IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

12 hours ago, CZroe said:

Congrats! Super jelly.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised to hear that the game shops in Japan are already aware of the Analogue Duo and the potentially increased demand for SGX games... considering that's where the PC Engine enthusiast base has always been centered. This really is Analogue's opportunity to raise their profile in Japan for other products!

I just wish I saw this coming soon enough to hunt for a deal on 1941 Counter Attack. Probably won't be any great deals coming now that everyone there knows the Analogue Duo is coming. :( I

figure the price can only go up so there is little risk in buying it even if you weren't planning to. Change your mind and you can always get your money back, so you probably made the right call.

Yeah, I think the same thing. Prices are going to increase, if anything, so I'd rather endure the pain of buying it now for an extortionate price than waiting too long and having it become unobtainable. I actually did check ebay and some arcade boards for the original game actually recently got sold for a cheaper price than the SuperGrafx version. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, there are 3 more copies at Mandarake in Akiba. Cheapest is 44,000 yen. This one does not have the hagaki, but is otherwise complete. Most expensive is around 90,000 yen, but I forget how much exactly. I'm guessing it is complete. If you want one, PM me since I don't think it will be a problem to work something out. As you know, shipping from Japan is crazy expensive right now, though...

Anyway, RetroRGBob just posted a thing. Here it is.

https://www.retrorgb.com/spark-plug-adapter.html

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Seems Uper GrafX dev just released new version of the software!

News:

ikaebi Changes: 20200204 → 20200912

--Changed color processing from RGB to YCbCr

--Supports external color table

--Fixed mantis bts # 24 (all), # 25 (part)

--Since the process of reading the memory card when the software is started is threaded, the experience starts faster.

--Supports writing of color table.

--Use an open source ini file loader..ccd Supports reading of file.

Translated tweet: "Announcement of the release of the new version. Internal data upergrafx_h3_20201013.pac has been released Communication software ikaebi_20200912.zip has been released"

Also Congratz on Counter Point and that other game...
Me myself I still am missing Granzort and Battle Ace but I need money for other things.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, I think the same thing. Prices are going to increase, if anything, so I'd rather endure the pain of buying it now for an extortionate price than waiting too long and having it become unobtainable. I actually did check ebay and some arcade boards for the original game actually recently got sold for a cheaper price than the SuperGrafx version. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, there are 3 more copies at Mandarake in Akiba. Cheapest is 44,000 yen. This one does not have the hagaki, but is otherwise complete. Most expensive is around 90,000 yen, but I forget how much exactly. I'm guessing it is complete. If you want one, PM me since I don't think it will be a problem to work something out. As you know, shipping from Japan is crazy expensive right now, though...

Anyway, RetroRGBob just posted a thing. Here it is.

https://www.retrorgb.com/spark-plug-adapter.html

I totally understand wanting to complete a full set of something (all SG games), but paying more for a less than perfect port of an arcade game, then the actual arcade game? That seems off to me!

Same for GnG as well, but that seems to be super cheap on SG (or at least use to be).

Also, isn't the most expensive game the mail away version of Darius? Or am I remembering wrong?

9 minutes ago, XtraSmiley said:

I totally understand wanting to complete a full set of something (all SG games), but paying more for a less than perfect port of an arcade game, then the actual arcade game? That seems off to me!

Same for GnG as well, but that seems to be super cheap on SG (or at least use to be).

Also, isn't the most expensive game the mail away version of Darius? Or am I remembering wrong?

Yeah, SuperGrafx pricing is all messed up, but in the case of 1941 Counter Attack, they also didn't make very many of them, most likely because it was the last SuperGrafx game. The port was done by Hudson themselves, and they likely were already planning the cancellation of SuperGrafx production or it already had been cancelled. Either way, I imagine they knew it was going to die soon, so they didn't make many.

But yes, the most expensive Japanese game is Darius Alpha, which is apparently not actually SuperGrafx enhanced like it's supposed to be. The most expensive game for the whole system that I am aware of is the US version of Magical Chase, which costs easily over $10,000.

• Like 1

Seems Uper GrafX dev just released new version of the software!

