IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

New UperGrafx FW is out!

It now resets to the game list instead of the System Card when you do an in-game reset (IGR; Run+Select), which means no more power-cycling when you want to change games.

A couple IREM CD titles have issues with the IGR so they added per-game settings which let you disable it for those two titles (Image Fight II and R-Type Complete, IIRC) or any others that might pop up with further testing. This is also pretty useful for games which glitch or go out of sync when the disc reads too fast. You previously had to change a global speed setting when you wanted to play one of those games properly but now you can use the per-game setting to override the global one.

David Shadoff has been helping with the simulated disc access speeds and he tells me that the the “Normal” setting is pretty much perfect now. That’s why this it can now play some games even SSDS3 has issues with, like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Vol 2. With per-game settings you can set a problematic game like this to “normal” speed and leave the system-wide setting to “Fast” for everything else.

You can now force disc images to load as CD-audio by pressing Select to change the disc icon to a disc with a musical note. Interestingly, you can set multiple different disc icons with the PC software and the options seem to indicate what system card each title uses. Perhaps we’re moving toward a setup where the correct virtual system card is selected automatically when you pick a game (as specified by the icon). It’s pretty easy the way it is already but any extra polish is welcome. Som weirdo who frequently switches between Super System Card and Games Express CD Card games might appreciate it. atariage_icon_wink.gif

If I understand correctly, it looks like UGX-01 users get optical drive emulation and some flash cart support (doesn’t load larger HuCard titles or a virtual Super System Cards like UGX-02). I think Bob had one of these when he first looked at UGX-02, so it seems to have been working since last year. UGX-01 is the version from 2016 that was once sold as just a digital video adapter. Perhaps this is only the “refurbished” UGX-01 where you sent it in to have extra RAM installed but I had the impression that the service converts it to a full UGX-02.

You still need PC software to write anything at all to the SD card, unfortunately. That means you have to set your per-game settings and pick your icons there and it still doesn’t have per-game save slots (saves to a selectable FRAM bank which you can backup/restore thru PC). I think supporting a file system with user R/W is a bit out of the creator’s comfort zone for now. Of course, this means there is new software for the PC side.

I was in the middle of loading a set of over 532 disc images with the old software when they tweeted out the update. My transfer was about halfway done so my first question was “does this mean I’ll have to start this all over?” Answer: No. According to the site all you have to do is rename, move, delete, or add a game using the new software and the list will automatically get reinitialized with the new settings. Unfortunately it didn’t go so easily for me because the new software just doesn’t want to work on the computer I was using. The old software still works fine but the new version would crash with a vague error message the moment I start any SD writing operation. I ended up wiping my SD card as part of troubleshooting before I found that it inexplicably works from another Windows 10 system. Weird.

It is good to have options. Since the revision B board if the SSD3 fixed most of the bad issues, I'm relatively happy with it. From what I read on their forums, I guess some fixes are coming for disc access speed in the next firmware update.

That said, I really would like to have a functional return to game menu option that it looks like the UGX-02 has.

Full game line up of the TurboGrafx Mini announced...  Looks like both versions will have the same games?  24 TurboGrafx games and 26* PC Engine games.

So on the good side, we'll be getting Castlevania X Rondo of Blood, and some other excellent PC Engine games...  But... it seems like a waste that Neutopia 1 and 2 and Y's Book I and II are in both Turbo form and PCE form.  Why?  The language will be different, but 99% of NA customers won't be playing the Japanese language version.  Definitely some games in there where the language doesn't matter, though, and that's awesome.  I just feel that they should have done it a little differently... yes, definitely include some of the great PCE games we didn't get over here, but maybe translate them and not double up on them.  I guess it's cheaper this way?

Also, lack of popular titles like Gate of Thunder and Splatterhouse mean this will definitely be hacked soon.  I mean, people would have done it anyway, but...

Despite some flaws... I still want it.

TurboGrafx:

• Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninjaspirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC-Engine:

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

• Like 1

Ugh, the doubling up of games between regions is such an odd choice (maddening really), but am happy to see Castlevania and and especially Ghouls and Ghosts make it to the Mini's.

