IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

23 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I also got FX Unit Yuki, which is a lot of fun despite the absolutely brutal knockback. From Atlantean and Insanity to Hypernova Blast and Implode, to this and Mysterious Song, I don’t know why the homebrew scene doesn’t get more attention. Some really great stuff is available, although it seems like there’s not much in active development right now.

I bought this over a year ago I think from MegaCat Studios? Anyway, the game works and I like it, but the audio on the cutscenes cuts out after a few seconds on my TurboDUO. However, when I ripped my copy of the game to a CDR, that plays it without issue? I think the issue is that some of these have a bad pressing or they overburned standard 650MB CDs and the audio that is messed up is the very last two tracks on the disc. The fact I used a larger capacity CDR when I burnt my copy and that works leads me to this thought. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 7:50 AM, GoldenWheels said:

Have to agree with what you said on shipping....mine came in a tiny bubble mailer, with the huey wrapped in....a f'in piece of copy paper. I am honestly surprised the thing made it from Germany in one piece. Would like to get more albums like this though.

This is how mine arrived. Notice how opened up the end is? I actually didn't even have to open it more. The two HuCards fit through it when I pulled them through. Mine were in little plastic slip covers with the small white papers you see marking which version was which and taped together. They weren't wrapped with any paper and were just taped together in this small semi padded envelope. Remute actually reached out to me via PM and offered me replacement stickers if I want them but I told him it was fine and shipping mishaps aren't really his fault. He stated he had to ship this way to keep the shipping amounts reasonable for international outside of Europe.

I also agree that some of the tracks are really cool on this album but I feel his Genesis and SNES releases prior to this one are better or at least more my style.

Remute_pkg1.thumb.jpg.b398c0b42fff9860b4c398df83f75f13.jpg

Remute_pkg2.thumb.jpg.43dacc9b08d1c4d0f1dd919a07fc4743.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I also agree that some of the tracks are really cool on this album but I feel his Genesis and SNES releases prior to this one are better or at least more my style.

Yeah, from what I've heard from the album, he doesn't really do anything with the PCE sound. It sounds a little tinny/tinkery for the non sample usage parts (for this type of music, the PCE accels in doing filter type effects too). And for the samples, he didn't even maximize quality of the samples. Given his Genesis stuff, I expected a LOT more than this. I haven't heard/known about his SNES stuff though.

Edited by turboxray
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Yeah, from what I've heard from the album, he doesn't really do anything with the PCE sound. It sounds a little tinny/tinkery for the non sample usage parts (for this type of music, the PCE accels in doing filter type effects too). And for the samples, he didn't even maximize quality of the samples. Given his Genesis stuff, I expected a LOT more than this. I haven't heard/known about his SNES stuff though.

Remute wasn't known to me until his Genesis album was revealed to me. That came about on a thread at Sega-16 because I try and scoop up music album on carts like this. Anyway, that was where I first heard of him was the Genesis release. He followed it up with an SNES cart release and it is pretty good. Strangely that album has more tracks than the others and it was only available as a cart. There wasn't a digital release of the music for that one that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

Can I vent a bit here?  I really do not mean to insult anyone's fav game, but I feel the need to complain about a game I've been playing.

I've been plugging away at Ys Book I&II over the last, I dunno, two years?  I played and completed Book I very quickly (it's a very short game) and really enjoyed it, but Ys II has been quite a slog.  I just want to get to get the game over with at this point.  I'm in the Solomon Temple area and combat by this point is completely braindead as you have access to the fire spell and the homing item (yes, I know I could turn these off and just keep bumping enemies to make the game "harder").  All I am doing at this point is solving mazes to find mandatory items to get to the next set of mazes (don't get me wrong, I like solving mapping challenges like in Wizardry I-III&V, The Bard's Tale I-III, Might & Magic Book One, etc.).  I've stopped mapping by hand by this point and am just following a set of maps I've downloaded and the game is still a pain to navigate lol.