News:

ikaebi Changes: 20200204 → 20200912

--Changed color processing from RGB to YCbCr

--Supports external color table

--Fixed mantis bts # 24 (all), # 25 (part)

--Since the process of reading the memory card when the software is started is threaded, the experience starts faster.

--Supports writing of color table.

--Use an open source ini file loader..ccd Supports reading of file.

Translated tweet: "Announcement of the release of the new version. Internal data upergrafx_h3_20201013.pac has been released Communication software ikaebi_20200912.zip has been released" 3:21 AM · Oct 19, 2020   Software can be downloaded here: https://howtouse.upergrafx.com/?通信ソフト+-+内部データ更新+/+System+Data+Update+-+Communication

I tried out the new UperGrafx update and spent some time with Startling Odyssey II to check out the difference. The difference is obvious on my TV which doesn't even support full range RGB but the resulting screengrabs over USB (UGX function) do not show nearly the same improvement when viewed on my PC. The before and after shots are clearly different but it just seems slightly brighter.

I made sure to take some screengrabs of Startling Odyssey II before and after the update then line-tripled the output to 720p for these comparison shots:

http://imgur.com/a/IKZPh8C

When I open them on my computer in a way that lets me quickly switch between them it's pretty clear that the updated YUV image is brighter. Then again, I'm color-blind, so maybe I'm not the best person to be looking at this. Still, the difference in David Shadoff's pictures of this same scene were much more distinct... closer to the difference I see on my limited-range television.

I see that the new UperGrafx Control Panel also added a way to update the color tables in the future without requiring a whole new firmware update. That was smart! Especially since some people will want RGB. Hopefully he'll find a way to have both with a toggle since some games could have been developed with RGB in mind.

Took those shots from the translated version of the game I already had in my UGX but I went back to my original image in CCD format and loaded that to test out the new ability to load CCD files instead of CDM. It's about time he added this feature! Crazy that we only got it right after you made an application that helps with this. All he had to do was add *.ccd to the filetype filter in the dialog box and add the strings wherever he hard-coded them for the CDM files. When I asked more than a year ago he said it was difficult for some reason and I got the idea that it was some part of the code he didn't want to mess with. I still can't see how it would be difficult for the person who wrote it to begin with. Maybe he didn't? The update does say he switched to some open-source INI file loader so he must have been using one he couldn't easily change or configure before.

I would translate "internal data" as "firmware" and "communication software" as "Transfer/Control Panel app."

Did I see something earlier about your SGX getting damaged while attempting to modify it for digital output with SGX games? That sucks. :(

I never even opened up my SGX to see if I need to solder directly to the chips or if there are alternate points nearby, like vias. I have done hundreds of UltraHDMI, DCHDMI/DCDigital, WiiDual, PS1Digital, etc installs so I'm pretty comfortable soldering directly to dense chip legs but those use precisely-cut flexPCBs to make it much easier. Though I've soldered wires directly to chips like that for RGB mods like Genesis Triple Bypass and Voultar's DUORGB, I haven't done anything with quite so many legs and I always had spares in case I messed it up. I don't have a spare SGX and I'm not likely to ever get one which is why I hesitated to attempt it. :(

Were you soldering to the HuC6260 Video Color Encoder (VCE) AKA the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) or were you soldering to the HuC6202 Video Priority Controller (VPC) AKA video muxing chip? If it was the 6260 VCE then it should be easy to get a spare. If it was the 6202 VPC then we'd have to salvage it somehow. I'm definitely willing to take a crack at it if you'd like. I have removed and successfully replaced/reinstalled chips like an SNES 1chip and an N64 Reality CoProcessor (RCP) GPU.

http://imgur.com/a/TkcBIRn

It's only one wire, but this N64 repair was me too:

http://imgur.com/a/VXFbWsn

(Mexican N64 with a bad connection between CPU and RCP)

I recall you said it had a white screen, which reminded me of the PAL-modded CoreGrafx I looked at earlier this year:

http://imgur.com/a/AjyI8RL

It worked when I received it but after looking inside I could only get a white screen. It broke even though I didn't change anything! In a panic, I ripped the mod out while documenting the connections. I restored the missing composite video capacitor and replaced the two ceramics for the "jailbar fix." It fired right up and now works great!

