Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2x2? Not sure what you mean. Arcade Cards work with a Turbografx 16 with a PC Engine adapter. CDs aren’t region locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

2x2? Not sure what you mean. Arcade Cards work with a Turbografx 16 with a PC Engine adapter. CDs aren’t region locked.

 

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

Are Arcade CDrom 2x2 worth anything? I know you need some adapter to play them but dont know what the difference is. I've seen a few at a retro store. I know they likely wouldn't work on the US machines.

 

With all of the variations of this stuff,  I almost hesitate to answer,   but let me try.  (Here goes nothing heh).

 

My guess is you mean the Arcade CD Rom Roms (Arcade CD-ROM²)  (Remember they call them that?),  which if memory serves, need the Arcade Card Pro to play in a Turbografx + CD unit.  I think they play in a Turbo Duo with a (PC Engine Hucard to Turbografx "TurboChip") adapter + Arcade Card Duo,...  or PC Engine DUO-R (Or RX) with an Arcade Card Duo.  Hope that helps.

 

As for value,  I'd check ebay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, there are exactly 9 games that require the Arcade Card. Probably. There are also a rather small amount of games that get a little bit of extra Blast ProcessingTM from the Arcade Card, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Without doing any research at all, I am fairly certain that there are possibly more games that get enhanced with the Arcade Card than there are games that actually require it. I don't have one myself since I didn't plan on ever buying any of the games that actually use the thing and the Super System Card is way cheaper than the Arcade Card Pro that I'd need to get to use on my regular CD-ROM2. Arcade Card Duo is about the same price as the Super System Card, though. I believe there are some games that have compatibility problems with the Arcade Card, but I don't know which ones those are.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah ...

 

I wouldn't mind playing Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire but DAMN!  The CHEAPEST on eBay right now is $757.65!   (And I'd have to pay a little over $70 first to get the Arcade Card Duo)!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So,

(Figured I'd tell this tale here too...)

 

 

Here's a recent purchase.

 

 

 

Long story on this one.  (I'll break it down;  This will be the short version hopefully).  It was either destined to be a trade or for my personal collection :)

 

Here's the thing.  I looked up PC Engine Shuttles on eBay and there were 5 auctions with pictures of the SAME PC Engine Shuttle.  I know this because there were pics of it on a woodgrain kitchen floor and 3 out of the 5 auctions had the same serial number!  I called eBay on it thinking something's up as I often find scam auctions.  Eventually getting a human to talk to on the phone;  the lady spoke fast and with an accent, but seemed to be telling me it was as if they were using those pics as stock pics.  She basically assured me, I could order and my order would be protected, (Meaning I'd get money back if they were scamming, etc.).  Well,   the Paypal protection thing had kicked in 3 times lately and worked each time,  despite one, admittedly a long time ago where they ripped me off and never made it right, telling me the seller had closed his accounts and it would be up to me to  get the money from him (Which was impossible of course).  I was thinking about it when I saw an email in my messages.

 

It was one of the auctions (the Lowest priced one) with the serial number in the pic, and he was sending me a slightly better deal.  The auction said it was tested, working, and showed pics of it hooked up to a TV.  I decided to take it, but I'd missed the time limit.  So I rounded the number slightly down to $140 I think it was, ...$148.40 with free shipping and sent him a Best Offer.  He took it and sent me the exact PC Engine Shuttle in all of the pictures!  With the serial number from the pics.  I had to spec out a power supply and order it separately, but I had a controller that should work and an A/V cable for it, too.  I hooked it up and got picture and sound, but unfortunately, the controller port was flaky and I couldn't get a controller to stay in tight and work.  I told the seller and he ignored me at first so I had to have eBay get involved.  The seller asked me to send it back and he would refund my dough, And pay for shipping.  But when I went to ship it back to Japan,  Shipping on this thing (Which cost me $148.40 Total) would be either $144 (UPS) or $250 (FEDEX)!!! ...I knew the USPS would be even more.  So I emailed the seller.  I felt really bad, and was also baffled that he could send it to me for as cheap as he did.  Maybe he lost money IDK.  We eventually agreed he'd refund half and I'd keep it and get it repaired.  AA member Crossbow is up for trying a repair on this and I hope it works!  

