standard Colecovision system controller and an additional compatible joystick (Atari 2600, etc) without the need to unplug / swap controllers one at a time. Should work fine on other consoles that use db9 connectors - but only tested on a Colecovision):

Colecovision_Y-adapter.jpg

These are $12 each. If desired, you can specify the color of the heat shrink tubing, including black. If not specified, you will receive whatever color I have in stock at the time. Approximate length is 24 inches.

-----------------------------------------------

Please send me a PM here on Atari Age if you are interested in any of these cables. Include your shipping / address information, and preferably an email address, and I will get back to you with a total. Payment is via PayPal. Credit cards (processed through my business - White Flag Computing) are also an option if you don't use PayPal. You can also email adapters@intellivisionaries.com instead of sending a PM if you prefer.

Shipping is not included in the above prices. USA orders will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail (usually flat rate small box, which is $6.80 - the price went up January 2016, it used to be $5.95). I can also ship USA orders via First Class Mail in a padded mailer for a little bit less. International orders will be shipped via USPS International First Class (padded mailer - price varies depending on weight and destination).

Thanks!

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose at this point most of the Atari Agers who wanted them already have them, but just want to clarify that I still have these available.

That said, once I go through my current supply of 'donor cables', I will most likely discontinue making them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea, how about making some Intellivision 1 cables that work with the Sears and INTV II controllers. Just another variation on this great service you are offering! They would also be valuable if AtGames ever releases a version of the controller that matches the original pinout.

Also, what is the connector called that connects to the Intv 1 board and where did you buy it?

Here's an idea, how about making some Intellivision 1 cables that work with the Sears and INTV II controllers. Just another variation on this great service you are offering! They would also be valuable if AtGames ever releases a version of the controller that matches the original pinout.

Also, what is the connector called that connects to the Intv 1 board and where did you buy it?

Sure, that's an option. I don't think there's a big demand for that, but if anyone wants those, they'll be the same price as a pair of Flashback adapters for the Intellivision 1, since it will be the same parts and time involved.

I can also make adapters that allow the use of a Sears or Intellivision II controller on the Flashback; although I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

As for the motherboard connector, it's called a 9-pin SIP / inline [female] connector. It typically does not come with the pins installed. You have to buy the plastic housings, and the [female] pins separately. And the pins have to be inserted into each hole after attaching the individual wires. The female pins are usually crimped onto the wires, but I prefer to solder the wires to them. It's actually faster for me to do it that way, and the bond is better electrically.

I have gotten the housings and pins from a couple different sources. The last being Mouser Electronics. I've also found them on ebay. The pricing varies widely, depending on quantity ordered.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

Let me say that what you are doing is awesome, so I do not intend to sound critical.

I guess I am still hoping that AtGames will produce a version of the controller that is fully compatible with the original console - at that point you'd have loose controllers for sale that folks could buy to replace their Model 1 controllers. I've also built a custom joystick that works with the original pinout, and I know that another user on here did the same.

In my case, I'd be interested in seeing an "original" adapter come out of the model 1 and then the additional flashback adapter IF you want to use those, but that would look like an Octopus that would only be interesting to a few . . . probably.

Let me say that what you are doing is awesome, so I do not intend to sound critical.

I guess I am still hoping that AtGames will produce a version of the controller that is fully compatible with the original console - at that point you'd have loose controllers for sale that folks could buy to replace their Model 1 controllers. I've also built a custom joystick that works with the original pinout, and I know that another user on here did the same.

In my case, I'd be interested in seeing an "original" adapter come out of the model 1 and then the additional flashback adapter IF you want to use those, but that would look like an Octopus that would only be interesting to a few . . . probably.

I'm adding Flashback-adapted ports to one of my Intellivision 1 consoles. I'll keep the original controllers installed, as they are, and then have serial port type connectors mounted in the case (most likely in the lower front of the console). That way I can use the original controllers, or plug in Flashback controllers if desired.

