IGNORED

Super Mario All-Stars NES (SMB NES Quadrilogy Hack + SRAM_infidelity) [R25]

I only know of the Action 52 multi-cart. I googled for an "Action 52 NES flash cart"...no dice. I never knew of any NES flash carts other than the EverDrive and PowerPAK. It'd be nice to see one someday, that has the same compatibility as a good NES emulator.

I meant the Action 52 ROM is partially playable despite being too large.

I have a Kazzo. Got it a few months ago, with the intention of dumping a repro cart I own, of which there is currently no publicly available ROM. De nada. It's not quite as user friendly as the experience as ripping a CD or PS1 CD-ROM. I tried, but found the guide I used inadequate. Also the documentation that would help me get it done, lacking. I'm gonna see if there's a shot that the NES/Famicom ROM dumper, CAH4E3 http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/(check out the Fami Dumping Project hosted there especially), would be able to maybe walk me through it. He's already willing to dump it if I end up sending one of the two repro carts I own of the game.

I use this:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=36

I successfully dumped the 8-bit Music Power and Kira-Kira Star Famicom games by Columbus Circle using this device, neither of which will dump properly on a Kazzo. Due to dodgy PCB, they seem to work on clones but real hardware (except AV Famicom with Rev H CPU/PPU) is a crap shoot. Funny both carts work on my AV Famicom, 8-bit Music Power works on AVS but not NES side loader, and Kira Kira Star ironically works on NES side loader (with adapter) but not AVS. CopyNES contains plugins for most commercial licensed and unlicensed mappers, and the CopyNES Blue v5.01 contains fixes allowing the software to operate properly on 64-bit windows PC.

Also you can peek and poke by making writes to the cart bus in order to trigger the bankswitch hardware, then download individual banks from a ROM in the event the mapper is undocumented. The banks can then be assembled into an NES ROM in a hex editor. NES-Dev have documents on the RetroUSB and Memblers flash mappers which may come in handy if attempting to back up homebrews, strictly for personal use of course... :ahoy:

What seems to really have bugged the two of you and which I'm still puzzled over, is my mention of how I'd love to see some work done with the remastering for the SuperNes as well. I'm not sure what was so awful with mentioning that this is neat and impressive that he was able to implement some of the enhancements from Super Mario All-Stars to the originals, but that in a somewhat similar vein, I would also love to see a talented homebrew programmer like this author tackle the remake as well. Especially since at least for myself, I was never completely satisfied with job that was done with Super Mario Bros. and the Japanese exclusive sequel in it.

Taking away most of the individual character for instance from the 'Lost Levels', by just borrowing the graphics from Super Mario Bros. which isn't how the Famicom original handled it at all and which just seems lazy now that we're more familiar with the source material than we were back in 1993. Or how suddenly the blocks are grass covered ground in the first two games, where as SMB2 & 3 stayed more faithful to the source material while still enhancing the graphics. Or implementing the e-Reader levels from the GBA port of the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3 with a new World 9 composed of that material.

There's an awful lot of potential there for a talented programmer to take this one further, as well.

Yeah I agree with you about SMB2j. It was said that they didn't release it in the U.S., as they felt it was too difficult for American gamers. Like a Billy Mitchell or a Steve Wiebe, and many others holding world records for those games a gen before the NES?! Now those games were truly barbaric in difficulty.

Anyways, Japan got the "more difficult" sequel. Which was a game equivalent in innovation as an average one of thousands of SMB ROM hacks out there. It took a step forward, but not the major leap that SMB 2u took. We got the better sequel. The game was radically as different as Mario Bros. was to Donkey Kong, as Super Mario Bros. was to Mario Bros.. It may have started out as Doki Doki Panic!, but Shigeru Miyamoto saw that it certainly would work perfectly as a proper Super Mario Bros. sequel. It's definitely one of my favorites in the whole Mario saga.

