IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

Just a quick little update...

I was super happy to find one of these ADAM "arcade cabinet" boxed games! Yes, the box might not be in the best of shape, but they don't seem to come up that often and it's the only one I have and I LOVE it! That being said, if there is anyone that has the other two and would like to unload them, please send me a message! =)

IMG_8203.JPGIMG_8204.JPGIMG_8205.JPG

I really wish more video game packaging could have been this cool!!!

• Like 6

Getting a giant box of fun from Team Pixelboy always makes for an AWESOME day!

12810414_10156636578395370_1426458598_o.jpg

12789733_10156636578495370_457663148_o.jpg

I'll post more about this later once I've had a chance to unwrap everything! It's Christmas all over again! :-D :-D :-D

you are lucky man you stay like 24h away from him im at 20min and you got it first?

• Like 1

So yesterday marked my one year anniversary of finding and registering for AtariAge. I was going to post something yesterday, but I had a work event to go to which took up most of my day. What I find interesting over this past year is that while I have not met a single member from AtariAge in person, I feel like I've gotten to know quite a few of you from posting on the forums, being invited to participate in several projects, having many private discussions about loads of different topics, and not to mention the trust I put into people giving thousands of my dollars to absolute total strangers wondering if that was a good idea at the time! lol

In short, I've had an absolutely wonderful time getting to know this community and the people I've virtually met through this forum are some of the nicest strangers I've never actually met! I look forward to another year and many more to come!

I wanted to post something that would involve some of the people in this community as a "thank you" for such a great year, and while I was thinking about what to post, I remembered that people have asked me for pictures of what I've been collecting. I posted about some of my "collecting goals" in this thread, and one of them was to get as many "boxed" games from the homebrew community as possible, realizing that only getting into this hobby now meant that I had a lot..I mean a LOT of catching up to do!

I have just recently moved into a new house in December and I've been working on getting my game room organized. I decided the first thing I would organize would be my boxed homebrew games since those I feel are more important to me. The whole idea that a group of people are keeping a system alive that I thought was completely dead when I was 14 years old is still just amazing to me, and I will never EVER take that fact for granted. I appreciate EVERY SINGLE PERSON that keeps the system alive. And not just the creators of the homebrew games, but everyone. Because without the community as a whole, the homebrewers wouldn't be producing games, reproductions, hardware, etc, etc.

What I find cool about the photos below is that just about every single thing pictured, was made by someone in this community...and I think that is AWESOME!!!

Below are all the "boxed" homebrew, reproductions, and prototypes I've managed to collect over the past year. And when I say "boxed" I mean the ones that came in a box that was similar shape, size and/or design of the original ColecoVision games of the 1980s. Here goes...

Here is the whole collection. At the moment is consists of 190 unique items, some of those being variations on other items, but nothing in here is an exact "duplicate."

CV_Homebrews_1.jpg

I was going back and forth of how I wanted to organize things. Do I do a straight A-Z with ALL the games? Do I break them down by publisher? By Category? Hmm.... I sort of chose to do the last two options. We'll start with the Pixelboy games:

CV_Homebrews_2.jpg

CV_Homebrews_3.JPG

I think at this point, I've managed to collect every single Pixelboy release. I am very thankful that Luc has been able to sell me as many copies as he could of his past games, and quite a few of the members of the community had extra copies. I actually think that every single one of these titles were purchased either from Luc or directly from a member of this forum, no eBay involved! I really appreciate that!

Next up is the CollectorVision games:

CV_Homebrews_4.jpg

CV_Homebrews_5.jpg

I also think that I have every one of their games (maybe not all the variations) but I can't think of anything I am missing. Next up is what I call the "everything else" homebrew games:

CV_Homebrews_6.jpg

CV_Homebrews_7.jpg

Yes, I know there were a few of the final CollectorVision games in those last shots, but that's because there were so many of them and they spilled onto another shelf. First World Problems! lol I know there are quite a few of these that I don't have as there have been many one-offs and demos that have been given boxes over time. That being said, if there is anything I don't have, that you have an extra of or are willing to unload, please contact me! :) I'm pretty sure I have all the Opcode games, and all the PKK games. Everything else though, I'm sure I must be missing some of them.

Next up are the "Prototypes" and "Reproductions." These are the unreleased prototypes that I'm sure everyone is familiar with that have had boxes made for them over the years, and many of the re-production boxes for either games that never had them, or ones where someone wanted to create a different style for them. The items not pictured are games like "Reversi", "Astro Invader", "Terra Attack", etc since they were in plastic clamshells. They are on a different shelf and will be featured in another update. (Anyone want to make a reproduction box for those?) ;)

CV_Homebrews_8.jpg

CV_Homebrews_9.jpg

So there you have it! That's what I've been busy collecting this past year! And I love playing all these games! I look at this collection and I am in AWE of the hundreds if not thousands of hours that have gone into making everything I'm looking at, out of pure passion for a system. I spent 22 years working in video games and I'm not sure I ever found that much collective passion at ANY company I worked at. This community is just so impressive to me, it's hard for me to describe it in words.

Thank you to everyone for helping make my first year on AtariAge.... AWESOME! AMAZING! FUN! FANTASTIC! EDUCATIONAL! KICK-ASS! And many other words that don't come to mind right now! Here's to another year!