Though the game has the same "PC-SG" logo as Darius Plus, Darius Plus seems to be the only one with any actual SGX enhancements. If you want a complete set of SGX games, you can skip Darius Alpha.

Earlier this year I tested it on a SuperGrafx with simultaneous digital output from the UperGrafx connected to only one VDC and the SuperGrafx's native analog output with the combined output of both VDCs:

As you can see, Darius Alpha shows everything on both displays while Darius Plus is missing elements on the digital display. That's because those elements are generated by the second VDC and the EXT port on the back only taps into the first VDC.

The SGX enhancements to the Darius Plus were really just putting some elements on one VDC and some on the other to reduce the number of sprites per line and limit the flickering that happens when there are too many. Since Darius Alpha does not use the second VDC for anything it does not appear to be SGX-enhanced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CZroe said:

As you can see, Darius Alpha shows everything on both displays while Darius Plus is missing elements on the digital display. That's because those elements are generated by the second VDC and the EXT port on the back only taps into the first VDC.

Say what? Seriously? Why would they do that? Does that mean the various "AV booster" that connect to the back don't really work on SGX? 

https://nicole.express/2020/super-ultra-mega-tera-grafx.html
seems to be using the output from the ext port so is she seeing things?
[never tried to move the compat switch to see if the gfx looks different]

3 hours ago, CZroe said:

Darius Plus

I actually don't have that one yet. I've been meaning to find it since technically it is required for a SuperGrafx collection, but since it runs on a regular PC Engine and thus isn't a SuperGrafx exclusive, it's pretty low priority for me right now. I don't know if I've seen any recently. Saw 2 copies of Darius Alpha the other day, though.

• Like 1

We're talking about the digital video on the back which UperGrafx taps into. The pinout was created for the original PC Engine which only had one VDC so the digital video from that one VDC is routed to the back... along with a million other things like data bus, analog audio, composite video, RGBS, etc.

When they added a second VDC to the SGX they also added a chip to combine the digital output from both of them before sending that digital output to the VCE (color encoder + DAC). All analog video comes from the VCE. It would have made sense for them to route this combined digital video to the same pins on the EXT port that were once connected to the digital out of the only VDC. Instead, they left them connected to the digital video output of only the first of two VDCs.

Presumably they had planned to make the second VDC a plug and play add-on that would interface with those digital pins and have its own chips for combining them and outputting analog. A plug and play upgrade to play SGX games wouldn't work now because of the way the SGX handles video RAM, which is likely why they never utilized digital video from the EXT connector. Since it's the same digital video that goes into the VCE (color encoder + DAC), the UperGrafx replicates all of the internal functions of the VCE except for the DAC part then puts the resulting digital video through a DVI/HDMI transmitter.

I actually don't have that one yet. I've been meaning to find it since technically it is required for a SuperGrafx collection, but since it runs on a regular PC Engine and thus isn't a SuperGrafx exclusive, it's pretty low priority for me right now. I don't know if I've seen any recently. Saw 2 copies of Darius Alpha the other day, though.

Yeah. I'd say "PC-SG" is not the same format as SuperGrafx. The only benefit on an SGX is less flicker when you have too many sprites per line and, honestly, that's not really a problem the base PC Engine hardware has... hence the abundance of crazy shooters with stuff flying everywhere! Though it wasn't nearly as sprite-heavy as Neo Geo, the PC Engine was a sprite-monster for it's time. There was performance to spare as far as that was concerned. Getting Darius to flicker noticably required you to find a problematic spot near a giant boss or something and spam the most sprite-heavy load you could muster.

33 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Yeah. I'd say "PC-SG" is not the same format as SuperGrafx. The only benefit on an SGX is less flicker when you have too many sprites per line and, honestly, that's not really a problem the base PC Engine hardware has... hence the abundance of crazy shooters with stuff flying everywhere! Though it wasn't nearly as sprite-heavy as Neo Geo, the PC Engine was a sprite-monster for it's time. There was performance to spare as far as that was concerned. Getting Darius to flicker noticably required you to find a problematic spot near a giant boss or something and spam the most sprite-heavy load you could muster.

Yeah, the PC Engine throws a crapload of sprites around on screen, and honestly the best example of this is probably 1941 Counter Attack. There's SOOOOOO MUCH STUFF ON SCREEN and I've never noticed much slowdown or sprite flicker, if it even has any. Is this the power of the SuperGrafx? Does it perhaps use the same Blast Processing that is in the Genesis? Who knows...?

