Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

- UperGrafx has been out of stock for almost a year

- Analogue Duo doesn’t exist yet

- PC Everdrive Pro doesn’t exist yet

 

There are no alternatives. Even Japanese Duos aren’t an option for me because I don’t have a TG16 to PCE hucard adapter, just the other way around.

Be patient then. You don’t have to have it right now and rely on sketchy TO garbage.   Just wait a bit and do better with your money. 
 

 

I actually got two complete hucards today in the mail. Gomola speed and spin flip. First is like snake but more complex for the better and the other a quirky puzzle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I got mine a year ago, and I really like it. If somebody wants to play CD games right now but doesn’t have a CD drive (or doesn’t want to risk killing it with CDRs, urban legend or no), I would strongly recommend the final revision of the old one, particularly used.

 

Gomola Speed is one of my favorites. I keep meaning to get Spin Flip but haven’t yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Er, it would be easier to find it if I were looking for the right name, Spin Pair. Doesn’t this look fascinating?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another one:

 

Alright, I finally got around to watching this and it seems that this thing does have seek time emulation now. Yay, seek time emulation~

SuperGrafx stuff still looks kind of broken, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is enough in that review to give me pause though. I am sure firmware updates will fix some of the main issues including the sluggish SuperGrafx support, but I have the third revision of the old product, so I may hold off even though SAG is starting pre-orders at the end of the month. One of my kids may eventually get a system with the old version, but there isn't a rush for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

There is enough in that review to give me pause though. I am sure firmware updates will fix some of the main issues including the sluggish SuperGrafx support, but I have the third revision of the old product, so I may hold off even though SAG is starting pre-orders at the end of the month. One of my kids may eventually get a system with the old version, but there isn't a rush for that.

Yeah, just keep the old one if you have the final revision of it. That's what I'm doing for now. If you really want SuperGrafx games, a real SuperGrafx is cheaper than this thing is and actually works properly, so buy one and put the SSDS3 on it and there you go. That is assuming you can actually find a SuperGrafx, of course. Here are some, but be careful about what you are buying, as one of these is missing the AC adaptor: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=1&p=スーパーグラフィックス&x=0&y=0

 

Most of these probably won't ship internationally, but I suppose it's possible if you maybe get super lucky and find one that does. I have never tried buying anything from Yahoo Auctions from overseas, though, so I can't really help much with that.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Nice little puzzle game:

 

45888-splash-lake-turbografx-cd-front-co

 

 

Looks interesting I'll have to burn a copy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, just keep the old one if you have the final revision of it. That's what I'm doing for now. If you really want SuperGrafx games, a real SuperGrafx is cheaper than this thing is and actually works properly, so buy one and put the SSDS3 on it and there you go. That is assuming you can actually find a SuperGrafx, of course. Here are some, but be careful about what you are buying, as one of these is missing the AC adaptor: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=1&p=スーパーグラフィックス&x=0&y=0

 

Most of these probably won't ship internationally, but I suppose it's possible if you maybe get super lucky and find one that does. I have never tried buying anything from Yahoo Auctions from overseas, though, so I can't really help much with that.

Not sure why you would recommend yahoo auctions to someone who lives outside of Japan. "SW PA" I'm going to assume he lives in the US. You can get an SGX off of ebay pretty easily. I just bought a 2nd SGX for debugging/probing of the huc6202 - it shipped from Japan and was in perfect condition - $280. But none of the SGX's that I've seen are going to be cheaper than an SSHD3. Maybe the same price as an SSHD3 if you shop around a bit and wait. Since the SGX stuff is FPGA, I can't image why they couldn't fix the stutter mentioned in the video. I'll be receiving mine next week, so I'm gonna check that out too.

 

SGX aside, the biggest advantage of this unit is the composite color palette for RGB out, and probably even more important PSG level adjustment relative to CDDA. I swear, if you don't understand this issue with crappy PSG sound FX (or not) being too loud compared to the CD sound track, then have you really even played PCE CD games hahah. This has been an issue for decades. I had a mod on my Duo. Through out the years, people would boost CDDA tracks to overcome this (required burning CD-Rs). Rayxanber 3 is a pretty great game, but pick up the laser... I pray your ears survive the assault haha. Outside of some bad SFX in CD games, PCE CD games in general tend to have worse chip SFX than hucards - which is crazy because you literally have more sound channels to make better/more complex sound FX. But yeah, I was going to mod my original SSDS3 with an analog volume know for PSG adjustment. But then this newer unit came along. It's a CD game.. I want to hear the CD music and not so much the sound FX.

