IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

I beat map 14, mostly thanks to the computer's incompetence.  I had one aerial unit, an Eagle, and they had one aerial unit, a Hunter. Eagles are absolutely no match for a Hunter. All the computer had to do was keep that Hunter in reserve until I brought out my Eagle. Instead the computer used its Hunter to attack my group going for the other factory. That is where my Hawkeye anti-air unit was. I was able to take out 3 of them with my Hawkeye.

The Hunter took off to my main group and I decided to take a chance and bait it with my Eagle. I figured 5 Hunters could not take out all 8 Eagles. The Hunter attacked and took out 5 while I got one or two more of the Hunters. I had an infantry unit right beside it for more bait while I put my Eagle back in the factory to get up to full strength.

The Hunter instead went after some other nearby units and when my 8 Eagles attacked the 3 remaining Hunters they took all 3 out. At that point the computer had one Hawkeye, one Seeker, one or two each of Rabbits and Lynxes, some infantry units, and a Giant that could attack my Eagle.

By this point I was down to four units: an Eagle, a Charlie, a now useless Hawkeye, and a Giant standing guard on my prison while the computer still had over 20 units. I stored my Eagle back in the factory and used my Hawkeye and Charlie as bait for the Seeker. My now fully restored Eagle was able to take out the Seeker and the computer sent its Hawkeye to battle my Giant. The computer also left one of its two Lynxes close enough so my Giant could finish it off.

The Giant was also able to finish off the Rabbits and the Eagle finished off the last Lynx. At this point the computer had its entire army within two turns of attacking my Giant. Instead it sent a paltry force to attack the Giant while the main force kept going after the Hawkeye and Charlie I was using as bait. I would let them take an attack or two from the computer's two artillery pieces, an Octopus and a Hadrian, and then I would put them in the factory.

This bait tactic worked long enough for me to destroy both the Hadrian and the Octupus along with a Mule carrying an Atlas with my Eagle. I also increased my army with two Charlies. The computer would take over my factory and the next round I would take it back over and have a new Charlie.

I then killed a final Kilroy with my Eagle which gave me almost free reign. The computer's Giant could attack my Eagle, but all the tanks could not. The computer did manage to kill one Eagle in my unit with a Mule. I would attack all the tanks without worry and I used my Charlie to work my way around the map. Eventually I destroyed everything but the computer's Giant and one of my Charlie units took over the prison.

Long read I know, but I was very happy to beat this level. A human opponent would have wiped the floor with me if they had any sense. Map 15 does not look as daunting.

• Like 3

Finished the first 16 maps. Map 15 took me a couple of tries and on my second try I was down to two units. Fortunately my last two units were a Pelican flying transport and a Charlie infantry unit. The computer also left their prison unguarded in their rush to destroy me. So I was able to fly the Pelican around the enemies to the prison and deposit my infantry to win the map.

I beat map 16 on my first try. The game gives you quite a bit of units, including two Falcons and an Eagle. The Axis Empire gets a Falcon and I think FIVE Hunters. I did everything in my power to take out their fliers and I managed it without losing any of mine. I then focused on the anti-air units and once those were gone my Eagle had free reign. Even the computer's starless Giant was no match for my maxed out Eagle.

I got the ending and then straight into the next set of 16 maps.  I played through the first two and saw the third. So far there is no scrolling. The entire map fits a single screen. Are all the maps like this for these 16?

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 7:03 AM, Tanooki said:

Hey did you all know that Hudson 25 years also created a 1:1 copy of the PCE version of MM (Nectaris) for Windows 95 in Japan, and it's a 32bit executable+installer so it still works on Windows 10+ too?  It's damn near impossible to find the download anymore, I kept it for years, and it also inclludes extras such as a map maker for DIY stages of your own personal tortures too.

