IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

So I have to give the TG16 Mini (and the coregrafx/pce mini by default) two big thumbs up.

I wasn't even going to open mine at all because what would be the point, but curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad I did. In fact I'd say it's my favorite of all the mini consoles. It's just well put together (although putting the power cable in the back of the tg16 shell is kind of a pain) and the game selection is choice.  I did find it odd they went with the watered down JJ & Jeff instead of Kato and Ken. And then they put in the jap Bonk's Adventure instead of the US one. Bonk is still fully playable of course, but there are some parts with dialogue, like when you kill the bosses. No biggie at the end of the day though. 

Is it worth $100? Others could probably be served well by waiting until the price drops, but for me I don't regret it at all. My opinion on it is don't pass on this one, doesn't matter if you have a big Turbo collection or not. :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

It depends... my copy was only $35 loose...

Yeah, that's typical price for this game loose, if you can find it. I found the Special Version of this game yesterday for about 35000 yen or so. I didn't know it existed, but I do now.

Here's prices on Amazon right now

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0000ZPT88/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Joe said he wasn't going to do this, but here is the Game Sack TurboGrafx-16 mini review.

He does incorrectly state that Splatterhouse is not on the PC Engine mini for some odd reason, but whatever.

This absolutely sold me on the CoreGrafx mini. I didn't like that PC Engine Salamander didn't have the voices from the arcade version, but it seems that Salamander near-Arcade (yes, I know, I hate that capitalization, too) has the voices. I'll get my CoreGrafx mini here in a few weeks. Might replace the PC Engine mini with it completely.

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Still no news for Europe. ? With my luck, it will ship as soon as I won't be able to cancel my (out of spite) order of an Evercade anymore. ?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/PCエンジン-コアグラフィックス-mini-輸入版-欧州/dp/B07QD9GMLM/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&crid=2JFR12XH6WDZ6&dchild=1&keywords=coregrafx+mini&qid=1591579460&sprefix=coregrafx%2Caps%2C270&sr=8-1

Here you go. With the exchange rate, you might actually end up paying less for this + shipping than getting it from Amazon France. Not sure though. You will get it very fast, though, since it's in stock right now and Amazon Japan ships stuff really fast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure. It's less expensive but I think there are taxes on top of shipping, right? Anyway, I'm not necessarily in a hurry but I just want to know if it will ship soon or not, to determine if I should buy an Evercade for a review or not.

I forgot about import tax. I'm not sure if you guys have that or not. At that point, I think the best way to know is to proceed to checkout to see what the final price is, but I'm not sure if any sort of taxes or anything will show up. I just put some stuff in my Amazon USA cart with my Japanese address and went to the checkout. It said "estimated tax to be collected USD 0.00", so I'm not sure what happens with Japan -> France.

Oh man, it's so tempting. But it looks like I need a separate account for Amazon Japan... that might be my last bulwark against the impulse purchase.
Same account. Sometimes they make you log back in or send you a one-time passcode since it might look suspicious, but I've ordered with my USA account before and never made a Japanese account.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CZroe said:
2 hours ago, Zoyous said:
Oh man, it's so tempting. But it looks like I need a separate account for Amazon Japan... that might be my last bulwark against the impulse purchase.

Same account. Sometimes they make you log back in or send you a one-time passcode since it might look suspicious, but I've ordered with my USA account before and never made a Japanese account.

I've never seen that option. Is it new? Well, in any case, I have a separate account for Amazon Japan.

For anyone who doesn't know, you can set Amazon Japan to display in either English or Chinese, if you want. I am not sure if you have to sign in first, but it can be done.

I tried that trick the other day on a GBC game I've been trying to get for a couple years, someone in Germany had it.  I got to putting it into my basket, but then I did click to pay and the seller blocked it as unsellable to the US.  That really infuriated and sickened me after so long, but the lesson, remember it because it could happen from Japan too.

I tried that trick the other day on a GBC game I've been trying to get for a couple years, someone in Germany had it.  I got to putting it into my basket, but then I did click to pay and the seller blocked it as unsellable to the US.  That really infuriated and sickened me after so long, but the lesson, remember it because it could happen from Japan too.
There was a time when Zelda Oczrina of Time 3D was completely unavailable new in stores in the USA but was easily available in Canada. For whatever reason, Amazon.ca had marked it as a regional item that could only be sold to Canada. :( Someone on NintendoAge bought it from a Canadian Walmart for me.

The used game was $45 at GameStop back then (before the Player's Choice re-release). Canadian eBayers could've made a lot of money selling new copies to US buyers back then. :)

Well if someone in europe wants to grab KOnami GB Collection Vol4 from Germany let me know.  It's 99eur which is already bad enough, hate to think what the added shipping charges would be.  I will never understand why it comes up so little yet vol1-3 are always around and far cheaper too despite them all releasing the same day in similar quantities in that region.  It's like it fell into the video gaming bermuda triangle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Yes. Probably won't happen if you are buying something from actual Amazon, not a 3rd party seller's listing on Amazon. Sometimes Amazon does weird crap, though, like when I wasn't able to get Death Stranding limited edition shipped to Japan. I had to ship it to the USA, but then later I noticed that they fixed it so I could send it to Japan. I tried to change the shipping address, but it wouldn't let me, so I cancelled and re-preordered with my Japanese address. How annoying!