Yeah I agree with you about SMB2j. It was said that they didn't release it in the U.S., as they felt it was too difficult for American gamers. Like a Billy Mitchell or a Steve Wiebe, and many others holding world records for those games a gen before the NES?! Now those games were truly barbaric in difficulty.

I wouldn't call them "Barbaric." Clearing the first loop of Donkey Kong counts as clearing the game in many circles, especially if you play with the Japanese stage order. In fact many arcade games it is possible for even novice players to eventually get good enough to clear the first loop with practice. Ditto with many arcade games that feature a single stage or group of stages that repeat ad infinitum with increasing difficulty. You've played all four stages in Donkey Kong and seen all the cutscenes? Guess what, you've experienced the entire game. Now all that's left is to improve your top score. In Tetris, experiencing the game would involve clearing a few rounds and scoring a few quad lines before you game over.

You don't have to be Billy Mitchel or Thor or some world class speed runner type and reach the kill screen to experience an arcade game. Games like super Mario Bros which have a clear beginning and ending were designed to challenge the player, but the end goal becomes beating the actual game, ie defeat final boss and rescue the princess. The goal with NES era and later games is pre-defined. Completing the game becomes more important than improving your score or enduring an infinite onslaught with only three lives or simply improving your top score.

Sadly many games during the 8-bit and 16-bit era were punishingly difficult. NES is still my favorite platform but I know that some games are too frustrating to be worth the effort of playing, including legendary series such as Megaman. My friend and I worked our asses off to beat Megaman 2, and even using Game Genie codes for infinite health / lives / weapons did not prevent "instant death" spike traps featured in later Wiley stages. With the cheats, it was still one of the toughest experiences we faced. And some gamers consider it easy compared to the likes of Ninja Gaiden or Battletoads.

No wonder modern developers "dumb it down" persay. Many classic games were frustrating as heck! That's not that I believe modern games should play like "interactive novels / movies" but I think a balance should be struck somewhere. Many retro games as well as indie titles start off easy and can be quite enjoyable for a few stages even if I never get good enough reach the final boss mush less beat it.

including legendary series such as Megaman. My friend and I worked our asses off to beat Megaman 2, and even using Game Genie codes for infinite health / lives / weapons did not prevent "instant death" spike traps featured in later Wiley stages. With the cheats, it was still one of the toughest experiences we faced. And some gamers consider it easy compared to the likes of Ninja Gaiden or Battletoads.

What...??? You and your friend must have been seriously lacking in game skills. I beat MM2 the day I got it, and I wasn't a power gamer at the time. I was disappointed that it was soo easy. It wasn't "easy compared to".. it just was easy. Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads are in the brutal range, but still beatable.. but MM2??? How old were you in during this time? 7?

Edited by malducci

I meant the Action 52 ROM is partially playable despite being too large.

I use this:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=36

I successfully dumped the 8-bit Music Power and Kira-Kira Star Famicom games by Columbus Circle using this device, neither of which will dump properly on a Kazzo. Due to dodgy PCB, they seem to work on clones but real hardware (except AV Famicom with Rev H CPU/PPU) is a crap shoot. Funny both carts work on my AV Famicom, 8-bit Music Power works on AVS but not NES side loader, and Kira Kira Star ironically works on NES side loader (with adapter) but not AVS. CopyNES contains plugins for most commercial licensed and unlicensed mappers, and the CopyNES Blue v5.01 contains fixes allowing the software to operate properly on 64-bit windows PC.

Also you can peek and poke by making writes to the cart bus in order to trigger the bankswitch hardware, then download individual banks from a ROM in the event the mapper is undocumented. The banks can then be assembled into an NES ROM in a hex editor. NES-Dev have documents on the RetroUSB and Memblers flash mappers which may come in handy if attempting to back up homebrews, strictly for personal use of course... :ahoy:

Nice. Gonna have to pick one of those up. The Kazzo is seemingly messy, and not user friendly. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to dump the cart. The dev stated that there's no copy protection in the cart, and it can be dumped pretty easily. Well not if it depends on me and the Kazzo.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The last update (from about a year ago)

Super Mario All-Stars NES (SMB3 Mod_infidelity) [v10-23-2017]

Description

Here is a hack which combines:

°Mario Bros.,

°Super Mario Bros.,

°Super Mario Bros. 2 JPN (The Lost Levels),

°Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, and

°Super Mario Bros. 3.

