IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

I was actually looking at the TG-16 Mini on Amazon USA just yesterday and it was not available at all. Now I know why. Well, I will still give you guys my thoughts on it as soon as I get it on the 19th/20th (hopefully they deliver on the 19th before I have to go to work and miss it!). It seems I may not get the turbo controller on that day (why was this not the default controller here? 100% historical accuracy with the controller is unneeded, especially since they stopped making regular controllers after a short while and there are SuperGrafx games on this thing!), so I might have to use the regular controller. It's bad enough that there is no Avenue Pad 3 option, but at least I won't have to worry about shooting slowly in Salamander since we're getting Tokimeki Memorial instead.

• Like 1

I find a bit unfair that people who ordered the Japanese version this week will still get their system on March 19, while those who order the US or European version months ago (I preordered in July) will have to wait. :( And it's not like I can buy an Evercade inbetween, since it will probably be pushed back again as well.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I find a bit unfair that people who ordered the Japanese version this week will still get their system on March 19, while those who order the US or European version months ago (I preordered in July) will have to wait. :( And it's not like I can buy an Evercade inbetween, since it will probably be pushed back again as well.

I too pre-ordered in July.  If only the mini console had a release date right before the virus outbreak.  Then it would have been fine.

3 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Yeah, this is extremely weird. Honestly I thought about getting the CoreGrafx Mini because I have a CoreGrafx and not a regular PC Engine. Since I already have the arcade version of Salamander on the Switch, I decided to get the PC Engine Mini for Tokimeki Memorial instead. Now I am very glad that I decided to get the PC Engine Mini and not the CoreGrafx Mini. Still, I promise everyone that I will post my thoughts on it as soon as I can sit down with it on the 19th, or the 20th at the latest if they don't get it to me before I have to go to work.

• Like 1

I'm 100% sure the PCB is the same as the turbo controller and they just tweaked the shell and sticker to leave out the switches. :(

A few weeks ago I noticed that they were selling a carrying case reminiscent of the IFU-30. Now they've also got a PCE Mini magazine. I even see a third party AC adapter, which is weird considering it's just a USB power adapter.

I was wondering why the multitap USB hub had 5 ports like the original when the system has two ports (UNlike the original). It occurred to me that USB hubs are typically 4 ports. Even 7 port hubs are typically two 4-port hubs with one port occupied from daisy-chaining. It very likely occupies both ports breaking out one with a 4-port hub and passing through the unused port. 4+1 makes sense.

3 minutes ago, CZroe said:

I'm 100% sure the PCB is the same as the turbo controller and they just tweaked the shell and sticker to leave out the switches. :(

A few weeks ago I noticed that they were selling a carrying case reminiscent of the IFU-30. Now they've also got a PCE Mini magazine. I even see a third party AC adapter, which is weird considering it's just a USB power adapter.

I was wondering why the multitap USB hub had 5 ports like the original when the system has two ports (UNlike the original). It occurred to me that USB hubs are typically 4 ports. Even 7 port hubs are typically two 4-port hubs with one port occupied from daisy-chaining. It very likely occupies both ports breaking out one with a 4-port hub and passing through the unused port. 4+1 makes sense.

Yep, they are identical. The non-turbo controller even has the slots for the turbo switches on the inside!

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Meh, it's already missed the TG-16's 30th birthday, so what's a few more weeks or months? It emulates well on the Raspberry Pi in the meantime. 

13 hours ago, CZroe said:

Thanks for checking that. Yeah, they even have it in a double-thick case though all the other cards in this format came in single-thick case so they were definitely looking for attention. :) That said, I recently found that an original Arcade Card Pro case wouldn't fit my protector sleeve like a standard case would, so it's a bit thicker than a standard jewel case:
http://imgur.com/a/FxAsGcE

No problem, I knew I had a tool that would leave no visual marks and the glue was so solid still I didn't need to work that either thankfully.  I do have the sorta-complete game, there was like this added fold out art thing/poster whatever with Chun Li on its cover and I wish I had that but do not.

