IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters - Round 2

nurmix

On 9/17/2018 at 6:27 PM, nurmix said:

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

Hi Nurmix,

Your signature means that you are using an original Intellivision KC connected to a PC/ Internet?

What is the Jack’s Conversational Intelli-talk cassette???

Looks supercool! Could you send some pics of your set-up? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hi Nurmix,

Your signature means that you are using an original Intellivision KC connected to a PC/ Internet?

What is the Jack’s Conversational Intelli-talk cassette???

Looks supercool! Could you send some pics of your set-up? Thanks!

I think the Intelli-talk cassette was an expansion to Physical Conditioning cassette, and it used the KC microphone. When you combined that with your PlayCable unit and your KC, it all formed a primitive sort of Peloton setup, but for jumping jacks, pushups, and situps kind of activities. The trickiest part was that you had to manually sync up when you and your instructor started. That was one of the features the microphone was used for. Those Intellivision guys really thought of pretty much everything over 40 years ago!

• Haha 2

Everything you need to know is in the video below, which I made a few years ago. This shows the adapter cables for the Intellivision II / Sears Super Video Arcade. And yes, as others have noted, I reversed the pinout numbers on one end, but others have posted the correct numbering in this thread. I just did it in a way that made sense to my brain at the time, as I’ve seen db9 PIN numbering begin on both the top left pin and the bottom right in various diagrams. And you can’t go by wire color, as those vary widely from cable to cable, although generally speaking, once you pick up a supply of ‘donor’ extension cables from the same supplier, the colors are usually consistent within that group.

I never put together a video for the Intellivision 1 adapters, although I did record the process. And yes, it’s plastic conduit under heat shrink tubing.

On another note, while I simply don’t have time to make these myself these days, one of my techs [for my IT business] said he’s interested in doing it now. I’m working out the details and will post here when he starts.

I know a lot of you have emailed the podcast asking about them. I have left all the emails unread so I’d remember to go back to them when I started up again. So I will be replying to them once things are back up and running.

https://youtu.be/a8uumOVkiNY

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, wongojack said:

Ok, I made 3 of these this week.  All 3 using donor PC DB9 cables.  One was sort of a prototype cable with disconnects that I can use for other projects.  I went to the extra (and somewhat insane) step of whittling down the female end of the PC DB9 so that it will fit into the Intv II controller port.  I've actually done that before, but was reminded how time consuming and silly of an idea it is.  Oh well, if you have a lot of those PC DB9 cables then know that it can be done.  The first time I attempted to whittle at them, I had a virtually endless supply.  Anyway, I managed to get all the wires re-connected and do it in a splice that is reasonably small and still follows the contour of the cord.  It is careful work, and I'm now convinced that Nurmix wasn't charging enough for these. 

I still have one question from these photos.  What is the extra piece of outer cord wrap on them?  I can't seem to find any kind of heat wrap that looks anything like it.  Did Nurmix use heatshrink on top of some split loom wrap or something here?  Same question about the pink stuff on the picture of the Coleco Y adapter above.

image.thumb.png.d81eb02354693288a661181c8ed92263.png

59 minutes ago, nurmix said:

Everything you need to know is in the video below, which I made a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/a8uumOVkiNY

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm scratching my head to figure out what you did for a cord wrap here.  What is that thing?

4 hours ago, intvsteve said:

I think the Intelli-talk cassette was an expansion to Physical Conditioning cassette, and it used the KC microphone. When you combined that with your PlayCable unit and your KC, it all formed a primitive sort of Peloton setup, but for jumping jacks, pushups, and situps kind of activities. The trickiest part was that you had to manually sync up when you and your instructor started. That was one of the features the microphone was used for. Those Intellivision guys really thought of pretty much everything over 40 years ago!

Hi Steve,

It’s really amazing all this stuff.

Play cable, Keyboard Component, Physical Conditioning Cassette... All mixed together.

For an ultra beginner as I am it looks like pure science-fiction !!!

I didn’t even know that the KC had a microphone...

Yes, those Intellivision developers made really incredible stuff 40 years ago...

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm scratching my head to figure out what you did for a cord wrap here.  What is that thing?

As indicated in a few posts, it is split wire loom that is covered with heat shrink tubing

Do a search for "wire loom" or "split wire loom" 

It is available in a number of diameters and colors, but since it is going to be covered in heat shrink tubing, then get what is cheapest (probably black)

image.thumb.png.e65f60d522c2f6f6b7e67b3460e67019.png

16 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

As indicated in a few posts, it is split wire loom that is covered with heat shrink tubing

Do a search for "wire loom" or "split wire loom" 

It is available in a number of diameters and colors, but since it is going to be covered in heat shrink tubing, then get what is cheapest (probably black)

Which is what I guessed in my original question.  If so, what size?  Does it shrink down to the diameter of the cord? It looks loose, does it provide stability?  Protection for the joints?  Is it just for looks?  Is it "regular" heat shrink on top or self adhesive.  I'd love to get some details about it from @nurmix

The loom looks fancy under the shrink tubing, so it is partially cosmetic and it will offer some protection to the soldered wires, too.

measure the diameter of your cable and get a loom that will fit that.  A loom that is way too large of a diameter will be useless because the cable will be loose in the loom, and a loom diameter that is too small will have a gap along the split.  So everything is dependent on the diameter of your cable that you are using. 

If you can't get a perfect diameter loom for your cable, then you can get one that is slightly too large and then you can use a tie wrap at each end to cinch it down to the cable.  When it is all covered in the heat shrink tubing, then it will help hide that tie wrap (zip tie), too.  Having the loom cinched down on each end will also provide some extra "pull" strength, so loom is taking the pull force and not the soldered wires hiding within it.

The loom does not shrink with the heat, but if you get it very hot it will melt :) 

The diameter of the shrink tubing will also need to depend on the cable and loom diameters, too.  The "unshrunk" size needs to be large enough for the loom, and the "shrunk" size should be less than your cable diameter, so it will shrink down and be tight to the cable.

If you want it waterproof, then get the type with adhesive in it, otherwise use standard shrink tubing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Hi Steve,

It’s really amazing all this stuff.

Play cable, Keyboard Component, Physical Conditioning Cassette... All mixed together.

For an ultra beginner as I am it looks like pure science-fiction !!!

I didn’t even know that the KC had a microphone...

Yes, those Intellivision developers made really incredible stuff 40 years ago...

Well, the KC does have a microphone. I may have … embellished a little bit of the rest there. ;)

But, _not a joke_ - I think the microphone was intended to be used to record your voice for the Conversational French to check pronunciation. The cassette supported four tracks - two digital, two audio, one read-only (digital and audio) one read/write (digital and audio).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...