IGNORED

Atari 7800 Only Speed BIOS

CPUWIZ

Hello,

I am working on a speed-BIOS, because I am tired of looking at the rainbow logo over and over, during development. This only works with 7800 games, so be warned. It is basically an insta-on BIOS, you push the power button and the title of the game comes up instantly. May work in emulators, not tested.

Cheers,

-R

Here is the first version...

speed_bios.bin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for testing the emulator, guys. :thumbsup: I'd be interested to know if Fight Night works, I know from a comment in some of Eckhard's code (no, you don't have that code), that Fight Night is a bit of a problem child.

This version still has some issues with the WIP version of my MCP BIOS, which will utilize the cart interrupt for debugging, but I'll figure that out eventually.

This will come in real handy when testing manyt carts or different versions of code over and over.

Yeah, that's why I did it, I am working on the devcart and staring at the rainbow logo wastes too many minutes of my life. LOL

Yeah, that's why I did it, I am working on the devcart and staring at the rainbow logo wastes too many minutes of my life. LOL

Yep I can't tell you how many times I've thought in my head (and some times aloud..lol..) "come on and hurry the fuck up" watching that bios crawl by cause the more you want it gone the longer it seems to take. :roll:

It was also convenient for me, because I run 4 BIOS versions on the same board and I had one slot left. :D

1.) Stock

2.) MCP cart flasher

3.) DevOs V0.2

4.) Speed BIOS

I doubt this will be much use to most people, but I figured that even if one person can use it, have it.

• Like 1

Don't third party games by-pass the opening rainbow? Like Double Dragon & Rampage?

Sorry, missed this earlier, I believe you must be thinking of 5200 titles. I know how to boot into code on that platform, without displaying the splash screen, but this is not possible on the 7800.

I'll have to find my Rampage and give it a try...F-18 Hornet somewhere too...if I find it...

Tried them - Both start with the BIOS-Atari rainbow. Tried Double Dragon, Kung-Fu Master, and Super Skateboardin' too; again, same results.

If you happen to own an NTSC system from BEST Electronics with the BIOS swapped for a PAL one with Asteroids (CX7800-RECVOS), or a DIY, then you would not see the start up Atari BIOS screen.

Hi CPUWIZ

so an adapter with 4 different Bios is possible?

greetings Walter

You could have 16, with the 28pin footprint and many more, if you want to really make an adapter. But yeah, in many of my pics and videos, you'll see a funky Radio Shack perfboard, with a little red dipswitch on it. I only set it up for 4 on mine, was more than enough.

C'mon, the Atari logo is cool at startup. It just needs the "Have You Played Atari Today?" theme playing like the Jaguar does.

Wait, with standard TIA audio, that might not be so good. I'd laugh if the XM plays that theme at startup either using the POKEY or the YM. Then again, the Atari Games Gauntlet "bong" - which was used in later Atari Games titles - would also be cool.

C'mon, the Atari logo is cool at startup. It just needs the "Have You Played Atari Today?" theme playing like the Jaguar does.

Wait, with standard TIA audio, that might not be so good. I'd laugh if the XM plays that theme at startup either using the POKEY or the YM. Then again, the Atari Games Gauntlet "bong" - which was used in later Atari Games titles - would also be cool.

TIA can do pretty damn good human voice samples you don't need POKEY or YM at all.

• Like 2