By the way, if I make standard pin-out [sIP to db9] cables to use Sears/Inty II controllers on an original console, all you'd need to do to use a Flashback controller would be to also plug in one of my Sears/Inty II Flashback adapters. It would make for a LONG cable, but I suppose that could be seen as a benefit?

But yeah, you could also have 2 sets of male db9 connectors coming into the controller bays; one set for standard controllers, the other for Flashback controllers. I'd just have to double up the wiring/pins on the SIP connector in the correct order(s).

Do you have any pictures of your custom joystick setup? My only issue with joysticks adapted to the Intellivision (like the awesome ones grips03 makes) is that you only get 8 directions. And there are so many games on the Intellivision that use (and benefit from) 16 directions.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread to let everyone know my stock of supply cables is almost gone, and I don't think I'll be ordering any more given demand has dropped off significantly at this point. So if anyone still wants adapter cables for their Inty II or original console, now would be a good time to let me know, as they likely won't be made again.

Thanks.

Bumping this thread to let everyone know my stock of supply cables is almost gone, and I don't think I'll be ordering any more given demand has dropped off significantly at this point. So if anyone still wants adapter cables for their Inty II or original console, now would be a good time to let me know, as they likely won't be made again.

Thanks.

Ill take two more for my Sears unit

I'll take another set, sir.

Thanks.

Thanks.

OK, guys. I'm currently out of adapter cables and supply cables.

:-o

I'm planning to get more supply cables, but I won't get the same deal on them this time, as my supplier raised the price + I won't be ordering in bulk this time around. That said, if you're still interested in getting adapter cables, let me know. They will be made 'on demand' going forward.

* Each cable will cost an additional $1 US:

Intellivision II / Sears Flashback controller adapters will be $14 each or two for $26.

Intellivision 1 Flashback controller adapters will be $24/pair

6' DB9 extension cables will be $8 each or two for $15

Thanks to all who ordered. And again, contact me if you still want them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm adding Flashback-adapted ports to one of my Intellivision 1 consoles. I'll keep the original controllers installed, as they are, and then have serial port type connectors mounted in the case (most likely in the lower front of the console). That way I can use the original controllers, or plug in Flashback controllers if desired.

By the way, if I make standard pin-out [sIP to db9] cables to use Sears/Inty II controllers on an original console, all you'd need to do to use a Flashback controller would be to also plug in one of my Sears/Inty II Flashback adapters. It would make for a LONG cable, but I suppose that could be seen as a benefit?

But yeah, you could also have 2 sets of male db9 connectors coming into the controller bays; one set for standard controllers, the other for Flashback controllers. I'd just have to double up the wiring/pins on the SIP connector in the correct order(s).

Do you have any pictures of your custom joystick setup? My only issue with joysticks adapted to the Intellivision (like the awesome ones grips03 makes) is that you only get 8 directions. And there are so many games on the Intellivision that use (and benefit from) 16 directions.

It took me a while to get back to this, but we were thinking along the same lines in terms of the adaptation of the various controllers. I think I've asked you this before but what is the connector called that you have on the end of the Model 1 adapter? Where did you get it?

The joystick I built only has 8 directions and you can see details here

I liked hacking that up over building my own because the parts were all in there and it was big enough to work inside. There is a forum post on these boards here where a guy played with 16 way. It isn't so hard, but the easiest way to do it would be to simply have 8 switches. In a build-your-own arcade stick that isn't out of the question at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Update time!

I decided to make some more of these, as I recently got another small shipment of supply cables and parts.

Flashback controller adapters for your Intellivision II / Sears console are $14/each (or $26/pair).

Inty2_adapters_03R.jpg

Flashback controller adapters for your original (model 2609 and compatible) Intellivision console are $24/pair.

Inty1_adapters_04R.jpg

Shipping in the US is via Priority Mail (or First Class if you want to save a buck or two). Shipping outside the US is First Class International.

Post here or send me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks!