IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

39 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

If not liking Tobias or his...wares...makes you toxic, well I guess I'm practically a Lloyd Kaufman movie. Oh well.

People are always free to spend their dollary-doos however they want. For playing expensive disc bases games, if I really have to, I'll burn it.

Burnt discs is how I play my CD games... being that my favorite genre is shoot em up I can't afford real copies. Not when they go for $300-400.

1 hour ago, turboxray said:

Are you also one of those people that doesn't care that he took my early Megaman PC-Engine CD build and sold it as a "repo" without my permission? Or that he tried to pass off Sapphire repos as real/official 2nd run prints? 

turbox....I am the one here who DOESN'T like Tobias. He has never gotten dollar one from me. I guess I said it oddly with the "Toxic Avenger" remark (if you don't know that movie), but I don't like Tobias, at all. My criticism of his boots seemed to be being called "toxic" or judgey somehow. So I basically, said, yeah, I'm toxic for not liking Tobias. I am pretty aware of his shady BS, including Sapphire, and stealing translations etc. I didn't know that about the MM disc but it certainly doesn't surprise me. I don't think anyone should give him any money. But it wasn't being heard here, people want to buy want they want to buy, so I simply said my peace and left it.

When I speak of playing burned games personally, I mean the expensive catalog rarities. Literally the only Tobias BS I have in my collection is stuffed he created, got called on, and then others gave out for free on another forum--something I think he did to put off bad PR for being shady in the first place.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, GoldenWheels said:

turbox....I am the one here who DOESN'T like Tobias. He has never gotten dollar one from me. I guess I said it oddly with the "Toxic Avenger" remark (if you don't know that movie), but I don't like Tobias, at all. My criticism of his boots seemed to be being called "toxic" or judgey somehow. So I basically, said, yeah, I'm toxic for not liking Tobias. I am pretty aware of his shady BS, including Sapphire, and stealing translations etc. I didn't know that about the MM disc but it certainly doesn't surprise me. I don't think anyone should give him any money. But it wasn't being heard here, people want to buy want they want to buy, so I simply said my peace and left it.

When I speak of playing burned games personally, I mean the expensive catalog rarities. Literally the only Tobias BS I have in my collection is stuffed he created, got called on, and then others gave out for free on another forum--something I think he did to put off bad PR for being shady in the first place.

Tobias provides a service people like for a price that's good, so that's why they turn a blind eye to his shitty behaviors. I'm right there with you on Tobias stuff. All that I have (like 3 things) were given away. I only paid for shipping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one of his releases that I got second hand. (The Dynastic Hero reproduction.) It was really sad to get back into playing Turbografx and realize that what had been a pretty impressive community as far as I could tell was essentially nuked by all of the bad blood around his wares, the stolen translations and all that. I was not there and I don’t know all that happened, but it sure seems clear to me that he is not one of the good guys.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I have one of his releases that I got second hand. (The Dynastic Hero reproduction.) It was really sad to get back into playing Turbografx and realize that what had been a pretty impressive community as far as I could tell was essentially nuked by all of the bad blood around his wares, the stolen translations and all that. I was not there and I don’t know all that happened, but it sure seems clear to me that he is not one of the good guys.

The community fractured, but the original forum was cloned, and there is at least one other where a bunch of exiles hang out. The TG community is still alive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I believe I have ordered from that exact same seller. While polite notes from Japan are not totally unusual in my ebay stuff from Japan, I had a guy send me origami several times with PC-E gear.

I've gotten a few origami with my PC-E, Famicom, and SFC games.l I've imported.

• Like 3

I always feel bad just throwing them out, then after a few months there is a pile of them and I go oh hell chuck the damn things!

Total aside...I saw the Devil's Crush/Alien Crush/Super Star Soldier soundtrack is out on vinyl thanks to Chris Bucci's latest Trubo-Views re-run. HAD to go order that. Not vintage to the TG era, but not brand new either, I think, and I had never seen it before. Haven't fired up the ol' Victrola in a while...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I always feel bad just throwing them out, then after a few months there is a pile of them and I go oh hell chuck the damn things!