But seriously, yeah, the PC Engine really impressed me with what it can do, especially if you consider its 1987 release date. I can't imagine what the reaction in Japan was when it released. It does need a little help for some games (Arcade Card), but the PC Engine is awesome.

As for Darius Plus, yeah, the thing that really kills it for me is that Super Darius exists. I don't really see much point of playing Plus, even on the SuperGrafx, when I can play Super instead and get the awesome arcade music. I'll take some very minor sprite flicker to get that music! I guess if you can't play CD games, then Plus is fine, but otherwise...

Yeah, the PC Engine throws a crapload of sprites around on screen, and honestly the best example of this is probably 1941 Counter Attack. There's SOOOOOO MUCH STUFF ON SCREEN and I've never noticed much slowdown or sprite flicker, if it even has any. Is this the power of the SuperGrafx? Does it perhaps use the same Blast Processing that is in the Genesis? Who knows...?

But seriously, yeah, the PC Engine really impressed me with what it can do, especially if you consider its 1987 release date. I can't imagine what the reaction in Japan was when it released. It does need a little help for some games (Arcade Card), but the PC Engine is awesome.

As for Darius Plus, yeah, the thing that really kills it for me is that Super Darius exists. I don't really see much point of playing Plus, even on the SuperGrafx, when I can play Super instead and get the awesome arcade music. I'll take sprite flicker to get that music!

The best use of Genesis Blast Processing was Jon Burton using it for streaming sample-based audio through the PCM channel on a platform that wasn't supposed to be able to do it. ;) Just look at the reaction from this Genesis audio enthusiast before he knew the trick:

(Last one)

The trick explained:

To answer your question, about sprites and 1941 Counter Attack: One disadvantage the PC Engine had versus SFC/SNES AND MD/Genesis was that it only has one layer of background scrolling. The second VDC of the SuperGrafx was meant to help by literally doubling the number of background layers. This also doubled the number of sprites the PC Engine could handle, so they took a particular strength of the PC Engine and made it even more disproportionately strong! The other improvement was even more video RAM, which was boosted even for a single VDC (both have their own RAM).

Speaking of RAM, that's really all the Super System Card and Arcade Card add to the base hardware from a performance perspective. Since the only thing limiting RAM when the CD system first launched was cost, it was technically capable of Arcade Card-quality graphics and gameplay when it launched in 1987. Of course, no one was going to put all that RAM and ROM into a HuCard, so we just had to wait for economies of scale to bring prices down.

So every time you see Sapphire on an Arcade Card, you really are seeing what the base hardware was capable of in 1987 if they were willing to throw that much RAM onto a HuCard just a bit sooner. :)

2 hours ago, CZroe said:

The best use of Genesis Blast Processing was Jon Burton using it for streaming sample-based audio through the PCM channel on a platform that wasn't supposed to be able to do it. ;) Just look at the reaction from this Genesis audio enthusiast before he knew the trick:

(Last one)

The trick explained:

To answer your question, about sprites and 1941 Counter Attack: One disadvantage the PC Engine had versus SFC/SNES AND MD/Genesis was that it only has one layer of background scrolling. The second VDC of the SuperGrafx was meant to help by literally doubling the number of background layers. This also doubled the number of sprites the PC Engine could handle, so they took a particular strength of the PC Engine and made it even more disproportionately strong! The other improvement was even more video RAM, which was boosted even for a single VDC (both have their own RAM).

Speaking of RAM, that's really all the Super System Card and Arcade Card add to the base hardware from a performance perspective. Since the only thing limiting RAM when the CD system first launched was cost, it was technically capable of Arcade Card-quality graphics and gameplay when it launched in 1987. Of course, no one was going to put all that RAM and ROM into a HuCard, so we just had to wait for economies of scale to bring prices down.

So every time you see Sapphire on an Arcade Card, you really are seeing what the base hardware was capable of in 1987 if they were willing to throw that much RAM onto a HuCard just a bit sooner. :)

I love GameHut! I think one of the first things I did when I got the Mega Sg was to run his Blast Processing demo on it, along with John Linneman's Blast Processing demo. It's really great to see all of those colors on screen at once!