See for yourself:

If I can find a link I'll help, but basically look up Nectaris PC Windows 1997

EDIT: https://nectaris.mobilesuit.ms/faqs.htm

And to verify this was freeware, not warez, here's the webarchives last workign full website in Japanese for the game both the Win95 and Win98 versions(this one works still)

https://web.archive.org/web/20041205165427/http://www.hudson.co.jp/gamenavi/gamedb/slg/down.html

Also for fun here's all the passwords to the game too as they still work whatever region:

(normal)
01. REVOLT
02. ICARUS
03. CYRANO
04. RAMSEY
05. NEWTON
06. SENECA
07. SABINE
08. ARATUS
09. GALOIS
10. DARWIN
11. PASCAL
12. HALLEY
13. BORMAN
14. APPOLO
15. KAISER
16. NECTOR

(advanced)
17. TLOVER
18. SURACI
19. ONARYC
20. YESMAR
21. NOTWEN
22. ACENES
23. ENIBAS
24. SUTARA
25. SIOLAG
26. NIWRAD
27. LACSAP
28. YELLAH
29. NAMROB
30. OLOPPA
31. RESIAK
32. ROTCEN

Just started getting into Military Madness / Nectaris recently, so I very much appreciate this.

• Like 3

I remember playing with the RNG on 16 for a bit to give me just enough of an edge to win.  There's one of the buggy type near the middle of the map iirc which I would encounter first.  I'd know by how many enemies died on that encounter whether I had the rng I needed.  It seems like there was a set number... it'd either kill like 3, 4, or 5 or something like that.  If I had the 5, I could kill it before it got away or back to a factory or something... can't really remember now... but even then, it was close.

Also... just got down my copy and found notes that I had written back then...  I found some cheats online or something and wrote them down.  Even shows the misspelling on level 9.  Apparently my source had it as "GOLOIS" which I have scratched out and "GALIOS" written.  Also, my source had lvl 14 as "APPOLO" which again I have scratched out and corrected as "APOLLO".

And for the levels after that... I have written on the back:

17 MILTON

18 IRAGAN

19 LIPTUS

20 INAKA

21 TETROS

22 ARBINE

So I'm not sure that the Advanced ones listed above are correct... looks like they just spelled the first 16 backwards which would have made it easy to guess all of them.

Also...  I have other "cheats" listed...

Swap sides:  Choose 1-player cont., press and hold select and press the I button, then type in the code for the level.

Spectator war:  Same as above but choose 2-player cont.

Sound Test:  1-player cont. and enter ONGAKU.

EDIT:  Unless those level codes are just for that PC version...  maybe misread that earlier.  Anyway, the codes I have above are for the TG version and I'm sure they're available online somewhere.

Edited by Eltigro
  • Thanks 1

I've been a pretty huge Military Madness fan since the game was first released having finished it multiple times. I've also played a bunch of Nectaris (very recently having played through all 64+ or whatever stages in the Playstation 1 version). :)

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, jeremiahjt said:

At the end of the battle I had finished off most of the Axis Empire's forces, but I was left with a lot of Hawkeye anti-aircraft units and they had no aircraft left.

Even without enemy aircraft, your hawkeyes (or any unit really.. even the mules/vans) can still be useful as "surround" effect support to help your remaining ground units. i.e. Where it basically cuts the opposing unit's defense drastically if you surround them (especially on opposite sides of the hexagon).

I did learn on that map that if you place a unit on top of a prison, then an enemy unit cannot take over the prison.  The defending unit has to be destroyed, or moved, to take over the prison and win that battle.  It seems pretty obvious in hindsight, but I guess I never thought too much about it when I would see the computer do that in earlier maps.

I'm guessing you mean the main base.. but yeah it makes sense to park a unit (e.g. a Charlie) on there as you can play a map for a long time but all they need to do is move a single unit on there and you lose. :)   The thing about the bases is the defense on there is very high so sometimes you come to a point where the computer will park a fully-battle-experienced Giant on there and it's almost impossible to kill it unless you completely surround it. :lol:

I also learned a couple maps before that a unit can take over a factory that has already been taken over by the opposing force.  That came as a shock.  I had taken over a factory, but anything I took out of the factory was being destroyed, so I was holding off.  Then an Axis Panther motorcycle unit enters my factory and now they control it and all the units that were still there.  Now I know to get the units out as quick as possible.  Even if they die immediately it is better than letting the Axis Empire take over, assuming there is an enemy unit nearby in position to take over the factory.

