IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

30 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Well mine was definitely complete too and minty since it was purchased retail. 'Course then, I immediately tore it all up and threw it away!! :lol: Ah memories.   

Regarding the difficulty.. it really gets to be a piece of shit in the later parts of the game. You just end up with big dragon sprite trying to dodge multiple bullets in limited maneuvering space and walls that hurt you. I don't think any mortal human would be able to complete it normally! Yes I'm just being melodramatic. ?

If you reset the game 57 times, it changes the aspect ratio to match the arcade version. That might help! Too bad doing that on the mini takes forever because Run + Select opens the menu instead of resetting the game instantly.

I'll just edit this in here because I can...

I am about to play Deep Blue. Hopefully I will retain my sanity. Not that I have any or I wouldn't have joined the USMC lol

Okay, I just played it. I will never play it again. I apologized to my SuperGrafx for making it run such terrible software.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Haha 2

I had a chance to try out the new SHDS3 Pro. First thing I noticed, was the analog RGB out was incredibly crisp and noise free. I was doing compares between my my SSDS3 and SHDS3 with my capture card, and wow the difference is amazing. Once switching over to "alt cd code" or whatever, had no problem with CD games. The physical reset button has some issues though - I've had it wipe out my palette file and saved BRAM files on the SD card. It was pretty consistent (I was doing captures of RGB and then same game with custom palette). So I stopped using it. The original firmware had PSG volume control, but the latest firmware removed this. I admit, I was pretty pissed because that's a "quality of life" feature for some CD games haha (turning down the PSG volume because of the PSG SFX). But the custom palette option is just awesome. The SuperGrafx support though? Impressive. Very impressive. People don't release what neodev is doing just to get SGX ram/VDC/VPC mapped onto the original PCE hardware. It does NOT map. You can't just simply add the SGX, the way it has the hardware mapped to PCE's address space, and have it work. Everything would be a bus conflict, including the ram. I mean, you could make an SGX upgrade for the PCE, but it wouldn't use ANY of the mapped addresses that the original SGX uses.. and you would have to patch roms to get it to play games. So how are they handling this? They're injecting opcode/operand replacement on the fly as the cpu tries to access these SGX regions, and redirects them to the real mapped regions. Not only is it complex, but it's really clever! The opcode/operand detection/replacement isn't a new concept - there were some embedded 6502 systems that did this on illegal opcodes to get co-processor like interface to the cpu, but it's a rare thing. Pretty cool to see that happening here. I had talked about doing this on the PCE about 4-5 years ago (how you could upgrade the processor with co-processor additional instructions). But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the unit. I don't really have a need for the HDMI output, but it's nice that it's there (and has it's own palette file). I plan to get the retrotink5x when it's back in stock to pair with this..

Ohh.. I wanted to mention that since there's a 2nd VDC core on the unit, they could in theory allow all video output from that instead of the original VDC.. and you would have the option of turning off sprite limit. I realize that would upset some purist, but having it as an option would be pretty great (and totally doable). The could do the same for audio.. giving you the option for a "rev A" chip for those that don't own an SGX (and a few CG1 models).

Edited by turboxray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Yeah ...

I wouldn't mind playing Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire but DAMN!  The CHEAPEST on eBay right now is $757.65!   (And I'd have to pay a little over $70 first to get the Arcade Card Duo)!

There are a LOT of forgeries out there, too. Somebody did a big run of very authentic looking fakes with the intention of fraud in the early 2000s, and they have been spreading ever since.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

With all of the variations of this stuff,  I almost hesitate to answer,   but let me try.  (Here goes nothing heh).

My guess is you mean the Arcade CD Rom Roms (Arcade CD-ROM²)  (Remember they call them that?),  which if memory serves, need the Arcade Card Pro to play in a Turbografx + CD unit.  I think they play in a Turbo Duo with a (PC Engine Hucard to Turbografx "TurboChip") adapter + Arcade Card Duo,...  or PC Engine DUO-R (Or RX) with an Arcade Card Duo.  Hope that helps.

As for value,  I'd check ebay...

Is there a cheap accessible way of getting that? Otherwise these are paper weights 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Triple post (I hate double and triple posting... sorry), but I saw this SuperGrafx just now and it made me feel very sad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363018504571

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. It's not worth anywhere near that amount.

Anyway, still checking ebay for French SuperGrafx stuff. I REALLY wish I'd been able to afford that French 1941 Counter Attack.

$2000 for 4 decent games.

At this rate my existing collection will be worth 200 grand in another year or two.

I think my collecting for NEC stuff may be coming to an end. The costs are too high for the remaining things I dont have. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

At this rate my existing collection will be worth 200 grand in another year or two.

I think my collecting for NEC stuff may be coming to an end. The costs are too high for the remaining things I dont have. 