Anyway, yeah, I'm familiar with the SuperGrafx and how it adds the second layer using the second VDC, but I've never really looked into the specifics that much. In the case of 1941 Counter Attack (or anything else on the SuperGrafx, for that matter), I wonder if they could have made the enemies the background layer like how Castlevania IV has that one boss that is actually the background layer so they could Mode 7 it. Aldynes uses the extra VDC for some really nice overlapping parallax in a few places, though. I really do think that the SuperGrafx in particular is perhaps the most well-balanced of the non-arcade systems and computers of that era. Obviously home consoles can't compare to things like the X68000, Neo Geo, FM Towns, etc., but the SuperGrafx is quite impressive for what it is. It is definitely a system that I'd like to see more tech demos and games for, at least, since it has quite a bit of potential.

But yeah, the extra RAM in the Arcade and Super System Cards really shows what the PC Engine is capable of. That, combined with the storage capacity of the CD games, really makes the PC Engine an extremely impressive little (and the original design IS little) console.

Well I am a master of destroying expensive video game gear :P I have destroyed 2 sharp twin famicoms when trying to install nesrgb (desoldering the ppu is shit). I have destroyed OSSC when trying to add audio mod (solder kept spreading between all the pins and I couldn't get it to "evenly" spread so they weren't connecting). 

I'm pretty sure the cause is me using the wrong tools for everyhing. I didn't have a desoldering gun when I tried to install NESRGB.

I didn't use flux when trying to install ossc audio mod.

For the SuperGrafX mod I didn't use proper wires, I just took what I had and they were way too thick :( I have bought another SuperGrafX now, and this time I'll let a guy do the installation. He's going to be pissed with me. I'll also send him the one I broke to see if he can revive it somehow (doubtful). He's gonna install the PS1digital for me aswell.

Someday maybe I'll learn to stay away from soldering or use the right stuff :)

But this new PcE by Analogue is going to be amazing! I am already very happy with the Analogue NT Mini and am looking forwards to the NT Mini Noir. Sold my old NT Mini.

Well I am a master of destroying expensive video game gear [emoji14] I have destroyed 2 sharp twin famicoms when trying to install nesrgb (desoldering the ppu is shit). I have destroyed OSSC when trying to add audio mod (solder kept spreading between all the pins and I couldn't get it to "evenly" spread so they weren't connecting). 

I'm pretty sure the cause is me using the wrong tools for everyhing. I didn't have a desoldering gun when I tried to install NESRGB.

I didn't use flux when trying to install ossc audio mod.

For the SuperGrafX mod I didn't use proper wires, I just took what I had and they were way too thick [emoji20] I have bought another SuperGrafX now, and this time I'll let a guy do the installation. He's going to be pissed with me. I'll also send him the one I broke to see if he can revive it somehow (doubtful). He's gonna install the PS1digital for me aswell.

Someday maybe I'll learn to stay away from soldering or use the right stuff [emoji4]

But this new PcE by Analogue is going to be amazing! I am already very happy with the Analogue NT Mini and am looking forwards to the NT Mini Noir. Sold my old NT Mini.

PS1Digital is a real hairy install! Dan instructs people not to drag solder and, well, things were going so well I couldn't resist. Ended up with a bridge between two legs that I could not clear because one leg had moved/bent. Normally you can't just flow and move the pin back because the notches in the flex PCB or the pads themselves will snag and block it and delaminate from the board (seen this on failed UltraHDMI installs a lot). Thankfully, I used a razor blade while flowing the two pins that were bridged and the bent one somehow snapped right into place. That pretty much NEVER works for anything else and I doubt it would work if I had to try again so I will count my blessings and not tempt fate again!

My 1.5 OSSC with DVI came with Borti's audio board pre-installed so I didn't get the experience of installing it but, yeah, you pretty much can't get solder to spread and bead up on pins unless you use flux. Without flux changing the surface viscosity it will just make huge bridges across multiple pins.