Yes... 100%. It's also sometimes a strategy to see if the enemy has a factory with units in it, and if there's a limited amount of exits (1 or 2) from it, place a unit on those exit spaces to block them from getting out. Then you can move a charlie in to capture it and take those units. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Practical question: how do you store your HuCards now that the old sleeves are starting to dissolve and get sticky? I found some great replacements a year ago and bought a lot. I have somehow used up all of them and need more.

I just got these in the mail today:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003CZ5POQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

But while they are close it’s definitely no cigar. A couple pins end up exposed, which is no bueno.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Aliexpress sells those sleeves. You do usually have to wait a few weeks before receiving them. 

That’s awesome. And it taught me something important too.

EECDD422-B66F-4AA8-BCE0-970055AE232C.thumb.jpeg.94e94d281a7834f8865c7ccd6ae004fe.jpeg

My whole life I’ve been trying to figure out what that stupid little pocket above the real pocket of my jeans was for, and it was for an emergency HuCARD the whole time!!!

• Haha 5

You can source sleeves for some years now pretty cheap too without resorting to the chinese crap peddler site too as I had a few.  Also personally I found a better choice would be the hard plastic clear 2 piece cases meant for trading/sports cards.  I have a 100ct one and it would hold around 25~ bare HuCards in there quite securely.  Ultimately it ate up the same or slightly less depth space than having each one within a clear sleeve, and being in that thing kept the dust and stuff off them entirely too.

• Like 1

You guys are scaring me... I just checked all of my HuCard games and just one had a sticky sleeve: the Jacky Chan game I bought quite recently, and one of the few I imported from Japan. My guess is it's mostly related to climate, and since PC Engine games were imported in France at the time, I assume sleeves that have been there from that time should be OK. That being said, I also noticed a second kind of sleeve with a different texture for some games, so I guess some have been replaced before I bought the games.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

You guys are scaring me... I just checked all of my HuCard games and just one had a sticky sleeve: the Jacky Chan game I bought quite recently, and one of the few I imported from Japan. My guess is it's mostly related to climate, and since PC Engine games were imported in France at the time, I assume sleeves that have been there from that time should be OK. That being said, I also noticed a second kind of sleeve with a different texture for some games, so I guess some have been replaced before I bought the games.

Yeah, I have a few that are sticky but some that are fine, and there are definitely at least 2 types of HuCARD sleeve: one for regular games and a different one that my Super System Card has that has little holes in it that the hooks inside the case go into to attempt to hold it in place, although the hooks don't really do all that much. Not sure if there are any other types.

• Like 1

The thing that absolutely ruins sleeves is cigarette smoke. The collection I left at my parents’ house when I moved out (and only for a few years at that) was heavily smoked around by a relative, and it really wrecked them, even though they don’t smell like smoke or seem yellowed. Some of them were outright melting.

Since then I’ve aggressively replaced even the ones that were okay. That said, 90% of them have some degree of stickiness to them that a brand new sleeve doesn’t. I think my HuCARD collection isn’t gonna get much larger at this point, but I’ve thought that before…

There are two kinds of US sleeve and three JP sleeves. The US ones are smooth and clearish vinyl and a kind of rough and translucent vinyl that is thinner. Later games tended to come in the latter, or at least that’s how I got them. As @Steven Pendleton says, in Japan there is at least a third with punched holes for the Capcom style jewel cases that have a sort of cave that the HuCARD slides into. Those are the only ones I haven’t replaced as they seem to be in better shape than most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

That’s awesome. And it taught me something important too.

EECDD422-B66F-4AA8-BCE0-970055AE232C.thumb.jpeg.94e94d281a7834f8865c7ccd6ae004fe.jpeg

My whole life I’ve been trying to figure out what that stupid little pocket above the real pocket of my jeans was for, and it was for an emergency HuCARD the whole time!!!

You didn't know that was a condom pouch?

seymour onion used to be the guy to get nice  new sleeves from...can't seem to find them online now though.

In my experience, TG16 huey sleeves normally hold up well and show up clean. But a LOT of my PCE stuff from Japan...I guess because more adults played games there or something, many of the sleeves are like ash trays. Yellow and stinky. Some very sticky. ewww.

or little Japanese kids smoked cigs back then. Either way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/2/2022 at 8:40 AM, NE146 said:

I've been a pretty huge Military Madness fan since the game was first released having finished it multiple times. I've also played a bunch of Nectaris (very recently having played through all 64+ or whatever stages in the Playstation 1 version). :)

Even without enemy aircraft, your hawkeyes (or any unit really.. even the mules/vans) can still be useful as "surround" effect support to help your remaining ground units. i.e. Where it basically cuts the opposing unit's defense drastically if you surround them (especially on opposite sides of the hexagon).