No problem, I knew I had a tool that would leave no visual marks and the glue was so solid still I didn't need to work that either thankfully.  I do have the sorta-complete game, there was like this added fold out art thing/poster whatever with Chun Li on its cover and I wish I had that but do not.

Yeah. Sounds like they really gave SFII' the treatment!

Despite having those metal spudgers from the Ten No Koe Bank disassembly, I did the Arcade Card Pro by hand as a spur-of-the-moment thing because I noticed a gap in the shell.

So far on all of my covered cards there is no lip on the PCB side of the cover making that the perfect part to lever from. Of course, I don't want to sick metal spudgers in there blindly either before I know what's inside and where it's safe. atariage_icon_wink.gif

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It emulates well on the Raspberry Pi in the meantime.

I'm pretty sure my real PC Engine and my expensive Super CD-ROM² emulate it even better "in the meantime". >_<

I was just hoping to publish a big review for my website, and I really doubt bigger sites that will get the Japanese version will 'wait' for me. ?

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm pretty sure my real PC Engine and my expensive Super CD-ROM² emulate it even better "in the meantime". >_ I was just hoping to publish a big review for my website, and I really doubt bigger sites that will get the Japanese version will 'wait' for me. [emoji53]

That sucks. I had planned something similar. :(
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm pretty sure my real PC Engine and my expensive Super CD-ROM² emulate it even better "in the meantime". >_<

I was just hoping to publish a big review for my website, and I really doubt bigger sites that will get the Japanese version will 'wait' for me. ?

4 hours ago, CZroe said:

That sucks. I had planned something similar. :(

I'd hook you guys up if you feel like fighting over who gets to borrow mine first!

I'll still want to spend a day or two with it myself, but given how much time I spent with the other 2 mini consoles I have, I will play it for maybe 20 minutes and get tired of it. Just not a fan of these cheap emulator consoles in general, it seems. Maybe this one will change my mind. It does seem to be the best of the lot so far, but that still doesn't say much. Hopefully the situation gets all sorted out by then, though, and maybe it won't even be necessary to ship it all around the world!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CZroe said:

Yeah. Sounds like they really gave SFII' the treatment!

Despite having those metal spudgers from the Ten No Koe Bank disassembly, I did the Arcade Card Pro by hand as a spur-of-the-moment thing because I noticed a gap in the shell.

So far on all of my covered cards there is no lip on the PCB side of the cover making that the perfect part to lever from. Of course, I don't want to sick metal spudgers in there blindly either before I know what's inside and where it's safe. atariage_icon_wink.gif

They did  I want you and anyone who cares about that added stuff in the SF2CE PCE double sized jewel case box to check this out.  http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm

The link there (site in general) is an excellent source for Japanese PCE HuCard then CDs, FC+FDS, and SFC reviews.  They also throw all the extra omake, images, stories, etc they can dig up on a title and include it.  The SF2CE piece, it has a pic of the thing and a little write up among other stuff.  It's totally worth taking a peek at it.  Now the game itself, it makes the Genesis one look and sound even more awful than it already was/is.  The PCE one damn well rivals the SNES game in quality in many respects which is a feat.

• Like 1

I'd hook you guys up if you feel like fighting over who gets to borrow mine first!

I'll still want to spend a day or two with it myself, but given how much time I spent with the other 2 mini consoles I have, I will play it for maybe 20 minutes and get tired of it. Just not a fan of these cheap emulator consoles in general, it seems. Maybe this one will change my mind. It does seem to be the best of the lot so far, but that still doesn't say much. Hopefully the situation gets all sorted out by then, though, and maybe it won't even be necessary to ship it all around the world!