Edited by turboxray
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, turboxray said:

Not sure why you would recommend yahoo auctions to someone who lives outside of Japan. "SW PA" I'm going to assume he lives in the US. You can get an SGX off of ebay pretty easily. I just bought a 2nd SGX for debugging/probing of the huc6202 - it shipped from Japan and was in perfect condition - $280. But none of the SGX's that I've seen are going to be cheaper than an SSHD3. Maybe the same price as an SSHD3 if you shop around a bit and wait. Since the SGX stuff is FPGA, I can't image why they couldn't fix the stutter mentioned in the video. I'll be receiving mine next week, so I'm gonna check that out too.

Oh, I never recommended it, I just said that here are some that exist. I have also seen people here on this forum that have bought stuff from Yahoo Auctions, as well, so I know it's entirely possible, and if you check past auctions, like this one https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c919202547

 

and do the thing with the exchange rate, you'll find that 25000 yen or less is definitely cheaper than the 232 Euros for the SDHS3 Pro.

5 hours ago, turboxray said:

SGX aside, the biggest advantage of this unit is the composite color palette for RGB out, and probably even more important PSG level adjustment relative to CDDA. I swear, if you don't understand this issue with crappy PSG sound FX (or not) being too loud compared to the CD sound track, then have you really even played PCE CD games hahah. This has been an issue for decades. I had a mod on my Duo. Through out the years, people would boost CDDA tracks to overcome this (required burning CD-Rs). Rayxanber 3 is a pretty great game, but pick up the laser... I pray your ears survive the assault haha. Outside of some bad SFX in CD games, PCE CD games in general tend to have worse chip SFX than hucards - which is crazy because you literally have more sound channels to make better/more complex sound FX. But yeah, I was going to mod my original SSDS3 with an analog volume know for PSG adjustment. But then this newer unit came along. It's a CD game.. I want to hear the CD music and not so much the sound FX.

I'm not saying the old one is better. What I'm saying is that the new has problems right now, and its price, which is about is half of my rent, which itself is about 1/4 of my paycheck, does not provide enough value to me to warrant its purchase in its current state compared to the existing equipment (which absolutely does have its own problems) that I already have.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my contribution to this thread:

 

I sat down to play Ys I a little this morning to compare it to the atrocity of a DS remake I have been playing and after five hours or so I am like on the 12th floor of Darm Tower and am going to finish the game today. That is still a hell of a game. Bump combat forever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Nice little puzzle game:

 

45888-splash-lake-turbografx-cd-front-co

This is a great game but an insanely infuriating one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Here is my contribution to this thread:

 

I sat down to play Ys I a little this morning to compare it to the atrocity of a DS remake I have been playing and after five hours or so I am like on the 12th floor of Darm Tower and am going to finish the game today. That is still a hell of a game. Bump combat forever.

Did you mean your contribution to the bottom half of this page?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, poste din the WTB section but though I would ask here as well if anyone is interested in selling a TurboExpress console, can be re-capped or not. I first got a Turbografx console last year in October and have had so much fun collecting for it so far. If anyone has one they want to part with please PM me. Thank you :). 

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, for the past several days I've been enjoying the Super HD System 3 Pro on my PC Engine, but it's not without its quirks. I can't get the visual game display working despite having the correct file on the SD card (it's a 256GB card, upgraded from a packed 200GB that wouldn't fit the database file), but I suppose that's OK because the list view is much faster anyway. I am disappointed in the performance of SuperGrafx Daimakaimura, among my favorite games on the platform. It's unplayable. Hopefully that's fixed soon in an upcoming firmware update. I also had trouble with a few of the CD-based games, but I need to experiment more with using different CD system cores. Overall, though, the picture and sound quality is good and I'm generally happy with the purchase despite the relatively high cost. I DO wish there was save state support, but at least the virtualized version of the standard save system works just fine.

 

On a related note, I finally also set up the Analogue Super NT (SNES) and Nt Mini Noir (NES). They make me very much look forward to the Duo eventually paired with a CD-supporting Turbo EverDrive (I should be getting the Mega sg soon as well, which I was able to order the last time they had it available again).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, quick question, I just acquired a working turbografx 16 for my cousin. I tested it with my original power supply and it works fine; however, this unit didn't come with a power supply, just some games and the controller. I have these 3 power supplies which are all center negative, but the Volts and Amps are not exactly the same as the original power supply. Would 1 of these three work? The hyperkin one I've never tested on any retro console, the one labeled sega master system does work for my master system and the last one is one of those 2-in-1 power supplies with a snes and nes cord. It seems like it is the closest to the Amps but since it feels so cheap I just wanted to ask which one would be best suited if any for a replacement power supply. 