+Also added into this hack is the ability to use SRAM to save your games and to save your top score in Mario Bros.

This game is using Mapper 005 (MMC5) and it uses 1MB/1024kb’s of PRG-ROM, & 1MB/1024kb’s of CHR-ROM. Except for Super Mario Bros, all the other Mario games are converted to MMC5 as well.

*Note: An MMC5-capable emulator is required, otherwise the graphics will be a garbled mess.

*To access Mario Bros, on the game select screen, hold A and press Up on Super Mario Bros.

*Updated to v10-15-17. Minor update to my mock FDS bios introduction screen.

+Includes

°Patched ROMs ("CRT" Version for MMC5 Capable Carts & "EMU" Version for Emulators)

°Original Proper Checksum Base ROM

°IPS Patch + Notes

https://www.mediafire.com/download/4629by5l07d1442
da688145557bb82a51e0979c2b782464.jpg

The last update (from about a year ago)

Super Mario All-Stars NES (SMB3 Mod_infidelity) [v10-23-2017]

Description

Here is a hack which combines:

°Mario Bros.,

°Super Mario Bros.,

°Super Mario Bros. 2 JPN (The Lost Levels),

°Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, and

°Super Mario Bros. 3.

+Also added into this hack is the ability to use SRAM to save your games and to save your top score in Mario Bros.

This game is using Mapper 005 (MMC5) and it uses 1MB/1024kb’s of PRG-ROM, & 1MB/1024kb’s of CHR-ROM. Except for Super Mario Bros, all the other Mario games are converted to MMC5 as well.

*Note: An MMC5-capable emulator is required, otherwise the graphics will be a garbled mess.

*To access Mario Bros, on the game select screen, hold A and press Up on Super Mario Bros.

*Updated to v10-15-17. Minor update to my mock FDS bios introduction screen.

+Includes

°Patched ROMs ("CRT" Version for MMC5 Capable Carts & "EMU" Version for Emulators)

°Original Proper Checksum Base ROM

°IPS Patch + Notes

https://www.mediafire.com/download/4629by5l07d1442
da688145557bb82a51e0979c2b782464.jpg

Too bad neither the PowerPak nor the Everdrive support this. It seems both RetroUSB and Krikzz have taken the path of least resistance and considered the mmc5 mapper a done deal once they got Castlevania III running flawlessly on it. I needs to play this on real hardware... :sad:

Too bad neither the PowerPak nor the Everdrive support this. It seems both RetroUSB and Krikzz have taken the path of least resistance and considered the mmc5 mapper a done deal once they got Castlevania III running flawlessly on it. I needs to play this on real hardware... :sad:

Yeah I hear ya. I have an NES and an Everdrive. It would be nice. But hey, at least they're freely distributed for emulation use. Sadly way too many devs/pubs of homebrews/hacks won't freely distribute their ROMs, despite their cart runs selling out.

Anywho, speaking of RetroUSB, they don't like to restock often, huh? I'm really wanting a CopyNES. I have a cart I've been wanting dumped for years. This Kazzo I bought is about as helpful to me as trying to dump the cart with my Keurig.

Anywho, speaking of RetroUSB, they don't like to restock often, huh? I'm really wanting a CopyNES. I have a cart I've been wanting dumped for years. This Kazzo I bought is about as helpful to me as trying to dump the cart with my Keurig.

What game is it? I have a CopyNES and might be able to dump the rom for you. We can continue in PM if you want.

This Kazzo I bought is about as helpful to me as trying to dump the cart with my Keurig.

What's worse is the Kazzo is considerably more user-friendly and properly documented than their replacement, the inlretro dumper.

At least somebody made a gui for the kazzo, though I'd imagine drivers are an equal problem on both.

