IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Been using the Genesis retrovision cables out of the tg16 and wow..  I was worried about the clone rgb booster but it seems fine.  I really want to be able to play CD games at some point. Did the CD add on ever get an ode ? I wouldn't go that route out of cost, and the terraonion thing is really expensive too.. guess I'm out of luck on this one.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Been using the Genesis retrovision cables out of the tg16 and wow..  I was worried about the clone rgb booster but it seems fine.  I really want to be able to play CD games at some point. Did the CD add on ever get an ode ? I wouldn't go that route out of cost, and the terraonion thing is really expensive too.. guess I'm out of luck on this one.

SSD3 But I went with a Duo RX cause I don't mind using CD-Rs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CMR said:

Anybody know what the missing chips on the TG16 board were for?  The way they're positioned near the card slot, it looks like they may have been intended for a built in game or the TurboCD bios/ram.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Motherboard-Top.jpg

There's been speculation, but no official documents found that says what it's for AFAIK. RAM would be more exciting than a built in game, or some BIOS/FONT rom with a more elaborate copyright "string" mechanism (like the GB).

• Like 2

I made it through Bonk's Adventure. I think this might be the first time I have beat it without having to use a continue. I still have not been able to make across the falling bone bridge in 3-2 though.

How many extra heart containers are there? I usually find two of them and I was wondering if that was all there was.

On to Bonk's Revenge.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

. I still have not been able to make across the falling bone bridge in 3-2 though.

Last time I beat Bonk's Adventure regularly was probably 30 years ago.. but for that bridge, don't you just use the TG16 controller rapid-fire to spin all the way across? 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Been using the Genesis retrovision cables out of the tg16 and wow..

lol I told you that cable is amazing.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I really want to be able to play CD games at some point. Did the CD add on ever get an ode ? I wouldn't go that route out of cost, and the terraonion thing is really expensive too.. guess I'm out of luck on this one.

uperGrafx and SSDS3 are out of production, so SHDS3 is the only choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Or you could get an SSDS3 used from somebody upgrading…

I just checked ebay and lol the ones on there are more expensive than the SHDS3. People are insane these days for wanting that much more cash than for the superior thing that replaced it. More insane than usual, I mean.

Looks like the UperGrafx is being sold on Booth now. Not sure if they stopped doing international orders only or all orders in general, as it's out of stock on Booth, as well. 40890 yen for that thing is still somewhere around 60 euros more expensive than the SHDS3, too, assuming DuckDuckGo is giving me the correct exchange rate. Thing's damn expensive.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I just checked ebay and lol the ones on there are more expensive than the SHDS3. People are insane these days for wanting that much more cash than for the superior thing that replaced it. More insane than usual, I mean.

I don't understand this at all. I just looked myself, and this is crazy. I did check for sold listings and someone payed $375 for the older unit. The only thing I can think of is that people don't know about the replacement product and are getting themselves scammed....

• Sad 1

Bonk's Revenge has been defeated.  This game has some improvements over the first game, but I think I like Bonk's Adventure slightly more. It is really close.  One thing that brings down Bonk's Revenge is the setting for some of the levels.  I am not a fan of the beach motif or the ship.

Is it possible to hit the figure skater without also taking damage?  I do not think I have ever attacked her without getting hit myself.

In Bonk's Revenge you can get a maximum of 8 heart containers, which is nice.  Speaking of heart containers, there is one way up high in the first stage of the second level that I cannot figure out how to get.

I think this is only my second time playing through this game, but I have still not been able to collect enough smiley faces to get all the way to the top to get to the warp yet.

On to Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure.  Outside of testing my copy I have not played this game at all. I am curious to see how it stacks up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I don't understand this at all. I just looked myself, and this is crazy. I did check for sold listings and someone payed $375 for the older unit. The only thing I can think of is that people don't know about the replacement product and are getting themselves scammed....

That or you just can't fix stupid and they refuse to move into the modern era so they'll overpay as much as needed to get the SD unit with the old support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

On to Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure.  Outside of testing my copy I have not played this game at all. I am curious to see how it stacks up.

It is not as well regarded by critics, and admittedly with the size changing it gets pretty busy, but it’s probably my favorite one of the series just because of how I came to the series.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, jgkspsx said:

It is not as well regarded by critics, and admittedly with the size changing it gets pretty busy, but it’s probably my favorite one of the series just because of how I came to the series.

People criticizing the game today? Otherwise, I would not go with the word of a 30 year old game review. It is easier than ever to play these games via emulation that you can play the game to see if you like it for yourself. 

• Like 1

I've lightly touched Bonk 3, but it has been like 20 years.  I liked the size mechanic, largely just for looks because it got kind of clunky.  When I got back into having a system for a few years again not too long ago I never bought it, nor did I even bother emulating it.  The price was just disgusting whatever region given it just didn't have the fun value, just more of the shock value(huge sprite bonk), of the superior first two which I did pick up to play.  I even went with PC Denjin(air zonk) instead as that was far more interesting.

• Like 2

I bought Bonk 3 Hucard on release.  Still have it.  Never finished it.  It didn't hook me the same as the first two which I finished multiple times.  I don't think I like the first levels design.  Also he is a caveman going through pipes of contemporary houses.  Was very confusing.  Maybe I should push through and try it again.

• Like 2

Hmm that was my thoughts now that you reminded me.  It was like this weird WTF game, turned into a generic modern era boring platformer with Bonk not in the past being the gimmick along with the clunky mega bonk that did it.  I had played it on card too in the day, never had interest in the disc.

Funny thing it's like the dumb outlier.  I've got the ones on old Gameboy as the GB Genjin Collection, and then I've had the 2 on SNES(can sd2snes those still), obvious have 2 on the pce mini, the famicom version too, and gamecube.  All those various renditions I found pretty fun, similar but uniquely cool...never tired or lame, but that 3rd on on the old TG/PCE is like a franchise(for the hardware) killer/demotivator.

• Like 1