I really don't get what is appealing about this one.  Every enemy from the very beginning of Ys I to (I assume) the end of Ys II is just a bag of HPs stumbling around until they see you.  Enemies don't have unique strengths or resistances, they don't even have projectiles.  You don't have any interesting choices to make, like say one sword is generally stronger but slower or whatever.  There's no real sense of exploration because basically everything you find is a mandatory item to progress to the next area, so you either explore every corridor or download a map showing where everything you need is located.  It seems like a step down from even The Legend of Zelda, more akin to Hydlide than anything.  It some ways it feels even simpler than Hydlide, like a pure action game that just wastes your time with dead end upon dead end.  Like Contra but instead of shooting enemies you just run into them and every screen offers you five paths forward, where four of the paths are dead ends.

I get that voice acting and a CD soundtrack was probably mindblowing back in 1989/1990—does that explain this game's following?

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

By the way, I recently purchased 4 games and another one coming. I got a lot of money recently and wanted to buy HuCard games (for my future Analogue Pocket) because I almost only purchased CD-ROM² games for the past few years. I got Street Fighter II, Son Son 2, and Yôkai Dôchûki. I wanted a Doraemon game because it was cheap but the seller called me to warn me it was in fact not available, so I picked the Human Sports Festival compilation on CD-ROM² instead (same price) - that way I finally own Final Match Tennis (Ladies).

More recently, I watched a video about the weird Batman game from Sunsoft and I looked at eBay and prices were crazy. ?‍♂️ The problem is most of the games I'm looking for (Bloody Wolf, Hana Taka Daka, Legend of Hero Tonma, etc.) are all in the $100-200 range of course. ?

But after I looked for the Batman game (but before the others), I looked for the Jackie Chan game and I was pleasantly surprised; most offers were in the $70-$100 range. I picked one at $78 which was not the lowest price, but shipping was included (albeit slow) so it was actually. And even lower in Euros. ? It probably won't ship until next week, but I feel very lucky, because it looks OK in pictures.

• Like 3

The Batman game is surprisingly fun (and it has a pleasant remix of the first stage theme from the NES Batman game), but I would definitely not want to spend very much on it.  I think it could probably be mastered over a weekend, and I couldn't see it having much replay value as it's a simple arcade game at heart with very simple rules.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I picked one at $78 which was not the lowest price, but shipping was included (albeit slow) so it was actually. And even lower in Euros. ? It probably won't ship until next week, but I feel very lucky, because it looks OK in pictures.

I have had nothing but great experiences ordering PC Engine games from Japanese sellers who break the implicit eBay price fixing agreements that so many game sales seem to participate in, either with free shipping or with sharp discounts and multi-item shipping for the same price. Usually I pay 60-70% of the prevailing listed price. I’ve not been able to get Liquid Kids using this approach yet. That’s about the last HuCARD game I really want a physical copy of. (I mean, within the realm of reasonable expense.)

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 7:46 AM, roots.genoa said:

By the way, I recently purchased 4 games and another one coming. I got a lot of money recently and wanted to buy HuCard games (for my future Analogue Pocket) because I almost only purchased CD-ROM² games for the past few years. I got Street Fighter II, Son Son 2, and Yôkai Dôchûki. I wanted a Doraemon game because it was cheap but the seller called me to warn me it was in fact not available, so I picked the Human Sports Festival compilation on CD-ROM² instead (same price) - that way I finally own Final Match Tennis (Ladies).

I saw this as a single once...then realized turbobs fan favorite bootlegger had simply ripped it from the compilation and put it out as a single disc. WTF.

It is amazing to me people pay what they do for those damn bootlegs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I saw this as a single once...then realized turbobs fan favorite bootlegger had simply ripped it from the compilation and put it out as a single disc. WTF.

It is amazing to me people pay what they do for those damn bootlegs.

The bootlegs as single discs are offered with orders, nobody pays for them. To me it's amazing people pay more than a hundred dollars for an original game when they can buy a bootleg for way cheaper, but I admit I'm not a collector and buy games to play, so I don't really care if they're original or not.

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

You can just download games if you don’t care about having the real thing, though.

Yes, but I want to play on a real console though, and burned CDs tend to damage the CD-ROM² drive.

