IGNORED

Mystery 2600 Sega Cart

Crimefighter

I'm forwarding the pictures over here to see if anyone can figure out what this might be. This came from a FB group I'm following, the poster of these pics is not a registered user of the forums that I know of so I have not included his name.

"Ok listen to this story!!! I have a listing on Craigslist that I collect video games. So I get a call lastnight from this older guy (69 years old) we get to talking and he tells me he use to work for sega in the mid 80's. He says sega was working on a project that was later canceled they though away all the carts but he saved one he thinks this is the only one left in the world. So he sent me pics of it to see if I knew anything about it if I thought it was worth anything. Well I have no clue what it is my guess is it's for a master system from the square look of it. Anyway if anyone knows anything about this please share."

Now this is outta Louisiana and I'm way way up north so I don't know much more than this. I'm gonna post the pics of this cart, and Tempest or anyone else can tell me if this is something new or not -- it has not been plugged into a 2600.

post-4450-0-05436500-1429326826_thumb.jpg

post-4450-0-61060900-1429326834_thumb.jpg

post-4450-0-96936000-1429326839_thumb.jpg

post-4450-0-75619000-1429326846_thumb.jpg

So tell the guy to plug it into his Atari and show us some screen grabs. From the looks of it appears to be a commercial game but stranger things have happened.

EDIT: I googled the numbers on the mask ROM. Did not turn up anything useful. Potential Gold Mine?

Edited by stardust4ever

Can we deduce the game based on the codes printed on the chip?

Not unless you crack open one each and even then it is not guaranteed, due to different factories being used back then. I cracked open a Tac-Scan earlier and it actually said tacscan on the mask ROM. Best bet would be for Al to go through the pile he used for Ixion, if he still has them. Even easier would be to just plug the damn thing in and test it. :P

• Like 1

Not unless you crack open one each and even then it is not guaranteed, due to different factories being used back then. I cracked open a Tac-Scan earlier and it actually said tacscan on the mask ROM. Best bet would be for Al to go through the pile he used for Ixion, if he still has them. Even easier would be to just plug the damn thing in and test it. :P

So it's not like Nintendo where there is a very obvious game code printed on the mask ROM (assuming they're not glob-tops) and an equally obvious matching game code printed on the cartridge itself, and said codes can be easily researched using an online database with detailed documentation of every PCB board?

No such comprehensive resource exists for Atari?

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/

Well the issue was, he didn't have the physical cart, and the seller didn't have a 2600. *shrug*

So bring it to someone who does, just like we did with that Frankenstein's Monster cart a while back. It had an orange label on it that said "NEW RELEASE" and netiehr I or the person who owned it had any clue what it was... so we brought it to my place and tested it.

• 3 weeks later...