And some glaring omissions of course, but we know the things are going to be hacked anyway. ;)

Oh, almost forgot... no Keith Courage! lol   Can tell Konami cares enough to be righting some wrongs after all these years.   :lol:

• Like 1

I got to hand it to them, although these things will never have everything we want (ie, all the games) its still reasonably impressive. From the disappointing PS1 mini this one actually has some promise, yes its probably more niche, at least here in Europe but its genuinely the first one I'm tempted to buy [brand new].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eltigro said:

lol... I forgot about Keith!

But also...  Aldynes and Daimakaimura... I believe those were SuperGrafx only games, weren't they?  That'd be cool to play those...

Right, Supergrafx only - which is why I was surprised to see them appear here and goes with what I was saying that Konami is righting some "wrongs". Am certain G&G's, along with Castlevania, will help sell their mini systems here in the States. 

Kudos to Konami for including these very important games to the lineup!   

• Like 1

Nice, I think the lineup is great. I’ll definitely snag one, or two.  :)

I agree that Gate if Thunder is missed,  but not really about Splatterhouse. TG16 Splatterhouse was disappointing even when I bought it in the 80s.  The gameplay of the arcade was there, but it missed all the gore and atmosphere which let’s be honest,  the game is all about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NE146 said:

Nice, I think the lineup is great. I’ll definitely snag one, or two.  :)

I agree that Gate if Thunder is missed,  but not really about Splatterhouse. TG16 Splatterhouse was disappointing even when I bought it in the 80s.  The gameplay of the arcade was there, but it missed  all the gore and atmosphere which,  let’s be honest,  The game is all about.

Ha!  I remember renting Splatterhouse back in the day and didn't think that much of it.  Never played the arcade, but always felt it was a bit overrated.  But it is popular and would have definitely helped sell units.  Wonder why it wasn't included... issues with Namco?

• Like 1

World Class Baseball is one I don't think has been mentioned yet and wish it was a part of the official lineup. Used to play that all the time BITD, and fire it up once in a while to this day. 

And yeah, Legendary Axe!!  And Galaga '88... talk about a glaring omissions.   :(

Expecting Splatterhouse is like expecting N.A.R.C. for the NES Classic Edition. Nothing with dismembered bodies is going to end up on a collection with kids titles.

Anyway, the North American site seems to show the PCE-style spare controller and USB hub. I was hoping they'd sell replica TurboPads that might fit the original boards inside but perhaps they don't want to risk making too many of any one particular style. Here's hoping they just didn't have the right images up yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fine I'll be the jerk, the lineup at least for the US one is mostly just a disgrace.  I get why they wanted to diverge the game list so much, but it's just questionably bad considering some obvious titles that would have no contractual lock boxing going on to hold off the TG16 model.  The PCE line-up though is quite admirable, and I get they had to collate what was there given that system had like 3.5x more HuCards released (and dramatically more optical too) than the pitiful US handling.

I'm in agreement it'll get hacked, and I think it would be the best boon of any hacked system, even over the Nintendo duo of excellence that started this whole trend of doing it that way by the old guard using HDMI but old style display appearances inside and out.  If I had to own one out of the box I'd be happy with the PCE device (to go with my real one I have), but I'd really only want to own it, once it was hacked.  I've already got a CG2 and an Everdrive, but that thing doesn't do optical, yet that system displays so cleanly I don't care it's not HDMI.  But if I could throw the old CDs I used to love from both regions, I'd be lost in that thing for days, weeks, months to come.  I wouldn't go overkill or nothing would get done, but to just have the CDs I used to own from both regions would be an instant buy for me.

• Like 1

Fine I'll be the jerk, the lineup at least for the US one is mostly just a disgrace.  I get why they wanted to diverge the game list so much, but it's just questionably bad considering some obvious titles that would have no contractual lock boxing going on to hold off the TG16 model.  The PCE line-up though is quite admirable, and I get they had to collate what was there given that system had like 3.5x more HuCards released (and dramatically more optical too) than the pitiful US handling.

