IGNORED

Connection issues 7800 on HD TV

demonamania

Hello friends -

I just recently broke out my original 7800 and hooked it up to my HD TV using a Gold-Plated Phono-to-F Adapter. When I turn the system on, the screen goes black (no snow) and has two grayish-white vertical lines that go the length of the screen. I've tried two different Gold-Plated Phono-to-F Adapter's with the same result. I've also tried analog channels 2, 3 and 4 on the TV and it only happens on channel 3 (snow on 2 and 4). Same result with or without a cartridge. Any ideas from the group? Thanks -

Not yet - it's the first time it's been hooked up in about 20 years.

I mean there is a chance you HDTV just doesn't like the resolution or output of the 7800 for some reason I guess. If you can test on another TV (SD preferably!) at least you'd know which unit is the issue.

It almost sounds like your cart isn't seated all the way (or it's dirty) as it seems you are seeing "graphics". Don't break your 7800 or anything, but make sure the cart is in all the way. Mine really need a damn good push on the carts to seat right and it's not really evident by "feel" that they're in like it is in a NES. I just have to push hard.

You could also flip the channel switch (right next to the rf out on the back) from Channel 3 to the other one (I assume it's 4, not 2) and try that channel on your TV.

Some of the other guys might have more info on HDTVs liking or not liking the 7800s signal...mine went through a VCR when I used it on an HDTV, so it was composite on the way in to the tv, not RF.

Glad you dug the 7800 out, hope you get it working!