 

Thanks for everyone's time! 

amps.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, INTVCruise said:

Hello everyone, quick question, I just acquired a working turbografx 16 for my cousin. I tested it with my original power supply and it works fine; however, this unit didn't come with a power supply, just some games and the controller. I have these 3 power supplies which are all center negative, but the Volts and Amps are not exactly the same as the original power supply. Would 1 of these three work? The hyperkin one I've never tested on any retro console, the one labeled sega master system does work for my master system and the last one is one of those 2-in-1 power supplies with a snes and nes cord. It seems like it is the closest to the Amps but since it feels so cheap I just wanted to ask which one would be best suited if any for a replacement power supply. 

 

Thanks for everyone's time! 

amps.jpg

If the standard TG-16 has the same specs and barrel as the base PC Engine then any of those would probably work.

 

Also I had one of those combo SNE/NES/Genesis adapters but oddly enough it did not work with my NES. Maybe because the NES in the US runs on AC power for some reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, INTVCruise said:

Hello everyone, quick question, I just acquired a working turbografx 16 for my cousin. I tested it with my original power supply and it works fine; however, this unit didn't come with a power supply, just some games and the controller. I have these 3 power supplies which are all center negative, but the Volts and Amps are not exactly the same as the original power supply. Would 1 of these three work? The hyperkin one I've never tested on any retro console, the one labeled sega master system does work for my master system and the last one is one of those 2-in-1 power supplies with a snes and nes cord. It seems like it is the closest to the Amps but since it feels so cheap I just wanted to ask which one would be best suited if any for a replacement power supply. 

 

Thanks for everyone's time! 

amps.jpg

You can get a high quality replacement from https://www.retrogamecave.com/

 

https://www.retrogamecave.com/product-page/turbografx-16-premium-psu

 

  • Input: 100-240VAC 60/50Hz
  • Output: 9V/2A

 

20e8e2_cc198ef00834434e998cb45dcbd96585~

 

Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've decided to tap out, more or less.


I just can't motivate myself to bother with the PCE anymore, prices are utterly toxic as Japan got ruined by westerners.  I've bundled it all up, working on a possible cash/trade mix with someone for a considerable savings given the value of what I have.  I do wish it though, to find a Core Grafx MINI, at least then I can enjoy a good selection of titles still condensed into one unit.  That and well, there's always PCE Advance making rom packages on my Gameboy too. :)

 

I'm over the headaches of peoples behavior over this stuff.  Also offing the pokemon mini setup tomorrow to a local, and I've got random other stuff that's going into the winds too.  Strangely, I'm liking this.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well I've decided to tap out, more or less.


I just can't motivate myself to bother with the PCE anymore, prices are utterly toxic as Japan got ruined by westerners.  I've bundled it all up, working on a possible cash/trade mix with someone for a considerable savings given the value of what I have.  I do wish it though, to find a Core Grafx MINI, at least then I can enjoy a good selection of titles still condensed into one unit.  That and well, there's always PCE Advance making rom packages on my Gameboy too. :)

 

I'm over the headaches of peoples behavior over this stuff.  Also offing the pokemon mini setup tomorrow to a local, and I've got random other stuff that's going into the winds too.  Strangely, I'm liking this.

I might be interested in some of your HuCards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I might be interested in some of your HuCards...

Well I'm trying to first part it out entirely as a bundle, if it fails I'll go that route but trying to save the headache.  Given what I put into the stuff in like 2017 I think for most of it, and the crap prices now, even me knocking it down like 1/3 to 1/2 the actual value, I'm not taking a loss so it doesnt' bother me. :)  There's like 1500-2000(highest end) and I'm trying to get a 1000 out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well I'm trying to first part it out entirely as a bundle, if it fails I'll go that route but trying to save the headache.  Given what I put into the stuff in like 2017 I think for most of it, and the crap prices now, even me knocking it down like 1/3 to 1/2 the actual value, I'm not taking a loss so it doesnt' bother me. :)  There's like 1500-2000(highest end) and I'm trying to get a 1000 out of it.

Yeah I don't have that kind of money or I might haven taken up the offer.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...