Well, my plan only involves the controller and it would need to be a turbo pad at that so I'm hoping I can just order one of those. Thanks anyway though. :)

5 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Well, my plan only involves the controller and it would need to be a turbo pad at that so I'm hoping I can just order one of those. Thanks anyway though. :)

Oh, I guess that works. I am still not happy about the PC Engine Mini buyers having to get the turbo controller separately. I did some more reading and it seems I will get the turbo controller on launch day as well. I will run it through Chris Covell's controller test thingy on the MiSTer to see how fast the turbo is!

https://www.amazon.com/Hori-Turbo-Controller-Turbografx-16-Mini-Specific/dp/B07V1Q2G8T/ref=pd_sbs_63_1/147-6689360-7618201?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07V1Q2G8T&pd_rd_r=e24f3da0-9152-46fc-9272-dd297e496601&pd_rd_w=ZyFWg&pd_rd_wg=O1AE1&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=7QRK0XBGXJABMMTST5WP&psc=1&refRID=7QRK0XBGXJABMMTST5WP

Looks like it is still available on Amazon USA even though the TG-16 Mini isn't. I am also still really disappointed that the TG-16 and CoreGrafx colored USB controllers are not available for separate purchase, and the PC Engine one is the only one we can buy separately.

• Like 1

Oh, I guess that works. I am still not happy about the PC Engine Mini buyers having to get the turbo controller separately. I did some more reading and it seems I will get the turbo controller on launch day as well. I will run it through Chris Covell's controller test thingy on the MiSTer to see how fast the turbo is!

https://www.amazon.com/Hori-Turbo-Controller-Turbografx-16-Mini-Specific/dp/B07V1Q2G8T/ref=pd_sbs_63_1/147-6689360-7618201?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07V1Q2G8T&pd_rd_r=e24f3da0-9152-46fc-9272-dd297e496601&pd_rd_w=ZyFWg&pd_rd_wg=O1AE1&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=7QRK0XBGXJABMMTST5WP&psc=1&refRID=7QRK0XBGXJABMMTST5WP

Looks like it is still available on Amazon USA even though the TG-16 Mini isn't. I am also still really disappointed that the TG-16 and CoreGrafx colored USB controllers are not available for separate purchase, and the PC Engine one is the only one we can buy separately.

Same. I had really hoped the replicas of each would be available. I was still holding out hope that there would be enough demand for the US launch to convince them to make more of the TurboPad style but now I really doubt that. :(

If I were in charge I would sell the pads for $15-20 each (comparable to similar USB pads with a sizeable up-charge for being licensed TG/PCE replicas), and a pad/tap bundle with two pads and a hub for $50. As it is, the price of a hub and four extra controllers is just too prohibitive. They will sell very few full sets. I feel they have squandered the economies of scale you get by sticking with one controller design.

4 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Same. I had really hoped the replicas of each would be available. I was still holding out hope that there would be enough demand for the US launch to convince them to make more of the TurboPad style but now I really doubt that. :(

If I were in charge I would sell the pads for $15-20 each (comparable to similar USB pads with a sizeable up-charge for being licensed TG/PCE replicas), and a pad/tap bundle with two pads and a hub for $50. As it is, the price of a hub and four extra controllers is just too prohibitive. They will sell very few full sets. I feel they have squandered the economies of scale you get by sticking with one controller design.

Yeah, I think the controller is a little bit on the expensive side for what it is, but at least it is the turbo version. It will be a great MiSTer controller for NES/FC/FDS and PC Engine/TG-16 games, for sure, though, so I was still happy to buy one. I just wish it was included in the box like the rest of the world got. Oh well. Now I will have 2 good USB PC Engine controllers! I wonder if they will work on the Switch, too, for that matter.

I think I read somewhere that the Mega Drive Mini controller works on the Switch, but now that I think about it, I never thought to test it! I am at work though, so I can't right now. We are super slow this time of year and the virus has made it worse, unfortunately, which is why I am here instead of being productive!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

49 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

which is why I am here instead of being productive!