 

It's very neat looking and it's big!  Until I saw it in person I always thought they'd be smaller.  Check out the pic with a 7800 nearby to compare.

 

 

20210717_002945.thumb.jpg.4db1efc62ea234d89e59a3c93786b874.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Yeah ...

 

I wouldn't mind playing Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire but DAMN!  The CHEAPEST on eBay right now is $757.65!   (And I'd have to pay a little over $70 first to get the Arcade Card Duo)!

I found one CIB for about 60000 yen recently. I may buy it, as I've never seen a cheaper one and it would be cheaper than what I paid for 1941 Counter Attack (which is probably a better game, for that matter).

 

Still, it's on the PSP and the PC Engine mini, if you want to obtain it legitimately without going bankrupt.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

So,

(Figured I'd tell this tale here too...)

 

 

Here's a recent purchase.

 

 

 

Long story on this one.  (I'll break it down;  This will be the short version hopefully).  It was either destined to be a trade or for my personal collection :)

 

Here's the thing.  I looked up PC Engine Shuttles on eBay and there were 5 auctions with pictures of the SAME PC Engine Shuttle.  I know this because there were pics of it on a woodgrain kitchen floor and 3 out of the 5 auctions had the same serial number!  I called eBay on it thinking something's up as I often find scam auctions.  Eventually getting a human to talk to on the phone;  the lady spoke fast and with an accent, but seemed to be telling me it was as if they were using those pics as stock pics.  She basically assured me, I could order and my order would be protected, (Meaning I'd get money back if they were scamming, etc.).  Well,   the Paypal protection thing had kicked in 3 times lately and worked each time,  despite one, admittedly a long time ago where they ripped me off and never made it right, telling me the seller had closed his accounts and it would be up to me to  get the money from him (Which was impossible of course).  I was thinking about it when I saw an email in my messages.

 

It was one of the auctions (the Lowest priced one) with the serial number in the pic, and he was sending me a slightly better deal.  The auction said it was tested, working, and showed pics of it hooked up to a TV.  I decided to take it, but I'd missed the time limit.  So I rounded the number slightly down to $140 I think it was, ...$148.40 with free shipping and sent him a Best Offer.  He took it and sent me the exact PC Engine Shuttle in all of the pictures!  With the serial number from the pics.  I had to spec out a power supply and order it separately, but I had a controller that should work and an A/V cable for it, too.  I hooked it up and got picture and sound, but unfortunately, the controller port was flaky and I couldn't get a controller to stay in tight and work.  I told the seller and he ignored me at first so I had to have eBay get involved.  The seller asked me to send it back and he would refund my dough, And pay for shipping.  But when I went to ship it back to Japan,  Shipping on this thing (Which cost me $148.40 Total) would be either $144 (UPS) or $250 (FEDEX)!!! ...I knew the USPS would be even more.  So I emailed the seller.  I felt really bad, and was also baffled that he could send it to me for as cheap as he did.  Maybe he lost money IDK.  We eventually agreed he'd refund half and I'd keep it and get it repaired.  AA member Crossbow is up for trying a repair on this and I hope it works!  

 

It's very neat looking and it's big!  Until I saw it in person I always thought they'd be smaller.  Check out the pic with a 7800 nearby to compare.

 

 

20210717_002945.thumb.jpg.4db1efc62ea234d89e59a3c93786b874.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SHUTTLE!

 

Yes, they are freaking huge. You'd think it would be tiny like the regular PC Engine, but nope, it's the size of a PS4 or a Neo Geo lol. Awesome controller, though; for PC Engine, only the Avenue Pad 3 is better than the PC Engine Shuttle controller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I found one CIB for about 60000 yen recently. I may buy it, as I've never seen a cheaper one and it would be cheaper than what I paid for 1941 Counter Attack (which is probably a better game, for that matter).

 

Still, it's on the PSP and the PC Engine mini, if you want to obtain it legitimately without going bankrupt.

Yeah!  Pretty sure I have it  on my Turbografx Mini!  Which I tend to forget about half the time haha!  And I learned about Sapphire later,  after I'd last had my Mini hooked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SHUTTLE!

 

Yes, they are freaking huge. You'd think it would be tiny like the regular PC Engine, but nope, it's the size of a PS4 or a Neo Geo lol. Awesome controller, though; for PC Engine, only the Avenue Pad 3 is better than the PC Engine Shuttle controller.