Total aside...I saw the Devil's Crush/Alien Crush/Super Star Soldier soundtrack is out on vinyl thanks to Chris Bucci's latest Trubo-Views re-run. HAD to go order that. Not vintage to the TG era, but not brand new either, I think, and I had never seen it before. Haven't fired up the ol' Victrola in a while...

Super Star Soldier on vinyl? I'd rather get Soldier Blade. ?

Or Star Parodia... 

oh yes please

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Link? This is relevant to my interests.

Edit: Here you go! https://enjoytheriderecords.com/products/devils-crush-alien-crush-soundtracks-etr107

• Thanks 1

I feel like it's been quite some time since I stopped by. Have I missed anything? I'm too lazy to go back through all of the pages since my last post.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, roots.genoa said:

Just got it! I haven't tested it yet but the card and origami are an adorable touch! ?

20210414_112245.jpg

Yeah, not totally uncommon. I got origami at a hotel once, actually. I also got some when I bought a controller from a 3rd party seller on Amazon a few years ago. I've never really thought about it that much.

Still looking for Dracula X? I saw one for 11000 yen not long ago. Forgot what store it was in, though...

• Like 1

I think I've got (almost) every CD-ROM² I wanted, but there are still some HuCard games I'd like to get. Unfortunately, games like Legend of Hero Tonma, Hana Taka Daka, Bloody Wolf, and Batman seem difficult to find for less than $100, and I really don't want to pay more than that (I'd rather not pay more than $80 actually). The guy that sold me the Jackie Chan game (he still has a few, but they're slightly more expensive that what I paid it seems) also has a NewZealand Story and a Parodius that are affordable (but still quite expensive).

Unfortunately, my Yokai Dochuki (that was quite cheap however) doesn't work at all, even though it looks clean and I tried multiple times. But it seems I should change the capacitors of my CoreGrafx since the sound is becoming quite bad (but maybe it's my old CRT). Not sure it will fix Yokai Dochuki though. It really looks like the HuCard was erased or something. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I think I've got (almost) every CD-ROM² I wanted, but there are still some HuCard games I'd like to get. Unfortunately, games like Legend of Hero Tonma, Hana Taka Daka, Bloody Wolf, and Batman seem difficult to find for less than $100, and I really don't want to pay more than that (I'd rather not pay more than $80 actually). The guy that sold me the Jackie Chan game (he still has a few, but they're slightly more expensive that what I paid it seems) also has a NewZealand Story and a Parodius that are affordable (but still quite expensive).

Unfortunately, my Yokai Dochuki (that was quite cheap however) doesn't work at all, even though it looks clean and I tried multiple times. But it seems I should change the capacitors of my CoreGrafx since the sound is becoming quite bad (but maybe it's my old CRT). Not sure it will fix Yokai Dochuki though. It really looks like the HuCard was erased or something. ?

The sound on my white PC Engine was quite bad too, but then I got a Duo RX which has such clean sound.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:29 AM, roots.genoa said:

Probably got electrostatically zapped. Several Lynx games I got for cheap are fried, and somebody sold me a TG16 Ballistix that booted to the title screen but wouldn’t start a game. Took me forever to get a refund on it. I wonder if there’s something about the slimline design that makes them more susceptible...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Probably got electrostatically zapped. Several Lynx games I got for cheap are fried, and somebody sold me a TG16 Ballistix that booted to the title screen but wouldn’t start a game. Took me forever to get a refund on it. I wonder if there’s something about the slimline design that makes them more susceptible...

Sometimes certain of my HuCards won't boot until I clean the pins with some isopropyl alcohol. The pins could just be dirty. 

• Like 1

I will... as soon as I get isopropyl alcohol. The pins didn't look dirty at all compared to my ArcadeCard whose pins look slightly damaged; it wouldn't work until I just cleaned it with a dry q-tip. I also heard people had great results with a simple eraser.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Hi. This is your periodic reminder that Hani on the Road (which sometimes appears on eBay as “Honey on the Lord”, which sounds wonderful) is a great game you should play.

"Honey on the Lord" sounds like if the Ohio Players did a gospel album! ?

• Haha 1