I used a bulb desoldering iron on my first Hi-Def NES. Broke a pin but patched it and it worked! I then got a cheap desoldering station but it sucked so bad it ended up ruining pads and lifting traces on the next three of them I did. Luckily I was able to repair each. Now I know exactly what pins are connected to thick traces on both sides so I increase the temps and make absolutely sure those are flowing top and bottom when I hold the board upside-down and pull the trigger. That seems to be the key for my crappy desoldering station. atariage_icon_smile.gif

I'm relatively sure your twinFAMIs can be repaired. I've had to patch up several Hi-Def NES installs and it should be relatively easy to figure out where each connection is supposed to go then restore the connections.

So, yeah, it's not all flux and technique. If an iron doesn't have the ability to quickly read temp drops and recover when you touch it to a thermal mass then it will make a mess out of any delicate soldering like OSSC, UltraHDMI, DCDigital, etc... and it will have even more trouble with desolder braid. Adding a higher mass tip and increasing the temperature to compensate may help but it also may end up ruining things.

My main iron is a Hakko clone that uses the old tips that fit over a heating element as opposed to the cartridge style tips that everyone is using today with the heating elements built in to every tip. I have another iron from the same manufacturer that fits a different station with a different connector but it is otherwise identical. I realized pretty soon after getting it that it simply wasn't capable of doing the same work as my other iron despite being identical and that was purely because of the electronics in the base station. Slow temperature response, slow thermal recovery, lower wattage, etc... even if I can pick the same temps and have it reach them.

The KSGER iron that Voultar recommends seems like a great deal. Doesn't have any of these issues with thermal monitoring and recovery. I will get one myself when I can make room on my desk. Other affordable cartridge-type irons that enthusiasts love: the open-source TS80 and TS100. You can't go wrong with any of those three!

If the damage on your SGX is to the VCE and none of the pads are lifted then your old SGX can almost certainly be revived with a transplant from a junk PC Engine. I may even have one but I have to make sure that isn't what is causing my issue with a particular TurboGrafx-16... that means transplanting more chips. If your guy has a hot air station there's a good chance he can do this. If the damage was to the muxing chip then the best bet is to remove the chip, straighten legs, and reinstall like I did with the SNES 1chip and N64 RCP repairs.

Did you happen to take any pics before sending it off? With wires that are too thick and cause bridging you can usually just reflow to remove them then add flux and drag solder to get the excess to one side. You then clean your iron, reflow the bridge, clean, flow, clean flow, until you have removed most of the solder. The flux will usually have burned away or become inactive during all that so you would need to add more flux and flow again to get rid of the last bridges. You can go from an impossible-looking pool of solder between every leg that doesn't want to move to a perfectly soldered chip using this technique but it takes practice with the right tip/temperature.

Good luck! I should probably wait to see how it goes for your guy but maybe I should go ahead and attempt it so that I can share my experience with him. I probably won't have the time soon anyway. atariage_icon_sad.gif

Say what? Seriously? Why would they do that? Does that mean the various "AV booster" that connect to the back don't really work on SGX? 

https://nicole.express/2020/super-ultra-mega-tera-grafx.html

seems to be using the output from the ext port so is she seeing things?

[never tried to move the compat switch to see if the gfx looks different]

I don't know how your post quote got left out of post 2508 but, yeah, that post was responding to you regarding SGX output over the EXT port. Figured I should quote you now I'm case you missed it. Sorry! :)

15 hours ago, CZroe said:

I tried out the new UperGrafx update and spent some time with Startling Odyssey II to check out the difference. The difference is obvious on my TV which doesn't even support full range RGB but the resulting screengrabs over USB (UGX function) do not show nearly the same improvement when viewed on my PC. The before and after shots are clearly different but it just seems slightly brighter.

The internal screen shot grabber is not using the alt YUV palette, so you're not seeing the difference as on your TV.

• Like 1

good news... seems I hadn't killed my super grafx.. i did however move two pins on the chip. the problem all along was the rgb-cable which wasn't entirely plugged in at the other end... sloppy of me :P

other news is I bought a 16x1 alibaba hdmi switch 4:4:4 4k rgb hdr. Works great with PS4 Pro and all other gear. N64 hdmi, ossc, retrotink2x, gba consolizer, super nt, etc. will make short video on this soonish.

Will attempt to solder back the pins of the ext port...