Of course I didn't get the controller with it as those command a pretty high price on their own (About $80 starting price)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Arcade Card was one of the first things I bought after getting the Super CD-ROM² because, believe it or not, except for Sapphire of course, the few compatible games tend to be cheaper. Also two of them are wrestling games and I (kinda) collect them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Yeah!  Pretty sure I have it  on my Turbografx Mini!  Which I tend to forget about half the time haha!  And I learned about Sapphire later,  after I'd last had my Mini hooked up.

Yeah, I sometimes forget I have those mini consoles too. They don't see much use and I've thought about selling them a few times recently.

1 minute ago, GoldLeader said:

Of course I didn't get the controller with it as those command a pretty high price on their own (About $80 starting price)...

Gotta get that controller. The very first PC Engine thing I ever bought was a Shuttle controller (~3000 yen. Why are PC Engine controllers so expensive?), so I had one of those before I even owned the system or any games or anything else. Excellent controller and absolutely worth that 3000 yen. My SuperGrafx didn't come with a controller but my CoreGrafx did, so I've basically designated the Shuttle controller as my SuperGrafx's official unofficial controller. I still use the Avenue Pad 3 more just because of the III button, but for games where I know I don't really need or want that button and the super awkward wideness of the Avenue Pad 3 that is the result of that extra button, I will typically use the Shuttle controller due to its excellence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, since I'm here, I've heard about this supposed conceptual PC Engine 2 that later supposedly got turned into the SuperGrafx. Has anyone ever seen any official proof that this maybe-doesn't-exist-and-never-did system or its concept existed prior to it supposedly being rushed to market as the SuperGrafx or any official reports about its specs or anything like that? I've never looked into it myself, but I've become relatively curious about it and I'm sure that someone here might possibly know, so although I have already started my own research, I think it might be interesting to ask here just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple post (I hate double and triple posting... sorry), but I saw this SuperGrafx just now and it made me feel very sad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363018504571

 

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. It's not worth anywhere near that amount.

 

Anyway, still checking ebay for French SuperGrafx stuff. I REALLY wish I'd been able to afford that French 1941 Counter Attack.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Steven Pendleton Thanks, but, that's the PC Engine.  It doesn't have the (so dumb of them, but authentic) the CG2/TG16 style pads with the turbo which I want.  I considered it, but given the expenses, I'm holding out for either model that isn't the PCE. :)

 

@GoldLeader I'll take that yeah, thanks...seriously.  I know about that usb defect of the hardware, so that's a real concern where just the slightest off voltage will cause all function to burn out completely bricking it... What the hell Konami was smoking designing and testing that as OK is beyond me.  I can't see that being missed.

 

I wish a year ago I had grabbed the CG2 mini when I had the chance around $120-130 for the thing on Amazon, even ebay.  With the system not but likely canned because Konami is dumb, it just goes up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah kind of strange how the PC-Engine Mini is still hanging around, while the TG16-Mini, and CoreGrafx Mini have gone extinct. I mean they're all basically the same thing after all. Maybe they just got fed up with the manufacturing of 3 different shells and game offerings/controllers. Who knows. 

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, I sometimes forget I have those mini consoles too. They don't see much use and I've thought about selling them a few times recently.

 

I never bothered to finish Dragon Spirit on a pc emulator using save states.. but on the emulation box that is the TG16 Mini it just felt so much better holding a tg16 pad with turbo buttons that it finally allowed me to finally beat that damn game after 30 years :lol:  But yeah not even counting the lag, the emulation is lacking in various ways with the sound. So for actual game playing it kind of takes a backseat if you have original hardware or even a MisTer (and later the Analogue product) at this point. But like all the other mini-consoles, I'm keeping mine just to have it.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I may looking more at it just buy the PCE Mini, not my first choice, but I mean one could get another USB controller with turbo if necessary.  I'm not lazy enough to not smash a button a 1000 times playing a shooter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I may looking more at it just buy the PCE Mini, not my first choice, but I mean one could get another USB controller with turbo if necessary.  I'm not lazy enough to not smash a button a 1000 times playing a shooter.

