IGNORED

Princess Quest = Awesome

My 1-man jury decision is in:

Óscar is an Intellivision beast!

Oh, and also, Princess Quest is a great game. :)

A little on the hard side: my 7-year-old played it once and then got frustrated and went upstairs to watch TV. Which was good, since that gave me more time. :)

What is the total size of the ROM?

How did you make the graphics (MOBs)? Two tiles wide and double-high, stretch-mode?

This is a masterpiece. Now that I have this to alternate with Boulder Dash (not that I ever finished Kroz), I have a full range of excuses/distractions.

Thanks!

post-31694-0-30483100-1428983504_thumb.jpg post-31694-0-88122800-1428983504_thumb.jpg post-31694-0-44137100-1428983505_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

What is the total size of the ROM?

How did you make the graphics (MOBs)? Two tiles wide and double-high, stretch-mode?

This is a masterpiece. Now that I have this to alternate with Boulder Dash (not that I ever finished Kroz), I have a full range of excuses/distractions.

I had to look back to my archives: 76288 bytes (37.25K words)

Every MOB on screen is 8x16 pixels, normal width for thin drawings and double wide for player and enemies. Bosses use 4 MOB.

Thanks everyone! :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I finally put a decent amount of playtime into this today and man it's really good and nowhere near as hard as I thought it was. A belated congrats Oscar on a fantastic game! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for us next.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I was in a mood to play some Intellivision for the past 3 days, so I decided to put in Princess Quest to give it another go. Level 4 was pretty crazy the first time I played it. I had to somehow to that level get through it and get to the end of the game. I got good at level1-3 and can get to the Lightning boss without losing a life.

Here's some updated tips,

Farm for health before the boss fight. Level 1 boss, stay on the ladder. Climb up when he approach. You can get stay and hold the fire button to get a rapid shooting and get hit by the boss once. And start climbing up and dodging the fire shots once your HP get too low.

Level 2 get the morning star and try to keep it til boss 2. Be makes sure you farm those frogs, and demons to get enough health to survive. Those red flying demons only fire one fireball, and then chase after you. One single star will pierce through the leaves that the venus flytrap boss fires at you. You may fire off phantom shots but still will register and pierce through the leaves. This is due to the boss firing off 3 leaves at a time, using your weapon shot slot for the MOB. Still awesome have it pierce through invisibly. You may get hit by nothing, so that why I suggested to farm for health first before facing this boss. You should be OK with more than 4 HP.

Level 3, find all 5 cross first before grabbing the golden armor. If you still have the mace and find the hidden triple arrow. Leave the arrows behind, just in case if you died or didn't get the cross. It'll reappear if you made the level loop. As long as you don't collect it it'll reappear if you shoot it in it invisible placement. There are few crosses that are out in the open, 3 if I recall. 2 of them have to be appear when your weapon hit their invisible hiding spot. So fire your weapon madly. The zombies and skeleton are the easiest to farm off of for health. Once you get all the +, you can check by pressing 1 and 9 at the same time. Get the Golden Armor and make a mad dash to the boss. You should be able to bring down the Lightning Armor's health down by half way once the armor wear off. Use the middle ladder. Once the armor wear off, stick with the left ladder to attempt to dodge the attack and avoiding getting hit more then once. I only lose 1 life against this boss. Without the golden armor, maybe 4 or 5 lives.

Level 4, The level is very hard that water droplet is hard to predict, but best to climb up with a platform above the ladder that is impassible. Spiders are farmable, but hard since you have to look out for boulders that are eager to steal your hearts away. There's a hidden triple arrows in the midpoint of the level on the right side. Shoot it to spawn a chest. Open it for a triple arrow power up. I don't know if there's a hidden golden armor in this level, but I don't remember. I would try to make it to the boss with this weapon instead of the boomerang. Believe it or not, triple arrow shot is a bit better than the boomerang. If you made it with the morning star from level 2, you get a golden star. Stand on the left edge of the ladder and hold the fire button. It'll refire almost immediately once it hit the boulder. 3 shots will kill the boulder. I think nanochess caught on and disable heart spawning for this version of the game when you defeated the boulder to make the boss a bit harder. ;)

Level 5 is the hardest level of the game. There's a hidden chess that have the boomerang I think 2 or 3 ladders up. The lightning is the toughest to dodge. The white ghost is the 2nd hardest to avoid and throw off trail. At least the white ghost only has 1 HP. Not a lot of chance for farming, there are spiders in this level too. So it best to hurry to the top of the level than attempt to farm. There is a golden armor in this level, the chest is out in the open if my memories aren't broken. Find it and make a mad dash to the final boss, you aren't very far from the boss once you get the golden armor. I made it to the boss with 3 lives to spare. The final boss is pretty easy once you figure out his pattern and dodge the 2 projectiles that come from the above. Defeat him for the awesome ending of the game.

Very awesome game indeed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 5

A little on the hard side

Just a little?? I think it cranks up the difficulty to "Defender." :o :O

However, that's how it seems to be in the ColecoVision version as well, so that's fine. :)

Óscar is indeed a prolific programmer, and the more experience he gets on the Intellivision platform, the better his games get. I really looking forward to the latest Sydney Hunter game. :thumbsup:

-dZ.

• Like 3

Still are some copies available of Princess Quest for Intellivision?

(Click to animate)

attachicon.gifmvi_0001.gif

No no no!!! That's all wrong. You're suppose to farm the enemies to keep the health up and avoiding getting killed by the boss. All that tips that I written is wasted. :_( ;)

I'm thinking maybe doing a play thru video of me playing the Intellivision. Of course it'll be recorded by my *NEW* 3DS, only device I can pull data off of that can record video. PSVita requires very specific software to interact with it.

Anyway, the Collectorvision website say that this game is in stock. http://collectorvision.com/shop/intellivision/princes-quest/

I think the Colecovision version of the game is also available to download in one of Pixelboy's Christmas Bulletin.

• Like 1

No no no!!! That's all wrong. You're suppose to farm the enemies to keep the health up and avoiding getting killed by the boss. All that tips that I written is wasted. :_( ;)

Oops! :dunce: I tried to found a spot but discovered I had forgot the map :grin:

I'm thinking maybe doing a play thru video of me playing the Intellivision. Of course it'll be recorded by my *NEW* 3DS, only device I can pull data off of that can record video. PSVita requires very specific software to interact with it.

That sounds cool! :) :thumbsup: