IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

21 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

Darkwing Duck was released at the beginning of 1992. Too many great Turbo games to list were released around then and over the next couple years, including Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Beyond Shadowgate, Bonk 3, Magical Chase, Dungeon Explorer II, Bomberman '93, Air Zonk, etc.

It's often been pointed out over the years just how many great PC Engjne games made it over here. The Turbo library may be much smaller than Genesis and SNES, but it's still packed with quality games and those other libraries are also missing a large number of great Japanese games. It's likely that the Turbo library has a better good-to-bad game ratio than those other libraries.

Arguably the PC Engine library's greatest strength is its RPG games, but RPGs were unpopular in North America until the Turbo line was being shutdown.

Keep in mind that there weren't 700 games in Japan. By the time Hudson Soft told TTi to stop localizing more games and only finish off some of what was on their slate, there were only around 500 and this after the big surge in the previous year. By the time the Arcade Card came out TTi was burning off their advertising budget on inside jokes.

Yeah, Darkwing Duck was a bad example. Anyway, those games you mentioned are all good games and the TurboGrafx definitely has an excellent ratio of good games compared to other systems, but the consumers didn't want those games. They wanted Mario, Sonic, etc., so they didn't buy the TurboGrafx. People who actually had the thing would have looked forward to new releases, though.

The PC Engine didn't have its almost 700 games available on launch day, as that took time to develop, but more games should have been available in the US. TTi did what it could after it was created, from what I understand, and it was someone else (probably in Japan) that kept denying them the ability to bring over games that they wanted. I'm guessing that that's when they started doing the Johnny Turbo stuff since they really didn't have much else to do at that point. The whole thing was mishandled by someone (probably in Japan) from a very early point, and I am not sure when that point was. I definitely think R-Type or something else like that should have been the pack-in, not Keith Courage, but it had a respectable amount of quality games available shortly after launch. The PC Engine had everything that it needed to do well, and it did. The TurboGrafx is a PC Engine, so it also should have been a great success, but it failed.

The average consumer doesn't really know much about games, though, so when they go to the store, I imagine many of them chose to pass by the relatively smaller TurboGrafx section in favour of the Genesis and SNES sections. A few years ago I asked my father why he bought the Genesis, and his answer was simple: "because it had more games". A sample size of 1 person isn't very conclusive, though.

I never saw the TurboGrafx in stores. It was long gone before I learned it existed (which was in 2012~2013 or so, if you can believe that), but the Genesis and SNES and their games were still readily available until the early 2000s, when I got my last Genesis game, Comix Zone. I am from Alaska, so it's possible that we got a smaller TurboGrafx stock than the lower 48. We always get stuff way later than everyone else, though. I remember when we got our first Best Buy in like 2004 or something like that. It wouldn't surprise me if we never even got the TurboGrafx in stores at all.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
spelling

47 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I imagine many of them chose to pass by the relatively smaller TurboGrafx section in favour of the Genesis and SNES sections. 

At first, for a good while in stores the Turbografx and Genesis sections were pretty much very comparable.  Consumers would stand there, look at the Turbografx section on the left, and Genesis on the right for example. There really was no clear winner as both showed games that looked so much better than the NES... you had to toss a coin. :lol:

It was a while before the SNES even came into play.. like 2 years, which is an eternity in video game land at the time.  But THAT'S around the time frame when the TG16 section sadly and quickly started seeming markedly inferior, and gradually smaller. I remember the section that had Air Zonk, displayed with other titles like Psychosis and I was like "I don't really care" (although I did buy Psychosis for some reason and passed on Air Zonk lol).

• Like 1

BITD when I was an avid TG-16 collector/player and besides Darkwing Duck, (ignoring the weak titles that came before for now) plenty of titles released from '91 on that I didn't care for... Addams Family, Air Zonk, Andre Panza Kickboxing, Ballistix, Camp California, Champions Forever, Dynastic Hero, Falcon, Ghost Manor, Gunboat, Impossamole, Jackie Chan, Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, New Adventure Island, Night Creatures, Parasol Stars, Samurai Ghost, Shockman, Silent Debuggers, Somer Assault (WTF?), Splash Lake, Super Air Zonk, Tailspin, Tiger Road, Time Cruise, Yo' Bro and World Sports Competition are some that come to mind.

