IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

1 minute ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah I don't have that kind of money or I might haven taken up the offer.

Yeah I know most wont, it's why I"m working a cash/trade mix potentially with someone.  They've got some heavies I refuse to pay for like Fire Emblem gamecube which is 250+ these days.  If I can net 500 cash plus a few ugly games I'm cool with it. :D

I'm pulling this down shortly as I'm cutting it from my ownership list, but this is what's there -- http://tanooki.great-site.net/pcengine.html

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I know most wont, it's why I"m working a cash/trade mix potentially with someone.  They've got some heavies I refuse to pay for like Fire Emblem gamecube which is 250+ these days.  If I can net 500 cash plus a few ugly games I'm cool with it. :D

I'm pulling this down shortly as I'm cutting it from my ownership list, but this is what's there -- http://tanooki.great-site.net/pcengine.html

Ah it seems I already have a quite a few of those HuCards already... though I've been looking at getting Gamola Speed.

• Like 1

Gomola Speed is awesome and was still relatively affordable last I checked. I picked up Spin Pair for $20 shipped. PC Engine games seem to have resisted inflation better than most systems. I cannot BELIEVE what Genesis Sonic games are going for these days, and they were some of the bestselling games of the 90s.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I've decided to tap out, more or less.I just can't motivate myself to bother with the PCE anymore, prices are utterly toxic as Japan got ruined by westerners. 

With Terraonion's stuff, and even the Turbo Everdrive around.. Unless you're talking about bowing out of "collecting" per-se, why get rid of the system? It's such a great time for nearly all the classic consoles today when you have modern flash carts and ODE's around, making entire gaming libraries available with one single item. :)

• Like 4

@NE146 Well I am pretty much over collecting.  All the bs going on, magnified in the last 18 months has been a true kiss of death put off to a lot of things.  Despite the fact out fortunes after so long have started to turn around, pissing money into a pot so toxic the proverbial thing could be burned off in proximity make it not appealing anymore.  So what I'm doing is changing gears, mostly.  PCE I can't get, at all, except online.  The prices even on Japanese stuff now for me is revolting, so I don't want anything to do with it.  And it's why I sold my Pokemon mini a couple hours ago too, it's gone already.  Also I've got the larger issue lack of time vs will/fun to play things.

So I want to kind of take a childs allowance approach if that makes sense.  How do kids get stuff?  They get a weekly allowance, or they do something to earn the money because other than that it's gifts (holidays, etc) and outside of trades, that's it.  This largely limits how much comes in, and being limited, gives limited choices of what to play making it far easier to play and find the time, as there's far less distraction.  With that, I intend to wait for deals mostly locally (likely half price books on the way to kid school pickup), and second to that other thrift or fb marketplace, online(or local) trades, and dead last ...buying online.  Before I started this last round of purge I sat around 550 physical games, this even includes my weird timetop game king, r-zone, one off handhelds too.  I have a hard low limit, stuff I grew up with or still have retained all this time.

So with the PCE setup I can get rid of err around 30 games and a system, and the distraction of the everdrive too.  The pokemon Mini removed another 4 games and itself.  I also pulled around a dozen other items so far, photo'd and will be ebay fodder (also going to list it on videogamesage.com sell area too.)  I will take cash preferred still, a nest egg, but strongly going to encourage trades or combo.  Right now I could get myself a dozen games and maybe 1/2 what I was asking in cash, and I'm happy with that if it works out.

@Gentlegamer Yeah I know, that was years ago (5+ easily) I remember.  It has been spinning around the $200-225 range for awhile, now some dumb dumbs are shoving it up to and tipping the $300 level which is sick.  I'm using dolphin too, good for lazy moments as well when a few minutes exist to spare. ;)  I think I may have some motivation to play a bit today (wow...err yay!) as I have a nomad on my desk with NHL94 in it and the 6pak on the shelf.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

I remember balking when it was around 100. These are the reasons I'm leaning toward liquidating my stuff and going back to emulation where possible.

I know I can at least play Fire Emblem on Dolphin.

I'm convinced it's just a small handful of "whales". Let them have the perishable goods, imo. Anyone who wants "bragging" rights for owning some plastic carts or a CD is already a sucker in my book. Might as well make a buck off them. Buy what you want, have a small curated collection of favorites, and who cares about the rest? That's why the gods invented emulation and flash carts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

I'm convinced it's just a small handful of "whales". Let them have the perishable goods, imo. Anyone who wants "bragging" rights for owning some plastic carts or a CD is already a sucker in my book. Might as well make a buck off them. Buy what you want, have a small curated collection of favorites, and who cares about the rest? That's why the gods invented emulation and flash carts.

I agree. What is the point in spending this ridiculous amount of money on these games? Suckers indeed. Oh by the way, are you still going to sell me that super rare game we talked about not too long ago?