I bought mine specifically for use with NESMaker, and it's pretty much soured me on that whole product.

Edited by Reaperman

What's worse is the Kazzo is considerably more user-friendly and properly documented than their replacement, the inlretro dumper.

At least somebody made a gui for the kazzo, though I'd imagine drivers are an equal problem on both.

I bought mine specifically for use with NESMaker, and it's pretty much soured me on that whole product.

Yeah it's ridiculous. I don't see why the process of dumping a cart has to be much more difficult than ripping an ISO.

Yeah it's ridiculous. I don't see why the process of dumping a cart has to be much more difficult than ripping an ISO.

Mappers can be a nightmare, especially if undocumented. I can't dump undocumented mappers with copynes but if the mapper is documented on nesdev, I can use peek/poke in copynes to change the banks and dump them individually, then reassemble in a hex editor. I still need to finish dumping that "adult" AV Pachinko Famicom cart I own, as previous attempts got a corrupted chr.

Mappers can be a nightmare, especially if undocumented. I can't dump undocumented mappers with copynes but if the mapper is documented on nesdev, I can use peek/poke in copynes to change the banks and dump them individually, then reassemble in a hex editor. I still need to finish dumping that "adult" AV Pachinko Famicom cart I own, as previous attempts got a corrupted chr.

Yeah the most experience I have with that sort of stuff would probably be taking a 2xSided 2xGames 1xFDS ROM, and splitting it into 2 individual bootable ROMs. So no virtual disk flipping between sides A and B. I'm still sorta surprised I managed to get it done without too much trouble. It was just one of those projects where things seemed to fall into place.

Hey I went to send you a PM, but your profile oddly reads "banned" and there's no button to message you.

Hey I went to send you a PM, but your profile oddly reads "banned" and there's no button to message you.

I can assure you I am not "banned" lol. :lol:

Or perhaps I really am "banned" and the mods are remote controlling my account to toy with you. :ponder:

Either way, you have a pm incoming... ;-)

• Like 1

I can assure you I am not "banned" lol. [emoji38]

Or perhaps I really am "banned" and the mods are remote controlling my account to toy with you. :ponder:

Either way, you have a pm incoming... ;-)

Yeah I knew you weren't banned as you were still posting lol. I kid you not on it though. I should've taken a screenshot! I got your PM btw.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Shame we can't edit posts after enough time has passed. Anyways, here's an update. For one thing, there's now a flash cart that can support this MMC5 mapper mod, the N8 Pro Everdrive.

Super Mario All-Stars NES (v2-22-20)
Emulator & NES/Famicom Release

The rom you need to apply whichever patch to is...
Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) [!]

NOTE ON REQUIRED SIZES FOR MMC5 CARTRIDGE CONSTRUCTION

1024kb/1mb PRG-ROM
1024kb/1mb CHR-ROM
32kb SRAM

NOTE ON FLASH CARTRIDGES

UPDATE 2-17-2020. The N8 Pro Everdrive can now run my MMC5 titles. It is the only flashcart to date that can do so.
https://krikzz.com/store/home/57-n8-pro.html

The N8 Everdrive uses 512kb SRAM chips for it's PRG & CHR ROM's. My game will not work on this device. The PowerPak is in the same boat as the N8 Everdrive. My game will not work on that device either. Unless Krikzz, the creator of the Everdrive devices, releases a new version of the N8 with larger chip support, then this game will only be playable on real hardware via an official MMC5 cartridge.

NOTE ON EMULATORS VIA PC

Super Mario All-Stars NES has been confirmed to work properly, on the following PC emulators latest builds. "FCEUX" "Nestopia" & "Nintendulator" For the correct/best results via PC, I strongly suggest using any of the 3 emulators I've mentioned.