That's 29 games toward the end that weren't all that compelling to me. And yes I bought, owned and played nearly the entire library of TurboChips and most of the CD games at one point. Falcon might have been the only HuCard I never bothered to pursue - can't remember... as if that's not telling enough. :lol:

Was really disappointed in the lineup by this time and was starting to pursue Japanese games, but continued to collect TG-16 games anyway thanks to clearance prices and TZD. While I can appreciate some games like Air Zonk or Jackie Chan today, at the time, felt they were a little too kiddie-like. And Magical Chase, pfft - though Cotton was better. Same goes for any of the big-headed, stubby or cartoony side scrolling/platform games, of which there are way too many on the TG-16 and PCE. As someone in their mid to late 20's and despite purchasing anyway for "completion" purposes, weren't exactly the kind of games I wanted to be playing then. Or now for that matter. 

56 minutes ago, NE146 said:

At first, for a good while in stores the Turbografx and Genesis sections were pretty much very comparable.  Consumers would stand there, look at the Turbografx section on the left, and Genesis on the right for example. There really was no clear winner as both showed games that looked so much better than the NES... you had to toss a coin. :lol:

It was a while before the SNES even came into play.. like 2 years, which is an eternity in video game land at the time.  But THAT'S around the time frame when the TG16 section sadly and quickly started seeming markedly inferior, and gradually smaller. I remember the section that had Air Zonk, displayed with other titles like Psychosis and I was like "I don't really care" (although I did buy Psychosis for some reason and passed on Air Zonk lol).

Closer to launch, yes, I imagine it must have been a difficult choice. It must have been annoying to see the releases slow down so much, and it seems that at least some people who bought the system closer to launch started to feel disappointed by the lack of support for the system as time went on. Seeing the huge flood of new Genesis and SNES games compared to the considerably slower and fewer releases on the TurboGrafx must have been frustrating for TurboGrafx people.

49 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Was really disappointed in the lineup by this time and was starting to pursue Japanese games

You mean Japanese PC Engine games? What did you do about the region lock on HuCARD games? I guess there would only have been 2 options: converter or using a PC Engine.

You really should have grabbed Magical Chase! There are 2 copies in Akiba right now. 76700 yen each. They are the Japanese version, of course. Aside from the altered visuals, I am not sure what all they changed. Time to go to The Cutting Room Floor.

14 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You mean Japanese PC Engine games? What did you do about the region lock on HuCARD games? I guess there would only have been 2 options: converter or using a PC Engine.

You really should have grabbed Magical Chase! There are 2 copies in Akiba right now. 76700 yen each. They are the Japanese version, of course. Aside from the altered visuals, I am not sure what all they changed. Time to go to The Cutting Room Floor.

Yes, I had a Kisado-type converter in the mid 90's... hated that ugly thing, that etched scratches into the bottom of my games and felt like I was ruining the pins in my TG-16 by inserting. IIRC, the edge connector wasn't beveled, was too thick or something.   

Anyway, I already had Magical Chase by then... bought new from TZD and didn't care for it. Feel the same today. Had a complete library of mint and CIB TG-16 HuCards (save maybe for Falcon like I said), but sold it all by the late 90's. TOTALLY REGRET!!!    :mad:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Yes, I had a Kisado-type converter in the mid 90's... hated that ugly thing, that etched scratches into the bottom of my games and felt like I was ruining the pins in my TG-16 by inserting. IIRC, the edge connector wasn't beveled, was too thick or something.   

Anyway, I already had Magical Chase by then... bought new from TZD and didn't care for it. Feel the same today. Had a complete library of mint and CIB TG-16 HuCards (save maybe for Falcon like I said), but sold it all by the late 90's. TOTALLY REGRET!!!    :mad:

Yeah, HuCARD converters are ugly. They've also become more expensive than a PC Engine, so there's not much point in buying the converter now. That must have been extremely useful 30 years ago, though, when the PC Engine would probably be expensive to import. You really should have held on to Magical Chase! There are only a handful of games that I can think of that are more expensive than US Magical Chase, and none of them are Japanese PC Engine games.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sapicco said:

I had one made last year... but due to recent events I have no idea if he's doing them right now.

10 hours ago, save2600 said:

Bomberman '94

The US version is rare? It must be since I've never seen it for sale anywhere. There are tons of them here in town. Every time I think of US Bomberman, I think of this box art

tg16_bomberman_p_jg8mf9.jpg

Kind of related, but there is a stack of brand-new sealed copies of Bomberman Panic Bomber over in Super Potato right now. They have like 10 of them, and they are like 700 yen each or something.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Might as well just go get a PC Engine instead of paying those prices.

What the heck. Well those are certainly different, and look a lot newer and fancier than the old plastic one I have (which I think was ~$9.99). But why are they so long physically? And why so pricey?