True, but Hawkeyes are one of the top targets for the Axis Empire so they go after them relentlessly.  

I'm guessing you mean the main base.. but yeah it makes sense to park a unit (e.g. a Charlie) on there as you can play a map for a long time but all they need to do is move a single unit on there and you lose. :)   The thing about the bases is the defense on there is very high so sometimes you come to a point where the computer will park a fully-battle-experienced Giant on there and it's almost impossible to kill it unless you completely surround it. :lol:

The main base is the prison.  You take it over to free your captured allies.

Yes... 100%. It's also sometimes a strategy to see if the enemy has a factory with units in it, and if there's a limited amount of exits (1 or 2) from it, place a unit on those exit spaces to block them from getting out. Then you can move a charlie in to capture it and take those units. :lol:

Usually the enemy factories have five of six exits and the factories I get to have one or two.  I do not think I have actually ever set up units on factory exits before.

I have made it to map 27. Unfortunately after taking out every unit except for a Trigger and two Atlases guarding their main base my soldiers all went AWOL.  I paid attention to the turns this time and it happened on turn 52. So I guess you have 51 turns on each map to win.  I was setting up my assault when it happened.  I should have just rushed in and taken my losses with what I had available.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Spelling
  • Sad 1

True, but Hawkeyes are one of the top targets for the Axis Empire so they go after them relentlessly.  

Right but I was replying to you saying you were "left with a lot of Hawkeye anti-aircraft units and they had no aircraft" :)

I have made it to map 27. Unfortunately after taking out every unit except for a Trigger and two Atlases guarding their main base my soldiers all went AWOL.

Wait what? Is that something that happens if you take too many turns? If so, wow I have never seen that! I'm going to have to check that out.

Edited by NE146
  • Haha 1

Well I have defeated all 32 maps. Level 32 was quite different, and pretty easy. There were only 18 units for both sides for the entire map. At one point the computer took over one of my factories then immediately stored a Pelican and a Rabbit. On the next turn I took the factory back over and gained a Charlie, a Pelican, and a Rabbit. At the end the two Atlases and a Trigger were no match for my Lynx and three Rabbits.

As a reward for defeating map 32 you get the exact same ending as you did after map 16. Awesome.

I would recommend Military Madness to anybody who likes strategy games. I quite enjoyed it, though at times it can be difficult. The computer is no master strategist, but the computer always has the superiority in numbers and most of the time in terrain as well. The worst part is the luck factor seems to favor the computer more often than not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Anybody happen to randomly know what the turbo controller's turbo rates of fire are?

Yes. Reading the controller port clocks the counter IC on the controller (used for turbo). So there's no "rate" per se happening if you don't read from the controller (unlike other auto fire controllers). So assuming the controller is read once per NTSC frame, then fastest rate is 30hz (every 2 reads), and slower rate setting is 15hz (every 4 reads). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Yes. Reading the controller port clocks the counter IC on the controller (used for turbo). So there's no "rate" per se happening if you don't read from the controller (unlike other auto fire controllers). So assuming the controller is read once per NTSC frame, then fastest rate is 30hz (every 2 reads), and slower rate setting is 15hz (every 4 reads). 

So it is 15 and 30, then... interesting. Thanks. Have you checked what the PC Engine mini controller? I noticed that mine is way faster than the real PC Engine controller's turbo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So it is 15 and 30, then... interesting. Thanks. Have you checked what the PC Engine mini controller? I noticed that mine is way faster than the real PC Engine controller's turbo.

Well, it's either 15hz/30hz or 15hz/7.5hz... I forgot which off hand (it's been a number of years since I looked at the schematic). It's whatever the tapped output pins are on the '163 to the buttons.

https://console5.com/wiki/File:PC-Engine---TG16-Controller-Schematic.png

Yeah, looks like 15hz/7.5hz

• Like 1