IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

You could buy NewZealand Story from them again and let them know you want to send GT back.

Yeah but I've never sent any package to a foreign country... ? I should probably contact him first, but his 'Engrish' is difficult to understand. I really feel sorry for him because he may not even know he sent Game Tengoku to me (NZS was on the invoice).

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yeah but I've never sent any package to a foreign country... ? I should probably contact him first, but his 'Engrish' is difficult to understand. I really feel sorry for him because he may not even know he sent Game Tengoku to me (NZS was on the invoice).

It's worth a try.  Not exactly related other than country.  When the dopey virus hit days before EMS shut down, but it got caught up in it anyway April 2020 I bought a game off a rock solid Japanese seller on ebay I was aware of.  The game went so long without tracking, never a word, nothing, I hit this window where about 2mo into it I couldn't get a refund anymore via ebay-pp, so I went for it apologizing to the guy.  Weeks, month+ later it did arrive.  I felt terrible for the dude.

I found his contact info from another item up there, ebay mailed the guy, let him know it arrived and then asked for his actual email and I issued a full fees included refund through PP.  He wrote back shocked I did it very very appreciative.  It's worth a try.

And unrelated, is it me, or is the dickery around what people are charging for the Konami/Hudson COre Grafx Mini's etc coming down in price?  A few months ago it was easy to get ripped off for like $200USD or near it, now they seem to be dropping (and I'm talking new) to around $120~ (with around 20 shipping) and that's a considerable hit in a short time.

Strongly finally considering grabbing the CG Mini.  I'm still trying to offload stuff, I'd lose a few games I really like, but much of what I do have is still on there anyway.  It's a trade off, given I don't have HDMI but future pet projects could add that, but I do have an everdrive and a couple dozen real cards. ?

• Like 1

I have the Turbografx Mini (same thing, different plastic) and it’s really awesome. The biggest drawback is that it only supports licensed usb controllers, so I had to get the official dedicated wireless controllers, which have single-speed turbo buttons instead of the turbo speed switch. Not a big deal.

I'm not so worried about it, 35 years ago or not I still find the Tg16 ugly, I went for a Duo, then later the Core Grafx 2 I have, so I'd get that mold and it has turbo on the controllers and I've seen others pop up not just the wireless ones, not that I think I'd need them with no one to do it with.

The only expansion I really want, raphnet (wii etc) classic controller to USB port so I can use some spare SNES CE pads I found a week ago on my computer which would be awesome, also would allow this Wii pro controller I have to be used too.

• Like 1

i remember back in march of 2020 when i think the tg mini was supposed to be released then got pushed to may?  i think it was on pre-order for like a year and the only thing i kept thinking was i really hope i get to try it out before we all die.  i really did think humans were all going to die.  to be honest it's a bit of a bummer we didn't, but i am glad to have the mini.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I have the Turbografx Mini (same thing, different plastic) 

Mostly.. there are a couple of game differences, although nothing crazy.

I have the TG16 Mini and the PCEngine Mini (which I bought when I thought I couldn't get the TG16 Mini). They're ok, but when I play them, I can tell in various ways that it's emulation, especially with the sound. I do like them for the save-states though.

• Like 2

Well my Duo came in; and despite not being packed all that well (IMO) it survived intact. It's glorious; i'm so stoked to have one finally!  I am in touch with Chris Brown who is going to recap and refurb the unit for me, so thanks to @Tanooki for the recommendation on that. 

Question---will my controller cable extensions and/or multi-tap from my TG-16 work on this unit?   I know the controllers are unique, so I assume no, but wanted to ask in case one or the other would. 

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 2.37.26 PM.png

• Like 3

@Rick Dangerous The TG16 has its own jack which is dumb.  The Duo's of various breeds+PCE models have the same tumbler for the jack.  You CAN use them, but you'll need a small adapter you can find online, so no need to reinvest in a bunch of costly gouged parts.  Just another epic level of moronic behavior of the bungle after bungle the US NEC office did with their TG products to add to the list.  I never had to deal with it, I've only ever owned a Duo (US, JP) and the core grafx 2 fortunately.  The only extra I picked up, a 6ft extension cord for my PCE just so it would reach a bit better, and I have an Avenue 6 pad which is awesome for SF2 CE and little else.

I wrote Chris let him know I was sending you his way so that's good.  Turn around unless something changed is pretty quick so it'll be handled and very well.

18 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Well my Duo came in; and despite not being packed all that well (IMO) it survived intact. It's glorious; i'm so stoked to have one finally!  I am in touch with Chris Brown who is going to recap and refurb the unit for me, so thanks to @Tanooki for the recommendation on that. 

Question---will my controller cable extensions and/or multi-tap from my TG-16 work on this unit?   I know the controllers are unique, so I assume no, but wanted to ask in case one or the other would. 

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 2.37.26 PM.png

Console 5 sells adapters (not sure about cable extensions). Looks like their stock is out though. They will probably get more at some point.

• Like 2

Got one of these on ebay for $40. A little more than console 5 but it's OEM and I don't have to wait for it to get back in stock.  Stoked I can use my nice TG-16 controllers now if playing multiplayer.  

Still need to get an extension cable for the Duo controller..seems like they are pretty common. 

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Got one of these on ebay for $40. A little more than console 5 but it's OEM and I don't have to wait for it to get back in stock.  Stoked I can use my nice TG-16 controllers now if playing multiplayer.  

Still need to get an extension cable for the Duo controller..seems like they are pretty common. 

s-l400.jpg

Yeah pretty easy to get extension cables for PC Engine. It's the same plugs as the Mac serial port cables.

Something like this: Cable Showcase 6ft MiniDin8 to MiniDin8 8C Macintosh Serial Cable Male/Female (10M3-04206) Serial Cable for sale online | eBay

Since I only have PC Engine controllers I just connect my multitap using the extension cable so I only need one.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah pretty easy to get extension cables for PC Engine. It's the same plugs as the Mac serial port cables.

Something like this: Cable Showcase 6ft MiniDin8 to MiniDin8 8C Macintosh Serial Cable Male/Female (10M3-04206) Serial Cable for sale online | eBay

Since I only have PC Engine controllers I just connect my multitap using the extension cable so I only need one.

That seems perfect for an all in one. I think I'll buy one of those and a male "full size" connector from console5 and make an adapter/extension.

5 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

s-l400.jpg

I bought one as soon as they came to town bitd and it was priceless at the time. I believe I still have it, but don't use it because of the heavy Duo plug.

I use one of those slim plug cables that I believe are made for old Macs(?).

7 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Pretty sure that's what I ended up with for like maybe $5, it wasn't much and it's old PC/Mac color dingy gray.  I have it wrapped around my avenue 6 controller currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

The new TurboGrafx-16 controllers from Old Skool and Hyperkin come with those adaptor cables. I have never tried one, but I assume they work fine.

As I recall they work just fine!   And then you've also got a new controller!  (I bought one of each)  :)

On 7/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

that is a sexy system

On 7/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

Agreed! It's one of my favorite industrial designs for a console ever. 

I personally think the Turbo Duo is one of the Coolest looking systems of all time!

My PC-Engine Duo-R looks pretty sweet too,  but there's something about the Duo...