1933395773_2020-04-1712_04_41.thumb.jpg.5734ec314ff81eb7112c97c02a4bf8f9.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NE146 said:

What the heck. Well those are certainly different, and look a lot newer and fancier than the old plastic one I have (which I think was ~$9.99). But why are they so long physically? And why so pricey?

Now that converter, I wouldn't have minded owning. Looks much more professional and sensible, in both size and cost. Why the ugly longer ones are so much (especially today), have no idea. Believe mine was $50 BITD. 

• Like 2

I agree I've seen that small module style before that's enclosed like a proper product, and then all those like what 6-8" long ones like TTi/TZD.com and others sold that are flimsy and exposed, it's like a TG16 version of a Lickitung sticking out there with the game beyond that.  It's strange how they all more or less work the same, though I recall some long ones lack a pin so some stuff won't work if I remember right.  IT's crazy what people pay for the long ones and the small one which isn't a problem seems to go for less.  I caught up on this insanity 3 years back when I got a core grafx2 and ended up actually securing one of the long adapters because of a deal so good it wasn't a factor.  I ended up cutting someone a deal on the thing as it felt wrong getting $100 for the dumb board.

• Haha 1

So the Japanese government is giving away 100,000 yen in stimulus money. I'm thinking of buying either a PC Engine LT or 1941 Counter Attack with that cash, unless I decide to save it, which I should and probably will since buying either of those is a waste, but I definitely want both of them some day. Which one would YOU buy if you got the free money?

On 4/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, NE146 said:

Yeah, I thought this one was the one you meant, but I can't seem to find any of this type on ebay right now.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, save2600 said:

Was getting my Bomberman's mixed up. Had TG-16 Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and PCE Bomberman '94 as well BITD.

Oh, Bomberman 93. Yeah, the US version is pretty expensive, even if you get only the HuCARD and not the case and manual. Regular Bomberman was the first HuCARD I bought and the first game that I played on my PC Engine. Not much fun alone. It's actually pretty boring alone. Maybe I should have gotten something else instead, but it was cheap and it's apparently a lot of fun if you have people to play it with. I live alone and don't have a typical work schedule that includes working a full day every Saturday, so that makes it difficult.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So the Japanese government is giving away 100,000 yen in stimulus money. I'm thinking of buying either a PC Engine LT or 1941 Counter Attack with that cash, unless I decide to save it, which I should and probably will since buying either of those is a waste, but I definitely want both of them some day. Which one would YOU buy if you got the free money?

Hardware>software when it comes to swinging big. Get that LT man!

18 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Hardware>software when it comes to swinging big. Get that LT man!

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The thing is that I know where there is a working 1941 Counter Attack in town. The only LT available in town right now is the one over at BEEP for just under 600,000 yen, which is way too much when you can usually get one for about 80,000 yen. Anything that I get on the internet is something that I can't inspect in person before buying. I'm somewhat willing to take a risk and get an LT from ebay, Amazon, Yahoo Auctions (best option for the LT, usually), or Mercari, but we will see.

Clear PC Engine and controller replacement shells from Retro Game Restore:

Image gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/gpEJiUo
9a3853626139b31d4739ef0bb8258734.jpg

These guys teased the clear shell a while back but said they were one-offs. Seems they noticed all the interest and they're now floating the idea of producing about 100 of them. Sounds like they're looking into modifying the design to accommodate board from CoreGrafx (not just the original PCE).

Possibly even bigger news: I mentioned HuDebug while expressing interest and it seems that they haven't abandoned it and are planning to do something this year:
37faa0bd18faa37acc368e672302d41e.jpg

HuDebug is the flash card that lets you play CD games in HuCard form factor (play DracX on the GT/Express!). Been anticipating it for several years...
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Clear PC Engine and controller replacement shells from Retro Game Restore:

Image gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/gpEJiUo
9a3853626139b31d4739ef0bb8258734.jpg

These guys teased the clear shell a while back but said they were one-offs. Seems they noticed all the interest and they're now floating the idea of producing about 100 of them. Sounds like they're looking into modifying the design to accommodate board from CoreGrafx (not just the original PCE).

Possibly even bigger news: I mentioned HuDebug while expressing interest and it seems that they haven't abandoned it and are planning to do something this year:
37faa0bd18faa37acc368e672302d41e.jpg

HuDebug is the flash card that lets you play CD games in HuCard form factor (play DracX on the GT/Express!). Been anticipating it for several years...

Definitely want both of these. Too bad I don't use Facebook, but I guess I can find some other way to contact them. Glad they did decide to produce both of these after all.

• Like 1