• Haha 4

I guess I started with a decent TG16 and PCE collection before things got crazy. The few pricy things I’ve added to the collection this year, like Alice in Wonderdream and Circus Lido, I added because playing them courtesy of the SSDS3 gave me a lot of joy. And pain. But also joy.

I tell you what, though. I have held on to most of the games I’ve bought in my life. I went through a period about 10 years ago where I was selling things left and right, including many of my rarest GBA, PS2, Wii, etc games. The only reason I didn’t liquidate my Turbografx collection was that it was buried inconveniently in a storage unit. But boy am I glad I never got the energy to raid my storage.

I admit I am a restless soul who tends to jump wildly between games, but sometimes I want to play Solatorobo or Car Battler Joe or Metroid Prime Hunters on real hardware, and I regret selling them. I don’t really regret selling God Hand or… I’m sure I’ll think of another one I don’t regret eventually… but I am never going to be willing to pay what the games I sold are going for now.

• Like 2

Ugh yeah, lucky on the TG, but damnit did you have to remind me about Car Battler Joe, I had that, wanted Solatorobo and never got it even when I saw it being pushed off shelves for 1/2 off ($20) in the slip and all that as it looked fantastic but not 3 figures awesome it gets now.

The only remaining true actual game, not stupid piece of paper, loss would be Aerofighters for SNES.  Got that in the mid-later 90s for $10 with everything it had in the box, just not the box, now the game is asinine money on its own.  My only happy spot, it can be played free, and i own the superior sequels on MVS. :D  I long accepted I'll never own it again, not a loss, other than it was neat in the day on SNES having a shooter that was a random enemy generator as it never had the same pattern twice as it was uniquely designed to stay kind of fresh.

I'm not going to sell my PC Engine collection but I'll probably stop collecting for it, first because I recently bought shelves and the games already fill the whole width of it. ?

Also I think I've got almost all of the CD-ROM² games I wanted, and the HuCard games I'm still interested in are too expensive, like $200. The thing is, even though I collect mostly games for playing, I tend to prefer CIB, probably because I'm obsessive about tidiness and loose games (esp. HuCards) are difficult to store in a way you can identify games.

But my real problem now is the lack of time; I've got plenty games on Switch right now, recently got two Evercade carts and two other are coming this week, and I still want to beat a few games on my Astro City Mini. ?

I'm also starting to be lazy, and playing my PC Engine is not really convenient. Since I leave it unplugged I may need to get my saves back on the Tennokoe Bank first, and sometimes it doesn't work... Both my PCE and the Super CD-ROM² probably need a recap too. I'm probably delusional to think I would play more PCE games if I had the Analogue Duo, but at least I know I'll play more HuCard games on the Pocket; I clearly prefer handhelds because I'm often too lazy to switch the TV on - especially the old CRT my PCE is connected to.

• Like 2

Totally get what Tanooki is feeling right now. I've been really cautious about anything I get now given the madness of the market. Turbografx wise I have a very small library, 4 I think physical games and haven't yet looked for more. I use the romcart to play a lot of Japan exclusive games I'd need another adapter for if I bought physical. 

I'm biding my time though, I've got enough consoles that when one system goes through a money madness I can switch to another. I think even that will end one day but for now I'm still in the game of collecting/playing real copies. 

• Like 1

Well, I picked the last month to get my 7800 out of mothballs, and THAT is a system you can’t get into anymore. Some of the best games (Ikari Warriors, Midnight Mutants, Motor Psycho) are three figures even loose, and much of the best homebrew except the AtariAge-published stuff is long sold out. At least the homebrew scene on the TG16/PCE is going great guns and everything is still available.

• Sad 1

I'll have to go back to my receipts and see how bad I got bitten when it happened....I was never going to get into physical PC-E and then some guy, near xmas one year, was selling off PC-E games for 20-25 a piece, in custom cases, with the manuals. GOOD ones, ones you actually want to PLAY (the shooters, and lots of them really good ones). I could not resist. This was at least 5 or 6 years ago at least I think. I had been working on Turbo for a while but that got me down the PC-E rabbit hole.

What I like(d) about the PC-E is that, even though it is relatively "known", there is still some unknown/wild west to it, or known only to the more seasoned. There's foreign clones, outright bootlegs and bootleg systems, Japan only games, promo/contest games, jamma set ups, a play choice 10 style unit, "adult" games (AHEM), and lots of weird controllers/hardware etc. There's some games that came with weird gear, like a little leather book, etc. None of this stuff is as well known as any of the NES stuff that has 10 jillion newspaper articles on them (NWC carts, etc etc etc) and therefore, to me, there is still some "thrill of the hunt" to the PC-E stuff that makes collecting it....fun.