But you're quite productive here! You created your AtariAge account just a little more than a month ago and are already close to match my post count. O_O

Well, a lot of them are about SuperGrafx having only 5 games, the sequence-breaking removed from Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mega Drive Mini's input lag for Sonic 2, and Gleylancer but still! ;)

4 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

But you're quite productive here! You created your AtariAge account just a little more than a month ago and are already close to match my post count. O_O

Well, a lot of them are about SuperGrafx having only 5 games, the sequence-breaking removed from Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mega Drive Mini's input lag for Sonic 2, and Gleylancer but still! ;)

Lol yeah. You missed me being a huge PC Engine/TurboGrafx evangelist, though!

I think the time difference has a lot to do with it, though. Basically since I'm in +9 time zone I show up while everyone in the rest of the world is asleep, say my stuff, and then wait for everyone in Europe and NA to actually wake up and reply over the course of the next day or so, and then make it a point to address everyone who replies directly to me.

That, and my wide range of interest in games (I will literally play almost anything on any system that I have real hardware for), make it pretty easy for me to say a lot of stuff in a short time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=turbografx%2B16%2Bmini&qid=1583828577&sr=8-1&th=1

It's available for preorder again on Amazon USA. Release date shown is the typical Amazon December 31 placeholder date = actual release date still TBD. Not sure about what EU Amazon sites say, so I guess check your country's local Amazon if you want. Amazon Japan still has all 3 models listed with a 3/19 release date for some reason.

• Like 1

It seems 8BitDo's wireless controller for PC Engine Mini has been leaked. I do not know if there is a version for the real system, though, and since there doesn't seem to be a wireless Avenue Pad 3 and given 8BitDo's unbelievably terrible d-pads (with one outlier: the really awesome M30 2.4g, which actually is a not-terrible controller and actually has a good d-pad), I think I will pass. Both my CoreGrafx color controller and my Shuttle controller have squishy d-pads and the Avenue Pad 3's isn't the best, so maybe this might be a viable option if it manages to be better than those (probably not).

https://www.reddit.com/r/TurboGrafx/comments/ffvv4l/8bitdo_p30_24g_wireless_gamepad_unreleased/

Maybe someone else will be interested enough to try it, though.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=turbografx%2B16%2Bmini&qid=1583828577&sr=8-1&th=1

It's available for preorder again on Amazon USA. Release date shown is the typical Amazon December 31 placeholder date = actual release date still TBD. Not sure about what EU Amazon sites say, so I guess check your country's local Amazon if you want. Amazon Japan still has all 3 models listed with a 3/19 release date for some reason.

Still 3/19 in France... ?

36 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It seems 8BitDo's wireless controller for PC Engine Mini has been leaked. I do not know if there is a version for the real system, though, and since there doesn't seem to be a wireless Avenue Pad 3 and given 8BitDo's unbelievably terrible d-pads (with one outlier: the really awesome M30 2.4g, which actually is a not-terrible controller and actually has a good d-pad), I think I will pass. Both my CoreGrafx color controller and my Shuttle controller have squishy d-pads and the Avenue Pad 3's isn't the best, so maybe this might be a viable option if it manages to be better than those (probably not).

https://www.reddit.com/r/TurboGrafx/comments/ffvv4l/8bitdo_p30_24g_wireless_gamepad_unreleased/

Maybe someone else will be interested enough to try it, though.

Really cute! And yes, the M30 is indeed great.

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Really cute! And yes, the M30 is indeed great.

This new PC Engine controller is basically a copy of their new N30 but with a PC Engine design and PC Engine d-pad. Too bad no turbo sliders, but I can see it being useful in games like R-Type so you don't have to choose between turbo and charge. I can't think of any games where the slow turbo setting is better than the fast turbo setting with my limited experience so far. I guess slow turbo is a bit safer in Super Darius if you miss your shots and have to wait for them to disappear before you can shoot again, but that's about it, so just not missing is still better.

I will leave it to someone else to find out if it's good or not. Still too bad there are no real options for wireless PC Engine controllers that I know of aside from those official ones from NEC 30 years ago, but those are unfortunately IR.

