IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

On 9/25/2021 at 8:19 PM, Tanooki said:

I could agree with that, but the PCE one added a slight bit more action.  I'm not a fan of Druaga having bothered with the arcade and famicom port too some, but that PCE one put a little more to it, just barely enough to make it actually interesting.

I feel the combat was gimped in the PCE version, as I explained before about how the sword works. The later stages have you wandering around trying to figure out more cryptic nonsense to beat the levels, more than the Arcade.

The Arcade was cryptic enough.

Issue is Gil is way too damn slow in every action done and I feel that along with cryptic nonsense to progress levels, strange hit boxes, and other issues make them not really enjoyable. But I feel actually BEATING the arcade version is easier. 

Of course I don't have the patience to beat any version now. I'd rather play Toy Pop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Um, what genre is Ballistix meant to fall into?:

There was another TG16PCE game that has similar aesthetics to this where it looks like a game of snake but it's not. You collect all the things and they attach to you like snake, and there's one item on the ground but nothing happens.

Even wrapped around it, nothing.

Never got past the first stage. Forgot the name of it. Someone here probably knows 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

There was another TG16PCE game that has similar aesthetics to this where it looks like a game of snake but it's not. You collect all the things and they attach to you like snake, and there's one item on the ground but nothing happens.

Even wrapped around it, nothing.

Never got past the first stage. Forgot the name of it. Someone here probably knows 

Gomola Speed?

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

So I got my retrotink 5x yesterday. I was playing a bunch of PCE games last night on it: composite -> hdmi. Wow.. I will be retiring my OSSC data path haha. I'll also be using this to create a composite color palette for the SHD3 pro. I just need to make a few quick tools to do some analysis on the color captures from the tink 5x.

• Like 2

There was also another odd PCE game I don't recall the name of, you were a midget elf and you are in the forest and there are lions and squirrels. 

I kicked them in the corners and nothing happened.

Then I though hey, maybe if you kick the squirrels at the lions, the lions will eat the squirrels and that's how you progress. Nope.

Then I though maybe you had to line up the lions and squirrels next to each other or by themselves, nope.

Then I thought, maybe one of the only other action button on the controller could do something, nope.

Tried the run button. Nope.

Eventually the solution was to throw the PCE out the window.

Then the revelation came to me that Hat-tris wasnt that bad after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Kind of curious what had a midget elf with lions and squirrels, sure it wasn't another entirely different game experienced on shrooms? :P  I mean you don't have a lot of choices there, there's...well button I, and II, then select and start.  Can't be that hard to find a button that does something.

Gomola Speed is one of the games I had on my PCE I need to move, not sure it fits in with ballistix

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

There was also another odd PCE game I don't recall the name of, you were a midget elf and you are in the forest and there are lions and squirrels. 

I kicked them in the corners and nothing happened.

Then I though hey, maybe if you kick the squirrels at the lions, the lions will eat the squirrels and that's how you progress. Nope.

Then I though maybe you had to line up the lions and squirrels next to each other or by themselves, nope.

Then I thought, maybe one of the only other action button on the controller could do something, nope.

Tried the run button. Nope.

Eventually the solution was to throw the PCE out the window.

Then the revelation came to me that Hat-tris wasnt that bad after all.

What haha. How can you not figure out Tricky Kick??? 

• Haha 1

I've been playing Barunba lately...I am not very good at it but it is an interesting shooter if you have a three button controller. Run and Button 1 turn your cannons clockwise or counterclockwise, respectively. There are several power ups you can switch between at any time, and they can be powered up (which is fairly easy). Large bosses, and there is definitely some rock-paper-scissors to which weapon to use on which area/boss, which makes it fun to experiment. I think this one is kind of underrated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A demo of the game engine I'm working on:

It's not just a 'demo' with some stuff quickly thrown together (i.e. functional mockup); it's an actual game engine with all the moving parts of a game engine. This is different from function mock up demos you often see posted (which aren't exactly realistic). The engine is pretty mature, but the feature I'm showing off, obviously, is the object-map engine that's used to create the parallax effect. The music and sfx engine are working and is what you hear in the video. I was prep'ing to make an Actraiser Bloodmore tribute level, but I haven't finished the object meta tiles, so that's why you see it as the far BG layer. I plan to make a few more demo levels to show it off, and then I'll release a demo rom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Star Soldier and Dead Moon look like they might be the same artist. Those two are some pretty bad covers haha. The Dead Moon one is more cringe of the two.

Haha, I get the feeling they'd be appreciated more in other places beyond the context of game covers. Dunno, I just liked how collage-esque and simple they were with how much action was going on that I couldn't help but appreciate it.

• Like 1

Largely the TG Hucard and some CDs were just straight up across the board terrible compared to the overseas art to the point you wonder if they were trying, or if the artist actually played the game first or even bothered looking at the original art.  The epic level of terribleness from a first party would only be outdone by the crap put on SMS cartridge boxes.

• Haha 1