NOTE ON EMULATORS VIA GAMING CONSOLES

The MMC5 "Mapper 005" is a sophisticated/complicated mapper, and alot of NES emulator ports for gaming consoles do not emulate that mapper correctly/or at all. However, the most consistent emulator port to demonstrate the correct results for emulating the MMC5, are ports of the emulator "Nestopia." I recommend using the launcher known as "RetroArch" for whatever gaming console you are using, and use the "Nestopia" core that goes with "RetroArch" to play Super Mario All-Stars NES. You will get undesired results trying to play this game on ports of "FCEUX" or other NES emulator ports for gaming consoles. I'm making note of this to stop users from saying the game is corrupted or broken, the game is not corrupted or broken, it is the lack of MMC5 "Mapper 005" support for whichever NES port the user is using.

Mario Bros. Classic
This game is the PAL European Nintendo version, which I have converted to NTSC. To access this game, hold A and press Up while the pointer is on Super Mario Bros. For more in-depth details regarding this title, scroll past all the game descriptions for further info.

The following functions are saved and restored...
1. Top Score
Super Mario Bros.
When you start this game with a saved 2 player mode, and you last saved as Luigi, you will start as Luigi. But, during the title screen you will see Mario standing there. Once you press start, Luigi will be properly restored.

The Demo Mode has been disabled, once you reload a save game, just like the original SNES All-Stars does. Also vram writes to the number of players, and the removal of the Select button for the title screen, are other features when you reload a saved game.

1. Restart as either 1st or 2nd player, from when game was saved

2. Power-Up state (small, big, fire)

3. # of lives

4. Current world & sub-level, (you save at 1-2, you start at 1-2, this also retains the individual world & sub-level for Luigi. Whoever is the furthest in the game, that world & sub-level # will be shown on the main menu, where you select one of 4 files)

5. Whether 1 or 2 player mode is active

6. Current high score

7. Mario's & Luigi's current scores

8. Mario's & Luigi's coins

9. Whether game has been defeated

10. Halfway point (within allowed worlds)

The following enhancements & modifications are....

1. On 2 player mode, players now switch off after clearing a flagpole. No more waiting for the other player to die, or defeat the game in order to play your turn.

2. Implemented the skidding sfx from Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan.

3. Implemented a new feature, where when a player dies during 2 player mode, he/she starts at the beginning of the current world they died in, and not being forced to not play the game anymore. Your lives are restored back to 3, and your score and coins are restored back to 00's.

4. Implemented Unused Lakitu Spiny Egg Toss
Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan
The "L" in the example stands for (Luigi Game)
This game was originally an .fds to .nes conversion I found online. It lacked the proper title screen construction, and various other functions. I've studied the .fds version thoroughly, to get my version running identical to the .fds version. The flashing stars on the SMB2 logo are there & save. World 9 is here as well, AND, I've made it so you can save on World 9-1 through 9-4, and when you reload, you WILL start where you left off. Luigi's skidding physics have been restored, (thanks to ShaneM for informing me) and the red piranha plants & green spring boards have been restored, (again, thanks to ShaneM for informing me)

1. Power-Up state (small, big, fire)

2. Lives

3. World & Sub-level

4. Coins

5. High score

6. Current score

7. How many #-4 castles have been cleared

8. Whether you have access to worlds A-D

9. How many times you have beaten the game

10. Halfway point (within allowed worlds)

1. Implemented Unused Lakitu Spiny Egg Toss
Super Mario Bros. 2 USA

1. Number of bars in life meter

2. World & Sub-Level

3. # of lives

4. If first & second mushrooms have been pulled in saved level

5. If 1-up has been pulled in saved level

6. # of continues

7. Number of cherries obtained in saved level

8. Number of coins obtained in saved level

9. Number of big vegetables pulled in saved level

10. Number of levels finished as Mario, Luigi, Toad, Princess Toadstool

1. Implemented SpiderDave's fix for missing 8th animation

2. Implemented SpiderDave's fix for missing sfx when player dies
Super Mario Bros. 3
The "M" in the example stands for (Mario), it also means he is the player that will start first when you load the file.
When you goto save, you can only save within an active stage, not during a 2p battle, not in a toad house, not during a mini-game.