• 2 weeks later...

PC Engine Mini get!!!

Pic_0319_253.thumb.jpg.a938e68cf07b80e5e476b4aa651b0e6a.jpg

CD tracklist. I was under the impression that I would be getting 2 CDs, but I guess not. This photographed horribly. Sorry.

Pic_0319_254.thumb.jpg.5d0e1bf0eb4704dffc0d5c5a33aec3fe.jpg

Real vs Mini size comparison.

Pic_0319_258.thumb.jpg.85aa03e414886e67f0925d1be4aa88c5.jpg

Comes with the cover attached! Remove to reveal HDMI and USB power thingy.

Pic_0319_256.thumb.jpg.a45e32ace06bc6c29a7a2ae334844d49.jpg

Pic_0319_257.thumb.jpg.a4d25a40fc824cd55d8564909958b631.jpg

They did not get me the turbo controller, unfortunately. Maybe manufacturing is still messed up. The controller is a regular PC Engine controller with a slightly better d-pad and an INSANELY LONG CABLE! It's about 3 meters long at least, I'd guess. No pictures since I think it's easy to imagine a non-turbo white PC Engine controller with a really long USB cable attached. Impressions of the system to follow.

Okay, I did some testing. Controller texture feels considerably smoother than my real PC Engine controllers and the d-pad is not all squishy, which is good. It seems you have to press the run and select buttons all the way in order to engage them, which is annoying. Too bad Konami was not able to ship the turbo controller, and it feels really weird playing PC Engine games without turbo or the Avenue Pad 3. This controller does not work on the Switch, so if you were planning on playing Castlevania or Contra collections with it you can go to hell. MiSTer also does not like it and the NES core tells me to go define it again even though I already did, kind of. I do not have the USB hub so I have to constantly unplug whatever controller I am defining to plug the keyboard back in, which has lead me to not be able to use some controllers properly with the MiSTer, including this one, which is probably the main reason that I hate the MiSTer. It shows up in Windows as "PCEngine PAD", though, so I imagine it works there. Good luck finding a PC game that only requires 4 buttons and a d-pad that isn't Sonic Mania!

The system gives you a choice of what language you want when you turn it on for the first time. The menu is basically an almost exact copy of the Genesis/MD Mini in some places. You get a few options for aspect ratio, and I don't like any of them. It seems to run at 720p, just like all other mini consoles. Default is 4:3 at a 3X vertical scale with no interpolation, so you get uneven pixel sizes and shimmering. There is also an option to fill the screen vertically, which of course has the same problem. Then there is a square pixels 3X mode, which is too narrow, but no shimmering. There is a 16:9 ratio for people who want to completely destroy these games. Finally, there is an option for the PC Engine GT bezel and screen. In the TurboGrafx-16 games, it does actually change to the TurboExpress bezel instead, which I thought was cool. There is a CRT filter, but it's literally exactly the same as the one on the MD/Genesis Mini. It seems nobody at M2 has ever seen a CRT in their entire life, so we are still stuck with this disappointing thing. The one good thing about it is that its blurriness hides pixel shimmer, but it's still dark and has super weak scanlines.

All games are in their proper resolutions, which leads to at least one problem, which I will get to. Dracula X runs at a lower resolution than most PC Engine games and doesn't fill as much of the screen vertically, just like it does on my real PC Engine + OSSC. This is accurate to the real game and I'm glad they didn't try to stretch it out or something to fill more vertical space. R-Type is here, and you might know that it runs in a super weird resolution, which means it has crazy shimmering no matter what aspect ratio you run it at.

The input lag seems to have been cleaned up considerably from the MD/Genesis Mini and also from Tokyo Game Show. Everything seems responsive enough, and I tested it in Dracula X by pressing the up button to see how fast Richter's sprite changes as he prepares to throw the subweapon or whatever it is he does when you press up. It seems to be relatively fast, but if you have a screen with a better response time than mine, maybe you might notice some lag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1