IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Veigues tactical gladiator literally has the same sound note on repeat for most of the music from the bit I played. 

Also played Rastan Saga.

Now, the PC engine has good sound. So I have no idea what cat they drowned for the Rastan Saga ost. Stage 1 I was just frozen trying to figure out what happened.

Rastan as a game however was decent. No so much for Veigues 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:46 PM, jgkspsx said:

Ghost Manor is so close to being a cool game. If they had only fixed the level design, collision detection, and gameplay…

Honestly Spot On!

The thing is it had a very good idea, it had great graphics...I don't even remember the music or SFX so I'm gonna say they were probably OK.

I saw that screen when I first loaded it up and thought, "Cool!  This is gonna be great!"  Then I tried to play it...

The Beta Tester must have been sick that day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

My post was a joke, but it wasn’t. I love everything about it except the fundamentals. I wish it were possible to make a new game with the assets that didn’t suck.

Agreed!   There's definitely games out there like this where they got part of it right but messed up the most important aspects...FWIW, other examples off the top of my head include Dragon's Lair-NES,  Jim Powers-SNES, Dark Castle-Genesis,...And Twisted Metal PS3 Not controlling (the car) with the D-Pad!

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 8:46 PM, jgkspsx said:

Ghost Manor is so close to being a cool game. If they had only fixed the level design, collision detection, and gameplay…

It's a Wizards & Warriors style game.

If it was broken into stages with bosses and had special items like W&W it would be much more popular.

Even just a player sprite hack would go a long way.

• Like 1

Ouch seriously that one?

An update on my stuff.  I'm enjoying the mini, nice to have a concise limited library to dig more into, plus a few on there I just never had access to (GnG, Sapphire, Aldynes) before, and others I just overlooked -- big mistake.  That hidden game with the Gradius mechanics is pretty fun too, can't quite figure it out.  Seems you can infinitely die until a clock stops, then it's a one hit kill for game over?

I got rid of my system, ave6 pad, ext cord and everdrive.  Sent my first Gradius 1 and 2, Ys Book as well in a trade.  I've got all the other complete/few loose hucards still I got to trade off or if needed sell.

Still I'm surprised how well Konami did with the PCE mini, sure as hell better job with the game list than what stupid Sony did with their wretched game selection on the PSfail mini.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ouch seriously that one?

An update on my stuff.  I'm enjoying the mini, nice to have a concise limited library to dig more into, plus a few on there I just never had access to (GnG, Sapphire, Aldynes) before, and others I just overlooked -- big mistake.  That hidden game with the Gradius mechanics is pretty fun too, can't quite figure it out.  Seems you can infinitely die until a clock stops, then it's a one hit kill for game over?

I got rid of my system, ave6 pad, ext cord and everdrive.  Sent my first Gradius 1 and 2, Ys Book as well in a trade.  I've got all the other complete/few loose hucards still I got to trade off or if needed sell.

Still I'm surprised how well Konami did with the PCE mini, sure as hell better job with the game list than what stupid Sony did with their wretched game selection on the PSfail mini.

Wait.. you got rid of your PCE stuff because you got a mini??

22 hours ago, turboxray said:

Wait.. you got rid of your PCE stuff because you got a mini??

No I got rid of it because I haven't used more than fingers on a hand in a couple of years, don't have the time or care to go digging through it, and the prices on Japanese stuff due to westerner greed have caused them spike so I decided to put an end to it.  The mini was just a means to and end to have some fun still, controlled fun in a single system so I didn't do without entirely.

• Like 4

I got lost in Neutopia last night, first time I ever put any real time on it.  Not bad, a little janky with how you can't hit stuff unless it's right on the sword, but the enemies can nip you with a far fatter hit box so that took time to get used to.  Got the first 2 orbs and was starting to look at the underworld area.  Not really sure where to go ...yet, and the first area was like don't go somewhere without a fire staff, but I never found that.  It shows its age and it's wannabe Zelda roots being a bit more stiff, but it's actually pretty nice.

• Like 2

Can some one tell me what crack dealer they went to in order to make the Druaga port on the PC Engine?

I mean what? At the start I tried playing it like the arcade version, which wasn't that good itself, but they changed how the sword works so swinging it at an enemy does nothing.

Eventually I figured it out but it's uh, not really balanced as you go through the stages. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I believe Namco(t) did it themselves.

That's what I meant, I was wondering what they were thinking lol.

I heard the sequel was better than the arcade game and TG16 port but I haven't met anyone who has played it 

Also not sure it was originally released on any consoles until digital download. (Edit: it was released on japanese computers apparently)

I did however play that awful PS2 game Nightmare if Druaga.

• Like 1

I had that hucard for Druaga on PCE awhile back, I got into it.  Don't get the hate, but then again I wasn't big on the original one anyway.  At one point I was thinking of getting it back as I had it loose, but as all things ruining by greedy western speculators the JP stuff shot up bad in price to where loose was more expensive than the former complete from a year earlier.  One of a list of reasons I packed it in on that thing, toxic stupidity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I had that hucard for Druaga on PCE awhile back, I got into it.  Don't get the hate, but then again I wasn't big on the original one anyway.

I don't hate Tower of Druaga, but it did absolutely nothing for me. It never felt fun. I never played the arcade or Famicom versions, though, only PCE.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

I don't hate Tower of Druaga, but it did absolutely nothing for me. It never felt fun. I never played the arcade or Famicom versions, though, only PCE.

I feel that way about the arcade version too. It’s like if Dragon Crystal were stupid, or Gauntlet were boring. Admittedly we would not have the terrific (!!!!) Dragon Crystal / Fatal Labyrinth without it, so I can’t be too mean.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

867743325_CyberCross.thumb.jpg.a07f2baa400a04b6453c6e7aca09f883.jpg

So I played Cyber Cross for the first time today. Not the best game I have ever played, not the worst either... just average. I have pretty high standards for games on this platform so I dunno how much I would play this game in the future. 

The oddly named sequel is much better.

It's faster, better graphics, music, gameplay, and is in Engrish, and no that wasn't a typo.

Called Cross-Wiber Cyber Combat Police

The only thing I liked about Cybercross is the stage 1 theme. Also maybe the title theme. Otherwise the game is clunky, way too slow, and repetitive without much change up. Very generic. Ok for time wasting but not much else, low replayability. Get the Sequel.