The following functions are saved and restored... These apply to both Mario & Luigi...

1. Power-Up state (small, big, fire, raccoon, frog, tanooki, hammer)

2. Current score

3. Whether you saved last as Mario or Luigi

4. Current world

5. 1 or 2 player mode

6. # of lives

7. Power-Up form when on world map

8. N-Card 3 byte next score registers

9. Whether you have unveiled the penny ship, white mushroom house, etc

10. Map positions, as well as previous map positions (like when you die, and you get skidded back to your previous last spot)

11. Level complete flags

12. Inventory

13. Stage cleared cards

14. Coins

15. All sprite map objects

16. All sprite x/y map object locations

17. All sprite map id's

18. World map locations (example, world 2. If you saved at the castle in world 2, the game will load up that part of the world map, not the very beginning of the world where it says START. This goes for both Mario & Luigi!)

Deletion Of Saved Files
To erase a saved file, press the SELECT button over the desired file. An "ERASE?" prompt will appear at the top of the screen. Make your selection via the D-PAD and press the START button over your selection.

Deletion Of Mario Bros. Classic Top Score

To erase the top score, press the SELECT button. The text "ERASE TOP SCORE?" will appear above the logo. Make your selection via the D-PAD and press the START button over your selection.

Technical Information On My Mario Bros. Classic Conversion

PAL Nintendo games run much faster on an NTSC system. This goes for both gameplay & sound. I was convinced by fellow Acmlm member Da_GPer, to take a look at Mario Bros. Classic to see if I could use that version, instead of the version known as Mario Bros., because the PAL version is the closest to the original arcade version, than the NTSC version I incorporated into Super Mario All-Stars NES.

I came up with an idea to slow down the game, since it was designed to run at 50hz. I created a frame counter register, within the beginning of the games NMI routine. (after A,X,Y have been pushed to the stack) I then perform an LDA of that register, AND it for #$07, if this does not match, I then perform a JMP to the very end of the NMI rountine, where the pulling of Y,X,A from the stack occurs. What this does/what I am doing, is forcing the game to bypass everything, and have it return to it's reset vector loop until the NMI is fired up again. So what this does, is force the game to basically wait. If the AND #$07 does match, then I perform a JMP to the start of the games NMI after the pushing to the stack, resuming everything within the game.

In doing that, the game & music slowed down to NTSC speeds. The next step was to try to adjust the pitch to the games sound engine. I tried applying my AND method to all the sound registers before they were written to. It almost worked, but it didn't perform the proper results for all notes. I was shown some incredible 2 byte pitch tables, for converting PAL pitch to NTSC pitch. So I had to manually edit every 2 byte pitch that there was within the game. Once I had done that, I would play the original PAL version, along with my NTSC conversion, to see if the notes matched, and they do.

And on top of all that, I decided to incorporate the ability for the game to retain it's top score. It is consistently stored to SRAM, everytime that it is updated.

ENJOY! :-D
-infidelity[/quote]

Super Mario All-Stars NES (v2-22-20) [CRT & Emu Patches].zip

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this for only one good reason.  I did a trade over on another site and part of it was this mysterious Super Mario All-Stars Famicom multicart neither of us had heard of before.  Strange I google, and this is the premiere thread for it.  The cart boots saying Infidelity 2017, so I'm pretty sure that's the release here and not whatever minor emu+crt based tweaks were needed in the 2020 refresh.

I took pics of the board front and back, had a nice coin cell easy swap slot in the rear for the CR2032 it uses.

I figured for documentation fun of this hacky piratey fun here I'd share the guts of this thing if anyone had any curiosities about it.  At first I was thinking earlier release, but thank to those nice notes up there, Mario Bros(love this version from PAL land!) exists on there so that's great.  It's not saving, not sure how it is supposed to, so I'm going to assume dead battery.   I don't think I have a clean one lying about, but i could pop the tabs off one in my 2032 stash.

SMAS-FC-Infidelity2017a.jpg

SMAS-FC-Infidelity2017b.jpg

• Like 1