Nintendon't ain't got no Virtual Cushion!

• Like 2

I wasn't too much a TG16 fan but I brought it and the Duo and games with price cuts or on clearance all the time back in the 90's.

I have 80 games total across all two tg16, 2 duo, 1 broke but likely can be fixed.

Looking online looks like if I wanted to add to my collection that time should have been 10 years ago minimum.

On the flip slide my current collection is now overvalued and worth a decent penny.

• Like 1

At this rate I'm good, I got a couple potential bites for the system setup as what appears to be in the form of a cash+trade combination offer, which I'd be more than pleased by.  Ultimately though, I still own an old 90s license to Magic Engine, and I've kept the ROM dump since I can pop them in there or on a PCE Advance build for GBA so whatever.  And beyond that I'm actively going to take interest in looking for a Core Grafx Mini or at worst TG Mini(don't like the huge form/design of it, but same set as the CG.)  I'll just have to be super careful getting the ac adapter for it because every last one was built with a one and done hardware defect if you don't give it the precise voltage it wants, it blows out the usb ports, all of them making it a little plastic brick.  The game library on it has a decent chunk of what I own(ed) so it's not a loss, sure a few aren't there, but I have other means to do Dragon Egg, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

Ootake is the better stand alone emulator. I don't think ME has been updated in over a decade.

Probably hasn't, which is more strange by the fact the guy still maintains the site and sells it.  I paid for it like 25 years ago or near that by now, like the GUI, and it works great baring a weird glitch on a CD game or two which I don't own anyway so I'm good. :)  Like I said I want a mini, I'll pay up for it, to a fair amount, which I don't consider to be double retail or higher the ebay tryhards keep failing at enough still.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Probably hasn't, which is more strange by the fact the guy still maintains the site and sells it.  I paid for it like 25 years ago or near that by now, like the GUI, and it works great baring a weird glitch on a CD game or two which I don't own anyway so I'm good. :)  Like I said I want a mini, I'll pay up for it, to a fair amount, which I don't consider to be double retail or higher the ebay tryhards keep failing at enough still.

Here you go, from Amazon Japan for 8450 yen, which is less than its regular price of 10,500 yen + sales tax: https://www.amazon.co.jp/コナミデジタルエンタテインメント-PCエンジン-mini/dp/B07QHNRVYV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&crid=3KTQ4T9RPN2W3&dchild=1&keywords=pcエンジンミニ&qid=1629775066&sprefix=pcエンジン%2Caps%2C347&sr=8-1&th=1

You'll probably want a turbo controller, though, as it comes with one that does not have turbo. The official turbo controllers are ridiculously expensive now, but the 8BitDo 2.4GHz wireless ones are sold by Amazon USA for like $20~$25 each, depending on the color. Not sure how good those are, but it's an option.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Here you go, from Amazon Japan for 8450 yen, which is less than its regular price of 10,500 yen + sales tax: https://www.amazon.co.jp/コナミデジタルエンタテインメント-PCエンジン-mini/dp/B07QHNRVYV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&crid=3KTQ4T9RPN2W3&dchild=1&keywords=pcエンジンミニ&qid=1629775066&sprefix=pcエンジン%2Caps%2C347&sr=8-1&th=1

You'll probably want a turbo controller, though, as it comes with one that does not have turbo. The official turbo controllers are ridiculously expensive now, but the 8BitDo 2.4GHz wireless ones are sold by Amazon USA for like $20~$25 each, depending on the color. Not sure how good those are, but it's an option.

That's how I got my Turbografx Mini,  by ordering from Amazon Japan.  If you do order one Tanooki,  I think I have a spare power supply (USB Type) I could sell you for cheap because as I recall the "Official" ones cost the moon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

That's how I got my Turbografx Mini,  by ordering from Amazon Japan.  If you do order one Tanooki,  I think I have a spare power supply (USB Type) I could sell you for cheap because as I recall the "Official" ones cost the moon.

I just use the one that came with my Mega Sg for all of my mini consoles, as that seems to work perfectly. That's now been reappropriated to power the RetroTINK-5X Pro, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

the 8BitDo 2.4GHz wireless ones are sold by Amazon USA for like $20~$25 each, depending on the color. Not sure how good those are, but it's an option.

Very, very good. I didn’t notice them adding to the TV’s admittedly pretty atrocious lag, and they feel wonderful. Of course there is only a single speed turbo button, but it mostly seems to do okay.

5 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Very, very good. I didn’t notice them adding to the TV’s admittedly pretty atrocious lag, and they feel wonderful. Of course there is only a single speed turbo button, but it mostly seems to do okay.

Yeah, I have heard you can adjust the speed of the turbo somehow, but I'd still prefer a slider like on the real controllers.

• Like 1