IGNORED

Mr. Do?

thegamezmaster

Mr Do is pretty much my favorite CV game. If its released for 5200 I'll be stoked!! Would love a cart of that!

FYI: for anyone who wants the ultimate in Mr Do action, it was actually released on the SNES as well. You're welcome.

And covered recently on my podcast with Willie. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I really didn't like the SNES version as much, I thought the gamepad moved to unwieldy and I could not seem to play it well. I thought the graphics looked nice however and sounds was very good.

Perhaps a joystick would work better for me, I will have to try that one out again.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The 8 bit version is really good, and the SNES version is incredible, but I prefer the music on the CV version, which actually is the music from the arcade PROTOTYPE, rather than the released arcade game.

As much as I love the 2600, I personally feel that version doesn't hold a candle to the one on CV, like most (all?) games shared on those platforms.

Grew up with the ColecoVision version and it has a special place in my heart. However, what always annoyed me with it back in the day, and in more recent times, is acquiring the bonus food item in the center, although results in the 'standard' enemies always freezing, the 'Alpha Monster' plus additional 'Monsters' do not appear on the screen, if you have already obtained the letter.

That is a rather large gameplay difference, contrary to the Arcade, where the additional monsters always come out, regardless if it is a letter you had already acquired.

Coming back to the ColecoVision port years later in the mid-late 90's, I realized how choppy Mr. Do! moved in the scene. He doesn't travel as smoothly as he does in the Arcade version or under the computer ports.

The ColecoVision port is also (unsurprisingly) missing all 'Intermission' screens.

Having two pretty major and one relatively minor shortcomings under the ColecoVision port, it leaves the Atari 8-bit or the C64 as being the best. I'm not considering 16-bit or newer ports which I would sure hope would shine - SNES indeed does, FWIW.

Anyhow, in both ports, Mr. Do! glides beautifully throughout the scene, just like the Arcade, and graphically both ports look very good. All monsters are present and enter the screen regardless of letters already acquired; again, just like the Arcade.

However, the difference between the two computer ports, resulting in the 8-bit winning over the C64, is the much better sounding background melody; POKEY truly clobbers SID here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYuo1K86UHg

The only really outstanding thing (being very minor too), both the C64 and 8-bit port miss compared to the Arcade, is the "Congratulations" intermission after 10 scenes are beaten; thankfully, they do provide the one after every 3 scenes are conquered. ColecoVision's port, again and always, a soft spot in my heart; but having the above 8-bit port brought over to the 5200 console will be killer.

• Like 4

I really didn't like the SNES version as much, I thought the gamepad moved to unwieldy and I could not seem to play it well. I thought the graphics looked nice however and sounds was very good.

Perhaps a joystick would work better for me, I will have to try that one out again.

The only issue I have with the SNES version is that it was difficult (impossible?) to tip an apple out into a lane partway.

For me, that made a huge diffrence on how I play the game.

• Like 2

The only issue I have with the SNES version is that it was difficult (impossible?) to tip an apple out into a lane partway.

Agreed with the above. The SNES has the speed and movement of Mr. Do down nicely, but you should be able to give the apple one more little nudge to allow it to block the lane partially. The SNES always allows the monsters to "wedge" into the same row as the apple and Mr. Do!

The ColecoVision port is the flip side of this, coupled with the slower, choppy moving Mr. Do!, you could bump the apple a couple of times into the lane until it practically looked ridiculous not to drop.

For me, that made a huge diffrence on how I play the game.

Me too. In fact, that's my first line of offense (and defense), heading straight for the apples and stacking the monsters.

The difficulty overall is bumped up under the SNES as well. The monsters' behavior and aggression is more like the start of Scene 11 in the Arcade, as opposed to Scene 1.

Anyhow, here are the three versions mentioned, and their respective spots to how far you can move the apple prior to dropping:

post-18-0-15683000-1432417207_thumb.pngpost-18-0-52163700-1432416663_thumb.pngpost-18-0-13321700-1432416667_thumb.png

Remember the wacky Neo-Geo version? Who could forget?

post-18-0-96949300-1432417897_thumb.png

;)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...