Also, and I'm aware it will sound like a contradiction, but I only buy CIB games. I never buy loose HuCards for instance, I like manuals and stuff. I just don't care for the authenticity. My only problem with this bootlegger is when he uses fanmade translations (like for the aforementioned Final Match Tennis Ladies) without authorization, even it's a freebie.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

For those who might have been interested earlier: Stone Age Gamer has secured a few of the Remute PCE/TG-16 HuCard album. They actually provide a case etc for it so it is an overall nicer package as compared to those ordered directly from Remute last year.

https://stoneagegamer.com/remute-electronic-lifestyle-pcengine-tg16-audio-music-album-hucard.html

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To me it's amazing people pay more than a hundred dollars for an original game when they can buy a bootleg for way cheaper, but I admit I'm not a collector and buy games to play, so I don't really care if they're original or not.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, but I want to play on a real console though, and burned CDs tend to damage the CD-ROM² drive.

This is why ODEs are a godsend.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

The bootlegs as single discs are offered with orders, nobody pays for them. To me it's amazing people pay more than a hundred dollars for an original game when they can buy a bootleg for way cheaper, but I admit I'm not a collector and buy games to play, so I don't really care if they're original or not.

So you understand about wanting to play on the original hardware, with a physical game, but fail to understand that some people are willing to pay over a hundred dollars for a game? Especially in the world of PCE, that's strife with contradiction haha. You've got basically three tiers; original, bootleg, and finally roms. Using your logic - I can easily say why even pay for a bootleg when you can use roms/images. I can totally understand how someone would want a physical game to insert/remove, just as much as I can understand how someone would want the original. It's all about that wholistic retro gaming experience, and for some.. imitation is not enough.  It's kinda silly to judge be amazed how other gamers spend their money haha.

• Confused 1

To me the godsend will be the Analogue Duo that plays both original games and bootlegs, and maybe ROMs/images as well. And it will cost less that what I paid for the Super CD-ROM².

3 hours ago, turboxray said:

It's kinda silly to judge be amazed how other gamers spend their money haha.

I was just mirroring "It is amazing to me people pay what they do for those damn bootlegs", since bootlegs are a lot cheaper. If people can afford paying $200 for a game, good for them. I can't.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, roots.genoa said:

OH it's only the bootleg sets people pay for. Not a single game ripped from a 3 pack game that goes for all of $8. That's good at least.

(His other overpriced garbage is just as bad.)

My laser has been adjusted once in maybe 8 years....it has seen more than it's fair share of burned discs. FREE bootlegs!

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To me the godsend will be the Analogue Duo that plays both original games and bootlegs, and maybe ROMs/images as well. And it will cost less that what I paid for the Super CD-ROM².

I was just mirroring "It is amazing to me people pay what they do for those damn bootlegs", since bootlegs are a lot cheaper. If people can afford paying $200 for a game, good for them. I can't.

But then you won't be playing on real hardware.

4 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

My laser has been adjusted once in maybe 8 years....it has seen more than it's fair share of burned discs. FREE bootlegs!

I don't know if it really damages the laser, but I can hear the difference in the loading between a pressed and a burned disc. And for some reason, after I've used a burned disc, the drive seems to have more trouble than usual reading original games. Anyway, like I said, I like having a nice box and manual. Overpriced is clearly subjective.

Also, to be precise, single games are available too, but in box. The single games in sleeves are freebies.

And apparently the PC Engine community is toxic all around the world. ?

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

PCE community is definitely toxic, not on the sheer arrogant and rudeness of the neo-geo one, but it's a good second place.  I do get some of it, it was niche until 10 years back, was the first to get exploited for profit after the NES and never recovered or receded.  Worse, when people retreated from TG to PCE the scum jumped ship in just the last few years and made those painful and ugly to get now too, so it's a global clusterfuck basically.  Angry people who don't want to investors, investors wanting to screw newbs.  So you have a community pushing back with hard core dickery, which you can't blame them for hoping to turn people away, and while to a point did work somewhat, it wasn't enough and well you can see the prices.  Bad 10 years ago, ugly now where the loose HuCards are as much as complete ones just 3 years ago and going up (and this is me speaking before the stupid surges due to the virus last year.  I'd honestly hate to even look now, so I don't even have a saved search on ebay anymore.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

If not liking Tobias or his...wares...makes you toxic, well I guess I'm practically a Lloyd Kaufman movie. Oh well.

People are always free to spend their dollary-doos however they want. For playing expensive disc bases games, if I really have to, I'll burn it.

Are you also one of those people that doesn't care that he took my early Megaman PC-Engine CD build and sold it as a "repo" without my permission? Or that he tried to pass off Sapphire repos as real/official 2nd run prints? 

Edited by turboxray