Edited by Elrinth
  • Like 1

good news... seems I hadn't killed my super grafx.. i did however move two pins on the chip. the problem all along was the rgb-cable which wasn't entirely plugged in at the other end... sloppy of me [emoji14]
other news is I bought a 16x1 alibaba hdmi switch 4:4:4 4k rgb hdr. Works great with PS4 Pro and all other gear. N64 hdmi, ossc, retrotink2x, gba consolizer, super nt, etc. will make short video on this soonish.

Will attempt to solder back the pins of the ext port...
That's great news! I would've assumed the same thing given the white screen. Such a relief, I'm sure.

6 hours ago, CZroe said:

Looks like Analogue updated their info to correct the issues we identified in this thread

Good news! There are still at least two things that people are wondering about:
- Since there are two USB ports for controllers, I assume you can connect 5 controllers without using an original multitap, which means it's already emulated by the hardware. But it would be nice to get confirmation of this.
- If Street Fighter II's HuCard fits in the slot!

What on earth is that? HDTV? Wat?!

Why, a pre-release early prototype of an Analogue Duo, of course. atariage_icon_wink.gif 

J/K. It's just a Silicondust HD Homerun Prime dual HDTV tuner with DLNA. You could watch TV on your Playstation 3 or use Windows Media Center as a TiVo-style DVR with this. Mine was struck by lightning several years ago. atariage_icon_sad.gif 

Just thought it looked too much like a prototype Analogue Duo and had to make a vague post about it... a bit like all the people taping paper to their routers to look like a PS5:

9b691cba0a6c49c6b275ce29aee0b90f.jpg

The card slot on the back of the HDHR Prime is for CableCARD. atariage_icon_wink.gif

• Haha 1

Good news! There are still at least two things that people are wondering about:
- Since there are two USB ports for controllers, I assume you can connect 5 controllers without using an original multitap, which means it's already emulated by the hardware. But it would be nice to get confirmation of this.
- If Street Fighter II's HuCard fits in the slot!

According to the diagram there is definitely an area carved out to make room for a thicker "domed" HuCard. The FAQ says that you will have to take off the clear cover from most Turbo Everdrives but they definitely expect Strrt Fighter II' and Populous to fit. I don't know if they know this, but the Arcade Card Pro is slightly thicker than Street Fighter II', Populous, Super System Card, and Ten No Koe Bank, so I wonder if it can fit the the Arcade Card Pro. I recall hearing that it was too tight for the LaserActive CLD-100 and could get stuck in the NEC PAC-N1 adapter. It only needs an Arcade Card Duo, so it's no big deal, but if the Analogue Duo requires you to Bring Your Own BIOS, then it could be a problem (only Arcade Card Pro has a BIOS).

12 hours ago, CZroe said:

Looks like Analogue updated their info to correct the issues we identified in this thread:

aaa716bdb8bb5b0563a015446cb5b3d3.jpg

It now correctly describes the controller port as PC Engine-style and has updated dimensions (extra 99mm wider).

lol good. Especially good that it is actually a PC Engine controller port and not a TurboGrafx one since PC Engine controllers are actually obtainable without having to buy Hypertrash.

Also good that they fixed the size. Obviously if it was the size of the Mega Sg, you'd end up with something that's not big enough to fit everything, like this

Pic_1022_439.thumb.jpg.7e9500ed26f26dc100196c2d85cfe949.jpg

Tales of the Abyss obviously isn't a PC Engine game, but it works as an illustration.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CZroe said:

According to the diagram there is definitely an area carved out to make room for a thicker "domed" HuCard. The FAQ says that you will have to take off the clear cover from most Turbo Everdrives but they definitely expect Strrt Fighter II' and Populous to fit. I don't know if they know this, but the Arcade Card Pro is slightly thicker than Street Fighter II', Populous, Super System Card, and Ten No Koe Bank, so I wonder if it can fit the the Arcade Card Pro. I recall hearing that it was too tight for the LaserActive CLD-100 and could get stuck in the NEC PAC-N1 adapter. It only needs an Arcade Card Duo, so it's no big deal, but if the Analogue Duo requires you to Bring Your Own BIOS, then it could be a problem (only Arcade Card Pro has a BIOS).

I thought the Analogue Duo already featured every System Card... ?

• Like 1