IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

Got another box of fun today in from Pixelboy! Luc sent me an email after he saw my post about why aren't there some reproduction boxes of some of the other "plastic clamshell" games and apparently, there were! I'm very thankful that he sold me his personal collection of these games as it most certainly helps round out my collection of traditionally boxed titles.

1.jpg2.jpg

Most of these games were either published by AtariAge or I believe self-published by the authors, but most of them came in plastic clam-shell cases, sort of like an old-school VHS tape case. It's nice and all that they were released in that format, not complaining one bit, but there are some of us who prefer the same size/shape of box that the original ColecoVision library came in so that these all will fit on the shelf nicely together.

3.jpg4.jpg

Great looking boxes! I'm not sure how many of these were made, but maybe someday if any of these games ever get re-released again, the choice would be to go with some of these style boxes instead of the original clamshells, which looked like this:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

And here's a side-by-side:

8.jpg

Thanks again to Pixelboy for being an enabler to my addiction! :)

• Like 3

So this weeks items was a little harder to find and it's taken me a little while, but I finally managed to get...

dkadam1.jpg

ALL THREE ADAM ARCADE BOXES!!!

I happened to be browsing the European ColecoVision/ADAM eBay listings and I saw the DK and DKJR pop up! (I had already gotten the Zaxxon one a couple of months ago...) And as you can see, these are actually the French releases...

dkadam2.jpg

Last I remembered checking, I don't think these were listed in any sort of rarity guide so I have no clue how "rare" a French release of these two ADAM boxes would be, but to be honest, I sort of didn't care because I just wanted them as i feel this is some of the BEST VIDEO GAME PACKAGING EVER MADE!!! Here is the backs of the boxes...

dkadam3.jpg

And as you can see, it has the French sticker on the back as well...

dkadam4.jpg

The Donkey Kong DDP next to the box. The tape casing itself isn't localized at all...

dkadam5.jpg

However the DKJR one I got did come with instructions (unfortunately none with the DK)....

dkadam6.jpg

dkadam7.jpg

And again the DKJR box and DDP....

dkadam8.jpg

Of course I had to take a picture of the Arcade cabinet box next to my actual Donkey Kong arcade cabinet! :)

dkadam9.jpg

Seriously, though, I love these!!! I don't often collect stuff to have it "sit on the shelf" because I actually do like to play all my games, but these IMO are most certainly "shelf pieces." Part of the bummer about the ADAM being so short-lived is it would have been really nice to see more of these become available. I would LOVE to have had a "Dragon's Lair" arcade game box! Who wants to homebrew that one? =)

Until next time...

• Like 6

I have added a thread index to the first post of this thread to make it easier to find some of the past updates I've posted.

I also realized that I never posted a link to the gallery of images I scanned from the ColecoVision press kit I received a few months back, so here it is: http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/1495-colecovision-press-kit/

Wish my game room was big enough for an arcade cabinet. Jealous you got those 3 ADAM arcade boxes :P

I will at some point do a post about the Donkey Kong machine. I just got it about a month ago and it was a very interesting project. But story for another time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So today some new hotness came in the mail to the tune of FIVE new ColecoVision games from CollectorVision! Yup, FIVE! I've been slacking on doing reviews lately, and trust me, I have a LOT I need to get done, but here's a quick look at the five games and even some video of three of them!

Here they are in all their glory! Fairly wide selection of games, too. We've got a hard core shooter, platform game, platform/shooting game, racing, etc. Love the packaging from classic ColecoVision box fronts to CBS games to some new original artwork!

IMG_2869.JPG

And gotta love the wide variety of cart colors! Star Soldier is sort of a silver/grey, Hang On is multi-colored red & black, Jumpland is yellow, SASA is all red, and Drol is...well.... "classic" black! lol

IMG_3001.JPG

I've only managed to play three of them so far (check out the video at the end), but I'll give you a short run down of all five....

IMG_2870.JPGScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.52.23.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.52.38.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.52.51.png

Star Soldier is a great shooter! This game comes from Hudson Soft which is famous for loads of Nintendo NES games! And playing Star Soldier with an F18a ColecoVision almost makes your CV feel more like the visual quality of an NES combined with the additional sound of the SGM makes this game awesome! Fast paced shooter and something that I'm glad the ColecoVision has quite a few of now as it was sorely lacking in this department in the 80s.