I'm in agreement it'll get hacked, and I think it would be the best boon of any hacked system, even over the Nintendo duo of excellence that started this whole trend of doing it that way by the old guard using HDMI but old style display appearances inside and out.  If I had to own one out of the box I'd be happy with the PCE device (to go with my real one I have), but I'd really only want to own it, once it was hacked.  I've already got a CG2 and an Everdrive, but that thing doesn't do optical, yet that system displays so cleanly I don't care it's not HDMI.  But if I could throw the old CDs I used to love from both regions, I'd be lost in that thing for days, weeks, months to come.  I wouldn't go overkill or nothing would get done, but to just have the CDs I used to own from both regions would be an instant buy for me.
Yeah. I think the decision to make it the same software worldwide is what killed the other US selections. It's awesome that we'll finally be able to legitimately own some of these without spending crazy money.

I was hoping to make an UperGrafx UGX-02 operation guide video featuring these titles since I don't think the creator wants to see anything with games I don't legitimately own... but 2020?! That's a bit too far out for my plans. Guess I'll just put my AES copies in the frame when demonstrating the Arcade Card features. ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more, it is quite nice.  And this thread clearly showed a value of what around 1500 for the game selection on one, and that's insane.  Just imagine a unit that probably should value 15x less expensive and it really paints the picture.  The only other unit of quality build that gave such a beefy cute from the pure console world was the SNES lineup which broke the 1K barrier too.

I don't know what the UGX creators beliefs or politics are when it comes to what his tool likely really is obviously being used for but, hey whatever, keep the guy happy as he's doing good work.  If that wasn't into the too expensive realm for me I'd consider it as a compliment to the everdrive I have.  Yet given what this device, even if it is 2020 can do, after presumably being hacked, this will be the key unit for true fun for many including me.  Back in the day before the collection killer days 15 years back I had some really great stuff, a few bought online from ebay, but most were TZD and the local shop of the day.  Rayxanber 2 and 3, Macross 2036, Dracula X, Ys Book 1+2, Gate of Thunder, Cotton, Panic Bomber, Godzilla (US), and others my mind is slipping on reading a list would clear up.  I had a smaller but really decent selection of CDs considering the US card library was pretty weak.

Nice lineup. Has M2 been confirmed yet as handling the software?

Wish it had Final Soldier, Galaga '88, Gate of Thunder, Prince of Persia CD, and 1941: Counter Attack for the SuperGrafx. And I'd of swapped out Space Harrier for the impressive Outrun port.

Hard for me to find any real complaints though since it was never going to cover everything I'd of wanted to see. But it comes impressively close for me and hopefully it will be hacker friendly to fill the few holes. 

Edited by Atariboy

13 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Going through pricecharting... and looking at the loose prices...  for the 24 TurboGrafx games, the total would be $1441.  With the most expensive one being Soldier Blade ($170) and least expensive being Power Golf ($10).

I paid $140 for Soldier Blade complete... but that was the PC Engine version so the TG-16 version must be more expensive.

They pretty much always are more expensive for the US versions.  It was a big deciding factor a couple years ago when I finally mentally caved and decided to get back into NEC land again.  I had sat on it for a long while weighing all the choices from getting back a US Duo to the Core Grafx, JP Duo or the Duo-RX.  I had a good list of reasons going for one then the next for pro's and con's.  In the end I didn't want to try and try and find a heap of ISOs this go around and found game prices were manageable to very very fair for JP stuff but basically cock punching when it came to both cards and discs on the US side. I immediately wrote off the Duo for our region, then having looked into all the various failing issues with the Duo line vs the stand alone CD add-on units and so on I decided in the end a Core Grafx made the most sense with a mix of real games and an everdrive holding out for a non-suck simulator of sorts like TO didn't ever get right that happens to do HDMI.  UGX fits the bill more than less but it's still needing a good bit of development and the price is pretty steep.

Yeah, it looks like Hori is making the multitap and extra controllers. Their US website seems to agree with Konami's page which indicates that Hori is not going to offer TurboGrafx-16-style or CoreGrafx-style spare controllers. The ones sold 1 to 1 with the console aren't their problem but the ones sold separately are and it would be a risk to make a bunch of different kinds and end up getting stuck with a glut of particularly unpopular ones.

Their Wireless Fighting Commander for SNES Classic Edition didn't seem to sell too well since they are still sitting around stores all over. They'll want to play it safe. Who knows though: Maybe the TG16 or CoreGrafx version will sell gangbusters and they'll whip up a batch of matching controllers to capitalize. One can hope!

• Like 1