$2000 for a system with 1 extremely excellent game, 1 great game, 1 good game, 1 kind of okay game, and 1 ultra boring game + the PC Engine library that works on a regular PC Engine (unless you have the Shuttle or the GT and can't play CD games. Sadness). Not exactly a great deal, but that's how this ebay human wants to rip people off. They're getting hard to find here, as well. I used to see stacks of CIB SuperGrafx consoles in stores. Not now. I wonder if BEEP and Trader have the ones they got in a while ago now. It's hot as hell, though, so I don't really feel like going to Akiba to find out.

I got a pcfx years ago just to have it in box. Now these days loose discolored is going for $250 sometimes without controller. The console should be no more than $75 with free game lol.

People want $100 for Battle Heat which is barely a game. May as well charge me $400 for Club Drive on Jaguar.

• Haha 1

Here's something extremely rare on ebay: a (broken) PC Engine DUO Monitor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363214364239?hash=item5491435e4f:g:zU0AAOSwkG1g78I8

I found one of these before and maybe it's the same one, but these are quite rare. I wonder how difficult it is to fix these, although it will of course depend on what is wrong with it.

Those monitors are fairly rare, but pop up at least a few times each year, sometimes working (but with a dead pixel etc).

Now the KD863G here, this thing is rare!

320px-PCKD863G.jpg

Also will say...there is a Haitai Vistar on eBay now. Only one I have seen for sale, ever. If it had the little piece of black plastic (and was thus complete) I'd have made an offer already.

On 8/24/2021 at 7:23 AM, Tanooki said:

The guy replied back, wants $135 shipped   That's for a new PCE mini, 8bitdo 2.4hz pce style pad, and the readyvolt adapter for power.

If ya don't get that one,  and still need a power supply (later),  I DO have a spare you could have dirt cheap (IDK $1 for my trouble?)...

12 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Those monitors are fairly rare, but pop up at least a few times each year, sometimes working (but with a dead pixel etc).

Now the KD863G here, this thing is rare!

320px-PCKD863G.jpg

Also will say...there is a Haitai Vistar on eBay now. Only one I have seen for sale, ever. If it had the little piece of black plastic (and was thus complete) I'd have made an offer already.

That monitor is Sweet!

Couldn't find the Vistar though!...Maybe he sold it locally and pulled the auction...

50 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

And you have +$50 shipping on top of that.

I noticed PCFX is having nonsense prices to. Likely TG16 scammers not realizing it's barely a successor and think there's more interest than there is.

$1299 though and no games? Ehhh.

20 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Here's something extremely rare on ebay: a (broken) PC Engine DUO Monitor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363214364239?hash=item5491435e4f:g:zU0AAOSwkG1g78I8

I found one of these before and maybe it's the same one, but these are quite rare. I wonder how difficult it is to fix these, although it will of course depend on what is wrong with it.

I Forgot that existed.

6 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

My Cross Wiber does not work. I will need a new one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284096157554?hash=item4225735772:g:SB8AAOSwmjxfwWuL

Over $110 after shipping. Welp.

Anyone know of places that sell the low tier games cheaper or should I just expect these prices across the board?

Maybe won't ship to you I know Leeroy but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333582378642?epid=1804114613&hash=item4dab0f2692:g:COQAAOSwT-Neob9j

Cross Wiber from what I can see is never UBER cheap, but I feel like it is one where if you put a watch on it on ebay, you'll find a decent deal eventually. It's not super well known, well loved, or a shooter. Bide your time IMO.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:36 PM, Leeroy ST said:

It's crazy. I'm a big proponent of owning  'the real thing', but with the PC Engine, I kinda did a hybrid solution. I bought a Japanese PC Engine DUO-R, modded with US/JP region switch and upgraded video outputs. And then, just bought a Krikz everdrive, loaded. I paid around $700 for all of that, and am glad that's the route I took. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

It's crazy. I'm a big proponent of owning  'the real thing', but with the PC Engine, I kinda did a hybrid solution. I bought a Japanese PC Engine DUO-R, modded with US/JP region switch and upgraded video outputs. And then, just bought a Krikz everdrive, loaded. I paid around $700 for all of that, and am glad that's the route I took. 

The Turbo Everdrive is about $80.  Are Duos going for $600+ now?? 

13 minutes ago, NE146 said:

The Turbo Everdrive is about $80.  Are Duos going for $600+ now?? 

Looks like they are $200~$300 on ebay. That's the same price they go for in town here, so go forth and don't feel ripped off~

On 8/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, Leeroy ST said:

I Forgot that existed.

I think most people do. I certainly do and I kind of want one even though it's a total waste of money. Here's another one that seems to actually work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144146049371?hash=item218fc6295b%3Ag%3APJ8AAOSwsiJhD9DE&LH_BIN=1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Looks like they are $200~$300 on ebay. That's the same price they go for in town here, so go forth and don't feel ripped off~

Heh I aint in the market. Just curious since he said $700 for a duo+everdrive, which seemed kind of steep. ?

On 8/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, Cobra Kai said:

I have a Duo-R with region switch, TED, and an Arcade Card. I bought the system from a PCEngineFX community member who did the mod for about 300.

• Like 2