• Like 18

Nice collection.

I can see you have a horrible Bootleg of Ghost'n Zombie. :(

from what i can see , I see missing variants for Smurf Challenge , Way of Exploding foot and GameSter81 .

I had never noticed that Collectorvision Boxes were not all the same size... :-o

I love the picture of your Team-pixel boy collection! ;-) ;-) ;)

I can see you have a horrible Bootleg of Ghost'n Zombie. :(

That was actually thrown in as a "bonus" to a bunch of other stuff I was buying from someone. Guess they were looking to unload it! lol While it's certainly not my preferred method of having a game, at least I got a copy! Why was there such a small run done of this game? Was it at a time where the homebrew community wasn't as big?

I love the picture of your Team-pixel boy collection! ;-) ;-) ;)

Same! I love how all the boxes fit nicely together...except for one! Someday I will make someone an offer they can't refuse to create a Battle of Hoth box that fits in with the rest of them because it kills my OCD! :P

Thanks for the comments!

Why was there such a small run done of this game? Was it at a time where the homebrew community wasn't as big?

Long story.... But the problem will be solved soon . the new version " Knight 'n More" which ls a lot better , is coming very soon.

Same! I love how all the boxes fit nicely together...except for one! Someday I will make someone an offer they can't refuse to create a Battle of Hoth box that fits in with the rest of them because it kills my OCD! :P

Thanks for the comments!

It is exactly why i love in your picture, my game "Battle of Hoth" has a different box! :-D :-D Exactly what i wanted! ;)

A couple of weeks ago, I got something pretty cool in the mail. Intvdave has been working on a PC interface for the ADAM keyboard, and while the ADAM is still something that I have been getting back into as it's not a Coleco product I owned as a kid, but spent some time with later in my adult years when I had initially started collecting Coleco stuff the first time around, this was something of great interest to me for a number of different reasons. For one, I just love the ADAM keyboard! The feel of the keys are totally unique and quite possibly the best keyboard outside of my current Mac keyboard I've ever used. It certainly is much better than all those stock PC keyboard that come packed with Dell's, HP's or any other PC systems.

Anyway, I told Dave I was interested in the product so he sold me one of his prototypes to check out and also help him test.

adam key1.jpg

Yes, the prototype is sort of getto looking, but HEY! That's what a prototype is!!! Let's crack open that custom-made casing...

adam key 2.jpg

It's AWESOME!!! While it works just fine on my Mac and PC, at the moment, I actually have it plugged into my Raspberry Pi based RetroPie and I think using an ADAM keyboard is the PERFECT solution for a retro-based system! (and it has CoolCV & AdamEm on it, too!)

adam key 3.jpg

Thankfully, not only does the RetroPie have the ColecoVision and ADAM emulators on it, but I can also use it to play cool stuff like this...

adam key 4.jpg

That's right! Now I can play all the Infocom games, Zork, Hitchhikers Guide, and more using the ADAM keyboard!

adam key 5.jpg

Dave has also let me know that he just got in the production models of the interface. I strongly recommend picking one up. It's SERIOUSLY COOL AS HELL to be able to use an ADAM keyboard on your PC, Mac or Linux based system! Here's the details Dave gave me and I'll pass them onto you...

http://www.intellivision.us/adam_intfc/adam_intfc.php

The keyboard mappings work great, and for those keys that don't *quite* carry over (some of the Mac keys are a bit different) I can either re-map the way the keyboard keys on the Mac are laid out or use the mouse to do things like copy/paste. The keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to especially if you're used to a typical PC/Mac QWERTY keyboard, but I absolutely LOVE using the ADAM keyboard and it's worth getting used to it all over again!

Oh, and BTW, as if you would need any more proof of how well it works, I used the ADAM keyboard to type this post on my Mac!

adam key 6.jpg

Get one of these awesome interfaces from Dave!!!

• Like 4

Yay! Look what came in the mail today...
12026602_10156677526185370_732439483_n.jpg

I was really happy with the condition that it was in...
1461931_10156677526290370_1738315703_n.jpg

And now I can put the two side-by-side and it's like they match! lol
12842660_10156677526575370_969686732_o.jpg
Was there ever any explanation as to why this was the one and only Arcade Cabinet box that had the cabinet that direction, but then later changed it?

• Like 2

Great collection! I'm especially enjoying the repro box pictures, as you have some I did not know existed. I would quite like to get some of them if I can find anyone selling, most definitely the PkK ones. Thank you, I am inspired!

Where do you prefer to acquire your box protectors from? Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere already.

And now I can put the two side-by-side and it's like they match! lol

attachicon.gif12842660_10156677526575370_969686732_o.jpg

Was there ever any explanation as to why this was the one and only Arcade Cabinet box that had the cabinet that direction, but then later changed it?

Funny, the real picture of the arcade cabinet is the one on the left. The Right one is mirrored and they probably did a photo trick for the marquee to read "Mr Do" normally.

I guess they changed the orientation because all colecovision boxes had the cab oriented the other way... and apparently they didn't have the arcade machine to take a new picture with the right orientation... so they mirrored the one they had!