IGNORED

atari 1010 problems help!

originaluser

I have a Atari 1010 tape deck, hong kong made. Last year it stopped playing so I got a new belt of ebay, not an official belt but one similar to the size that was on it, the tape drive plays, rewinds, forward winds no problem.

Now all I get when trying to load any cassettes is error codes 138,140,142,137. All happen within about 17-19 on the tape counter.

The belt I bought was 81mm which I think should be fine, as my original one was stretched and slack.

Could these error codes be caused by the new belt not having the correct tension or could they be due to the sio lead. Do sio leads need replacing as I do seem to get a lot of interference from it, I can move and twist the cable to make it either quiet or noisy.

I have also cleaned the heads and pinch with ipa.

Any recommendations on how to get rid of these errors would be grateful

Errors could be caused by bad belt tension. Equally by bad SIO cable. Moving the cable to make it sound quiet or noisy isn't indication of a bad cable, mine did that from new.

You can play an audio tape through the 1010 - it might give you an idea of whether the belt tension is good or not.

In Basic type POKE 54018,52

That will turn motor control on which allows playing tapes.

I have a Atari 1010 tape deck, hong kong made. Last year it stopped playing so I got a new belt of ebay, not an official belt but one similar to the size that was on it, the tape drive plays, rewinds, forward winds no problem.

Now all I get when trying to load any cassettes is error codes 138,140,142,137. All happen within about 17-19 on the tape counter.

The belt I bought was 81mm which I think should be fine, as my original one was stretched and slack.

Could these error codes be caused by the new belt not having the correct tension or could they be due to the sio lead. Do sio leads need replacing as I do seem to get a lot of interference from it, I can move and twist the cable to make it either quiet or noisy.

I have also cleaned the heads and pinch with ipa.

Any recommendations on how to get rid of these errors would be grateful

The Hong Kong (Chelco) 1010 is known to be unreliable. The Japan (Sanyo) 1010 is better.

Best Electronics sells a 'reliablity kit'. or something for 1010. They know a lot about the 1010.

(checking website: 408-270-1070 1:30 to 5:00 PM PST, Mon- Fri.)

Their website is

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Edited by russg

I would first start with the correct belt kit. Those are available on Ebay (a dude sells them there cheap). Just search for them. There is an adjustment for the 1010s. The adjustment screw is under the aluminum strip. It requires lifting up that strip (damage to the strip may occur). There are excellent discussions about 1010s and program recorders in general in the Archived ANTIC Magazines, available online, in the earlier issues. The articles are under the header, Tangle Angles by Carl Evans. Search there for more info on adjusting the program recorders. Good luck.

• Like 1

Could be dried up caps. The cassette deck for my TRS-80 worked fine when I last used it in '86 but was useless when I tried it a few weeks ago. Of course the belts were shot but even after replacing them the sound was horrible and no data could be read. Ended up replacing every capacitor and it now works like new.

• Like 1

One other thing I forgot to mention...

Make sure the little felt pressure pad in the center of the tape path is still there. I have at least a half dozen cassettes where the felt pad fell off. Without it in place, it'll read for a little bit and then drop out. I glued them back in place and the cassettes worked fine after that.

• 2 months later...

have you demagnetized the head? or even adjusted it? as regards the sio noise when lead is moved, electrical contact spray is good at cleaning the pins. also spray the actual lead connections too. helps get rid of dirt/oxidisation that affects the audio signal. hope you get it fixed.

I agree with the bad caps issue too, caps can be gone even if they aint bulging or burst open.

cheers