IGNORED

"windows" in Basic

gozar

There was also the "T:" handler, which came out on APX:

T: A Text Display Device

Which later became "Screens":

Screens Disk 1

Screens Disk 2

It doesn't use Graphics 0, but rather Graphic 8. Pretty neat utility, but alas it doesn't work with TBXL. I'm not sure what other BASIC's it might be compatible with, but it is designed for use in Atari BASIC.

Edited by MrFish

Screens Disk 1

Screens Disk 2

It doesn't use Graphics 0, but rather Graphic 8. Pretty neat utility, but alas it doesn't work with TBXL. I'm not sure what other BASIC's it might be compatible with, but it is designed for use in Atari BASIC.

The manual for the APX program is here:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-t-a-text-display-device_29633.html

I think it only works with the 800 OS, not the XL/XE.

Allan

IIRC, there were a couple of these that appeared about the same time. I remember one (in Antic) I think that had a very impressive demo where the the windows popped open and closed all over the screen. Pretty impressive stuff. Microsoft probably copied the idea... :-D

So we ultimately owe all the neat Windows stuff to the Atari 8-bit... ;)

-Larry

IIRC, there were a couple of these that appeared about the same time. I remember one (in Antic) I think that had a very impressive demo where the the windows popped open and closed all over the screen. Pretty impressive stuff. Microsoft probably copied the idea... :-D

So we ultimately owe all the neat Windows stuff to the Atari 8-bit... ;)

-Larry

Nice try but I think that distinction goes to Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center). The Xerox Alto GUI in 1973 (followed by the the "STAR" workstation GUI in 1981) "inspired" Apple and Sun to do their own GUI which ultimately inspired Microsoft to do Windows. Many people assume Apple invented the windows type GUI but that's not the case. Indeed, many of Apple's great "innovations" were bought, borrowed or stolen from somewhere else. ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi there Irgendwer.

Glad to read that you can find a disk with W: device.

Is it the same device window.obj Carsten Strottman used with his windowing routines ACTION! library?

Please publish the disk image if possible.

Thank you in advance.

ez

Screens Disk 1

Screens Disk 2

Since the topic came back up, I noticed the links to Screens are bad. Does anybody have a copy of these? I never downloaded them when the topic was new.

Since the topic came back up, I noticed the links to Screens are bad. Does anybody have a copy of these? I never downloaded them when the topic was new.

Actually, if you peek at the URLs that the links point to, they're just in the Holmes archive at Pigwa. So you probably have them. But for a fellow Ohioan...

Screens 1.0 A.atr

Screens 1.0 B.atr

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Is it the same device window.obj Carsten Strottman used with his windowing routines ACTION! library?

Could be, don't know.

Please publish the disk image if possible.

Since time has passed, this is even easier now:

From http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/get "Sonderheft 1" disk:

http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/HappyComputer/HC_Sonderheft1.7z

and boot "SONDER1C.ATR" in Basic.

To launch the test program:

POKE 106,144:DOS

L (BINARY LOAD)

WINDOWS.COM

B (RUN CARTRIDGE)

? USR(37120)

RUN "D:WINDBEIS.BAS"

Have fun!

Actually, if you peek at the URLs that the links point to, they're just in the Holmes archive at Pigwa. So you probably have them. But for a fellow Ohioan...

I'm noticing more and more Ohioans in Atariland.... Maybe we should look into having a little Atari get together sometime.

• Like 1

I'm noticing more and more Ohioans in Atariland.... Maybe we should look into having a little Atari get together sometime.

I think there always have been. It probably has something to do with the long winters.

Albert himself lives in Ohio (don't know if he's from here or not).

• Like 1

I think there always have been. It probably has something to do with the long winters.

Albert himself lives in Ohio (don't know if he's from here or not).

He may have at one point, but don't think he does anymore. Steve Tucker (AtariMax) lives around Cleveland, but has never been open to any kind of in person meeting.

Hi there, Ingendwer. Many thanks for your kind reply!

Hi there friends!

Really I think that Text User Interface is much more suitable for Atari then graphics and any mixted (as Screens).

My idea is to write TUI library for PL65 compiler.

This language is very impressive and much more readable then Basic.

Even more readable then Action!

As it has it's own embedded assembler I think that core part of TUI may be in assembly and access part in high level.

BUT! I'm not a programmer. Just trying it.

Best wishes from Moscow!

ez

Really? For some reason I thought it was Texas.

He may have at one point, but don't think he does anymore.

I see that now. I know he was here for a number of years -- from when I first started coming to AtariAge in 2005.

Steve Tucker (AtariMax) lives around Cleveland, but has never been open to any kind of in person meeting.

I guess I knew that; I've bought from him before (all good experiences, including very good support/help), but it was about 5 years ago.

I've seen quite a few folks from Ohio here over the years. Atari products were popular in the "midwest" -- as it's still called.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Really I think that Text User Interface is much more suitable for Atari then graphics and any mixted (as Screens).

There are some benefits to a Text UI, but there are plenty of downsides too. The biggest one is being stuck with mono-spaced fonts, which limit the number of characters per line.

We should have an AtariMax appreciation dinner/tech fest with Steve as the guest of honor... Just a good time with no hassles, trust me... he deserves it!

Now let's get back on topic, we are wondering all over the place and everywhere across the threads these days... I think I lost enough bits that I byte now...:(

Edited by _The Doctor__