IMG_2871.JPG

As you can see from the manual, there is plenty of stuff to shoot at in Star Soldier!

IMG_2874.JPG

I love the multi-colored cart! Super cool!

IMG_2875.JPGhang on 3.jpghang on 2.jpghang on.jpg

I have not had a chance to play this version of the game yet, but I'm familiar with the arcade and if you're a racing fan, this is most certainly a game you'll need to pick up!

EDIT: Got a chance to play it! Ok, it's pretty hard, BUT once I was able to learn that I need to stay at top speed for most of the time and then figure out when to apply acceleration & brake at just the right time, I made it trough a good portion of the game after only just a couple of tries.

IMG_2876.JPGScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.51.15.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.51.34.png

Jump Land is another one I haven't had the chance to play yet. But the game looks simple enough with quite a few levels!

EDIT: Played a bit today. While it's not my favorite game, it's a cute, quirky little game that really does remind me of the platform sections of Zoo Keeper. A little difficult to control, but some decent variety in there.

IMG_2873.JPGScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.53.24.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.53.39.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.53.52.png
SASA is a hard game! I gotta be honest, the first couple of times I played it, I wasn't a fan because I felt like I just kept dying. But once you figure out the fairly wacky controls of the character (you have to shoot in the opposite direction of where you want your character to move to get him to thrust around the screen) and then also figure out what to do on each level (destroying the door on level 1 wasn't the most intuitive thing right off the bat), this game has lots of different variety to it and can offer some good fun!

IMG_2872.JPGScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.51.50.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.52.00.png

Drol is a game I used to play all the time on the Commodore 64 and it's sort of a quirky platform/shooter game that sort of reminds me of games like Keystone Kapers or The Heist. The graphics are colorful and the sprites look good. Music is also very good if not a little repetitive. It's a fun little shooter and it's actually really nice to see another classic Broderbund game ported to the ColecoVision!

Here's a short video of three of the games:

EDIT: Was able to play the other two today. Here's some video:

And if you'd like to order any of these, contact coleco_master or visit THIS thread!

• Like 7

Thank you for posting the videos and your impression on these games. I wasn't sure which games I want to get from this wave. I'm thinking of getting Star Soldier. Drol and SASA looks interesting to play and maybe will get. I'm not a fan of racing genre, Hang-on. Jump Land is interesting.

Man that was a lot of work... THANK YOU!

Thanks for all your hard work! The km/h in Hang-On (II) especially in bends are very... optimistic. :-D

Thank you! More coming soon. I have a whole box of Pixelboy games I still need to cover in more detail!

That reminds me, I was going to ask if there were any games in particular anyone wanted to see more coverage or reviews of?

For pixelboy's game, I would suggest Majikazo, and Caos Begin. Those 2 games are pretty unknown and original. They are really good and I am having a good time with these 2 games. I did get through Majikazo once, but got the false ending. I'm working on completing every room to get the other ending. Caos Begin is fairly long game. I haven't completed it yet, I was missing 4 of the items and 2 weapons. I think I was almost to the end of the game before I died. It has really good graphic and music. I love to explore each screen and getting item or weapon to get to the next area or reach a new item. It is like Metroid, where you have to find items/weapon to progress through the game.

GRRR... gotta sell some other stuff fast (Atari? Commodore?) to buy Hang-On and Drol before they're sold out.

I can't believe the quality of some of these games--if they had come out in the Coleco's heydey, I'm certain that Hang-On would have been responsible for selling tens of thousands more ColecoVision units. It's an A+ title, for sure.

Ever since we got our Donkey Kong machine, our 9 year old daughter has been playing and getting better and better. She's really good at the first two screens...still working on getting better at the last two! But when she can clear the first screen like this, it's a "Proud Dad" moment for a retro-gamer! ;) Especially considering that 9-year olds today mostly just play games on their iPads, XBOXs, etc and probably wouldn't know what to do when sat in front of a 1981 Donkey Kong machine! lol

• Like 3

Good for her! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work dad. Its up to our generation to pass on the classics. :-D

Thanks! That's kind of the plan. At the moment she likes the DK games, the Pac Mans, and oddly enough Marble Madness! I figure we'll work our way up to games like Burgertime, Mappy, and Dig Dug a bit later...