IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Hi guys,

Fellow Atatiage member,NeoTurboManic did a great 1 credit run on Splatterhouse and hard mode for the TG-16. Hope you all enjoy this upload. If you all have a moment of your time, take a look at Neo's channel and benefit from the superb work he does for the community! :)

From the description,

"Here is a one credit playthrough of Splatterhouse for the TurboGrafx-16 on hard difficulty. It was not an easy task to get through this on one credit, but I managed to pull it off."

"Here is a link to the review I did of this game Enjoy!"

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hey guys-

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a RGB modded Dou RX from doujindance on Ebay.

He states:

I always use composite video signal as RGB sync signal. If your monitor is BNC or DB15, you need to separate to H-sync and V- sync using IC LM1881N. In the world, there are some monitors that isn't accepting composite sync signal(C-sync) as RGB sync signal though it's extremely rare. In this case, need to input only a H-sync signal to 20th pin of Scart plug(not use V-sync).

I am trying to figure out which of the following connectors do I need to use to connect to BNC on my Sony PVM-1354Q?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

Or
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/female-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-for-sony-pvm-monitors

Can anyone assist? I plan to purchase gscartsw in the future when they become available again.

Thanks all-

Crazed

NEC promo video from 1989 VHS - Turbografx 16: The Higher Energy Video Game System

TurboGrafx-16 games and then new & upcoming PC-Engine titles.

Note, this is not the later TTI Turbo Duo promo from 1992 that probably more people are familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfQk2HZxYE

I remember watching this video played, looping, in Toys 'R Us inside the shelves where all the consoles were displayed behind glass.late, 1989. There was a similar one for Genesis at the beginning of 1990.

Also, The Legendary Axe TV commercial

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you fellows have a schematic for wiring up a PC Engine or TG 16 arcade stick?

I just got started on this kind of thing, not even sure I can handle it if it's complex, but would like to try.

You'll need a 74157 and eight 10k pullups. The turbo version uses a 4-bit counter (74163) with Low and high speed toggle on the 2nd and 3rd output pins.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:pc_engine_controller

tg16_pce_controller_adapter_schematic.pn

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:pc_engine_controller

All PC Engine, Duo, and TG-16 uses the same common chip to encode buttons over wires. You can get 74*157 series chip anywhere easily, don't need to sacrifice a good controller for the chip. Just wire it up as shown in the schematic, 4 directions and 4 buttons to the input pins, 4 output, enable, and latch to the controller port along with 5v and ground. So easy you could build an adapter that takes regular 2600 controller or SMS controller to work on TG-16. I had considered doing the same for Neo Geo controller but it's expensive controller and the cheaper one aren't comfortable for me to use.

• Like 2

Yeah if I can do it without sacrificing a controller, I'd like to--I'm just getting started soldering so I don't mind learning the from-scratch way, it's part of the fun. But maybe I could find a cracked PC-E controller cheap or something to sacrifice, I wouldn't mind that.

I have a "City Boy" multi joystick, which has SNES, PC-E, and Sega plugs. The parts are arcade-ish, but not really that good. I could replace the parts in it. But even that I kind of want to leave stock.

Hey guys, here's some stuff on the Japan-only NEC SuperGrafx, the graphically beefed-up version of the PC-Engine / TG-16.

It was the PS4 Pro of its time, but bombed very badly in Japan. Only 50,000 SuperGrafx consoles were manufactured.

6xMCrwY.jpg

Um...what is that amazing looking controller on the bottom right? Never seen that.

That huge controller for the SuperGrafx was never released. It was called the Power Console, and it was intended for flight sim style games like Battle Ace.

At least one prototype was discovered. Here are various pics from Japanese magazines and a prototype that probably never worked.

1bK6PBe.jpg

oqqSUw7.jpg

5Dep37e.jpg

E5bVOgw.jpg

While Electronic Gaming Monthly never properly covered the Power Console controller, they did allude to it, just twice.

I've highlighted the first time EGM hinted at the controller which was in the first article I posted, and also posting the article with the second mention, which was also pretty much the last time EGM covered the SuperGrafx.

LuSsnXH.jpg

KeOlGsG.jpg

And no, the Strider SuperGrafx port never came out, the version of Strider that did get released was a totally reworked version for PCE CD-ROM Arcade Card.

• Like 4

Just saw this... thoughts? It's all speculation, but it could be interesting. I can see something similar to the NES mini, but not reusing the name on a new current gen competitive console.

http://www.heypoorplayer.com/2016/12/06/konami-to-launch-new-turbografx-console/

Like you say, that's all speculation. I think that site is jumping to conclusions, and it's irresponsible to say "Konami is launching a new TurboGrafx console" when all they've done is renew the trademark.

This could be for any number of reasons. Maybe they're doing another emulator, maybe they're just asserting their rights to the IP so no one else can claim they have been abandoned. Maybe they're setting themselves up to be acquired or otherwise leveraged, like "Coleco" does.

Here's a better quote from the USPTO, that doesn't speculate about TV consoles based on scant information.

Word Mark TURBOGRAFX

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Video game software; video game programs; computer game programs; computer game software; electronic game programs; Game controllers for consumer video game consoles for use with an external display screen or monitor. FIRST USE: 19890800. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19890800

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Video game consoles; video game consoles for use with an external display screen or monitor

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games accessible via video game consoles, handheld game consoles, wireless devices, mobile phones and computers; providing online computer games via network between communications networks; providing information in the field of games; arranging, organizing and conducting computer game tournaments

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 87253583

Filing Date December 1, 2016

Current Basis 1A;1B

Original Filing Basis 1A;1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN 9-7-2, Akasaka, Minato-ku Tokyo JAPAN

Attorney of Record Bassam N. Ibrahim

Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

They might register some Turbo-related internet domains, too. That kind of low-risk, low-effort staking out of brand space shouldn't be over-interpreted without more information.

Though I guess it would be nice to see them get back into the business of

Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games accessible via video game consoles, handheld game consoles, wireless devices, mobile phones and computers; providing online computer games via network between communications networks; providing information in the field of games; arranging, organizing and conducting computer game tournaments

And no, the Strider SuperGrafx port never came out, the version of Strider that did get released was a totally reworked version for PCE CD-ROM Arcade Card.

From what I've seen stepping through the code of the game, and looking at data assets in the DATA track (I.e. stuff left on the harddrive that got transferred into the data track - very common thing for PCE CD games), it was an original CD 2.0 game that was repurposed for ACD. And the only thing ACD about it (the game, I have no idea about the cinemas) - is instead of loading from the CD in the middle of the stages, as if it were a CD 2.0 game - it loads directly from ACD memory (emulating a fast CD load routine). Minimal effort - lol.