IGNORED

Choplifter Deluxe Homebrew

Stevaside

I've always daydreamed about this, from when I play it now to back to when I was a kid & felt cheated when I saw the Choplifter machine in my mall's arcade lol (I didn't know until fairly recent it's history of it being an Apple II game first & the enhanced arcade version coming later which had nothing to do with Atari)

Would this be hard to do though as a homebrew, an upgraded 7800 version that would keep the 1st mission either the same or slightly altered & then add in the additional levels? IDK just a thought I've had for a long time & was curious if anybody might have brought it up before. If I'm not mistaken I saw mention of a Donkey Kong with the missing level & possibly another title too?? Would love to see this, it's always been one of my favorites for the system, for some reason I never get sick of playing it...lot of memories of it from my childhood too. My Dad's got a home movie from the late 80's of us playing it a birthday party & my 2-3 year old brother pointing at the screen & giving all my family members on the couch a play by play hahaha

Edited by Stevaside

I've always daydreamed about this, from when I play it now to back to when I was a kid & felt cheated when I saw the Choplifter machine in my mall's arcade lol (I didn't know until fairly recent it's history of it being an Apple II game first & the enhanced arcade version coming later which had nothing to do with Atari)

Would this be hard to do though as a homebrew, an upgraded 7800 version that would keep the 1st mission either the same or slightly altered & then add in the additional levels? IDK just a thought I've had for a long time & was curious if anybody might have brought it up before. If I'm not mistaken I saw mention of a Donkey Kong with the missing level & possibly another title too?? Would love to see this, it's always been one of my favorites for the system, for some reason I never get sick of playing it...lot of memories of it from my childhood too. My Dad's got a home movie from the late 80's of us playing it a birthday party & my 2-3 year old brother pointing at the screen & giving all my family members on the couch a play by play hahaha

I love this game ad well, but also have always felt like there should be more levels.

The game certainly could use some additions considering it can be beat in like 10 minutes.

Something like a boss to beat at the end would be cool.

Would this be hard to do though as a homebrew, an upgraded 7800 version...

KevinMos3

Choplifter (Graphics Hack)

• Like 1

IDK just a thought I've had for a long time & was curious if anybody might have brought it up before. If I'm not mistaken I saw mention of a Donkey Kong with the missing level...

tep392

Donkey Kong PK (XM Enhanced)* / Donkey Kong XM (XM Only)*^

For a quick deepening, I suggest you the list of updates (incomplete):

http://atariage.com/...25#entry2795684

and the list of differences from the NES version:

http://atariage.com/...-4#entry2948054

• Like 1

Pretty cool...like what was done with the scoring menu at the top & the tanks

Thanks! I thank Marco for the HUD idea. He came up with the graphic for that and I implemented it. Marco is full of all kinds of sprite goodness. :)

I've also wanted to make the explosions more exciting, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Like 2

KevMos, I look forward to whatever else you do to improve the game.

I really dislike the audio. Ibid Inc seems to have perfected recycling 2600 audio in their 7800 conversions. The sfx are from 2600 Combat. POKEY would be the way to go but then again, the original A8/5200 and the later XEGS versions aren't much better, except the title credit theme music.

The C64's port has very weak audio. The SMS soundtrack is annoying [i don't know if there's FM buried in the cart for the Japanese SMS consoles to use]. The Sega arcade game has good music. Off the top of my head, I don't know if it was YM2151 based but if so, that might be something left for XM goodness.

You are definitely right about the explosions. The 7800 version does seem to scroll better than the NES and SMS versions, although I prefer the graphics design of the stations in those two versus the 7800 version.

What we really need is Arnold's famous line sampled and played at various times in the game… "Get to da choppa!" That and better helicopter sfx. :)