Don't give up yet; Amazon UK has the CoreGrafx mini for its UK MSRP. You'll get screwed by the exchange rate, but it's an option.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-PC-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coregrafx+mini&qid=1629810260&sr=8-1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

Don't give up yet; Amazon UK has the CoreGrafx mini for its UK MSRP. You'll get screwed by the exchange rate, but it's an option.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-PC-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coregrafx+mini&qid=1629810260&sr=8-1

Strange, my said says it's not available to buy.  US blocked?  I'm looking at  PCE mini new on ebay, has a 8bitdo added pad, and a working tested ac adapter for it too that won't fry it.  I'll see if I can negotiate a fair offer I'm good with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Strange, my said says it's not available to buy.  US blocked?  I'm looking at  PCE mini new on ebay, has a 8bitdo added pad, and a working tested ac adapter for it too that won't fry it.  I'll see if I can negotiate a fair offer I'm good with.

Interesting that it won't let you buy it. Still, if you're going to go for the PC Engine mini + 8BitDo controller, I imagine it's probably cheaper to get it from Amazon Japan, especially with the yen being weaker than the US dollar, and then go get the 8BitDo from Amazon USA, where it's only $20, than to get it from ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NE146 said:

I never bothered to finish Dragon Spirit on a pc emulator using save states.. but on the emulation box that is the TG16 Mini it just felt so much better holding a tg16 pad with turbo buttons that it finally allowed me to finally beat that damn game after 30 years :lol:  But yeah not even counting the lag, the emulation is lacking in various ways with the sound. So for actual game playing it kind of takes a backseat if you have original hardware or even a MisTer (and later the Analogue product) at this point. But like all the other mini-consoles, I'm keeping mine just to have it.

That game is really damn hard, though. Excellent game and I think the second HuCARD I ever bought and my first CIB one. A friend from the Marines whose uncle has a Turbo recommended it to me and said it was awesome, so I bought it. Cheap and excellent game and the best game recommendation I've ever gotten.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Interesting that it won't let you buy it. Still, if you're going to go for the PC Engine mini + 8BitDo controller, I imagine it's probably cheaper to get it from Amazon Japan, especially with the yen being weaker than the US dollar, and then go get the 8BitDo from Amazon USA, where it's only $20, than to get it from ebay.

Possibly.  Ebay people today are mostly pretty inflexible jerks about stuff, but saw this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/373693725950?epid=27036963902

 

I figured maybe stop at 130 shipped as it's priority mail in the US.  It was used to test, but not to play, before selling (supposedly) which I wouldn't blame anyone for covering their ass on that place for these days.  That would basically amount to 100 on the system, 20 for the controller, 10 for the power brick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Possibly.  Ebay people today are mostly pretty inflexible jerks about stuff, but saw this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/373693725950?epid=27036963902

 

I figured maybe stop at 130 shipped as it's priority mail in the US.  It was used to test, but not to play, before selling (supposedly) which I wouldn't blame anyone for covering their ass on that place for these days.  That would basically amount to 100 on the system, 20 for the controller, 10 for the power brick.

Yeah, you'd have to check shipping from Japan. Not sure how much that would be, and you know where you live and I don't, of course, so yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, you'd have to check shipping from Japan. Not sure how much that would be, and you know where you live and I don't, of course, so yeah.

I'm in the US, I know what the shipping is as I had researched it pretty hard between UK amazon and Japan Amazon, ebay, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tanooki Although.. If you're trimming down what you own, but still want  to play Turbo games, I don't really understand why you'd bother with a Mini-emulation box, and not get an Everdrive or SSD3, etc. for your real console??? Just saying... 😛

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

That game is really damn hard, though. Excellent game and I think the second HuCARD I ever bought and my first CIB one. A friend from the Marines whose uncle has a Turbo recommended it to me and said it was awesome, so I bought it. Cheap and excellent game and the best game recommendation I've ever gotten.

Well mine was definitely complete too and minty since it was purchased retail. 'Course then, I immediately tore it all up and threw it away!! :lol: Ah memories.   

 

Regarding the difficulty.. it really gets to be a piece of shit in the later parts of the game. You just end up with big dragon sprite trying to dodge multiple bullets in limited maneuvering space and walls that hurt you. I don't think any mortal human would be able to complete it normally! Yes I'm just being melodramatic. 😛

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...