IGNORED

Do you console game or PC game and why?

Now I'm not one of those "PC MASTER RACE" guys as I've been gaming on consoles and handhelds all my life but I have now(well some months ago) realized that PC is the way to go for modern games(aside from the Wii and Wiiu :-D ) Here's why I enjoy console gaming over the likes of the PS3/PS4/X360X1

1.95% of the games on the PS3/PS4/X360/X1 are on PC with(usually) the same gameplay but with better graphics(not that graphics make the game,but if I wanna play say Mortal Kombat X,why not the one with the best graphics and usually gameplay?) and mods.

2.for the console exclusive games(excluding the Nintendo ones),there is a just as good,if not better PC exclusive.I know this is opinionated but so far I have found this to be true except for obviously the Nintendo exclusives.

3.10 years down the line when that new Mortal Kombat game or new GTA game comes out,you have to buy the new Sony Microsoft or Nintendo console just to play it as the game will more than likely not be made the said system while with your PC,you can just upgrade the graphics card and bam,you can play it,Some not so graphic demanding games can be still be able to run with no upgrades to the console.

4.You can use any controller you want with any game you want.Wanna play GTA V with a Gamecube controller, Sega all stars racing transformed with a Saturn controller, Plants VS. zombies with a 7800 controller, or Tekken Tag tournament 2 with a Jaguar controller?.you can with a PC while with a consoles you're stuck with the default controller(unless you have Cronusmax device that allows you to take the controller of any 7th or 8th gen console and interchange them which still doesn't give you that many options)

5.Games are cheaper.I don't really buy digital games as I prefer my games physical but as far as digital games,they are much cheaper.I can't say if physical games are cheaper but I would assume they are similarly priced online

Hook up your PC to your flatscreen TV, have it auto boot to Steam, put in your favorite games,add your favorite controller and you have an even better console experience.e right there..Now don't get me wrong,I LOVE consoles and if you give me a modern console, I can play it all day no problem but PC beats them(aside from the Wii and Wiiu and only then for exclusives) in almost every way so which do you prefer,console gaming or PC gaming?

Edited by TheObscureGamer

I play both. My PC is starting to get old now, but I use it mainly for FPS and Point and Click Adventure games because I like the keyboard/mouse control for those kind of games. I have tried many other types of games on my PC over the years and even with a 360 controller, I find it often more a hassle than the general ease of flicking on a console and playing a game on my TV.

1.) For me, I find I get a lot of eye strain from being closer to my monitor rather than on my couch and gaming on my TV, graphic wise it may be better, but comfort will often trump what little edge the PC has. And I don't have the space for a PC in my living room (besides my media box that I run Kodi on)

2.) I don't keep up with a lot of PC exclusive titles, any examples? I haven't heard of any PC exclusive titles that would draw people in.

3.) buying a quality graphics card can be just as expensive as buying a new console, plus not having any warranty (if you build yourself) and many more possible parts that will need to be replace/upgraded along the way, means that it can really go either way. Also, I think we are at a point where hardware shouldn't need replacing every 5 years as some games are taking just as long to make, I mean, If you look at the PS3 library, there aren't that many games that REALLY pushed the boundaries of what the system could do.

4.) While that IS an option, you still need to buy the right USB controller cables to do this. some of them are terrible to configure. PC does have more options though.

5.) Digital games are generally about the same price, I find (though I haven't compared much) . however, Steam and GOG do have some amazing sales.

Like I said, I play on both for different reasons. I also tend to change by seasons. My basement (where my PC is) is cold in the winter and cool in the summer. so it's better to play PC games in the summer. My living room is warm in the winter and hot in the summer so it's better to play consoles in the winter.

There are some games I play on the PC, although I don't bother with the latest AAA type titles since my computer can't handle them, and/or I'm simply not interested in them. I do tend to do most of my gaming on consoles though. In the past the reasons use to be just because I expected the games I bought to Just Work out of the box. Something that wouldn't normally be the case on the PC. With the PS3/360 generation though, that's not even the case on the consoles. (get game, potential required install, wait for bug patch downloads, still find bugs, etc.)

I'm not likely to go out and buy a 2000 dollar PC rig in hopes of playing modern PC titles, and getting me to go to the next gen with consoles is going to be a pretty big sell for Sony. (Nothing Microsoft can do to make me buy their latest offering.)

I play both. My PC is starting to get old now, but I use it mainly for FPS and Point and Click Adventure games because I like the keyboard/mouse control for those kind of games. I have tried many other types of games on my PC over the years and even with a 360 controller, I find it often more a hassle than the general ease of flicking on a console and playing a game on my TV.

1.) For me, I find I get a lot of eye strain from being closer to my monitor rather than on my couch and gaming on my TV, graphic wise it may be better, but comfort will often trump what little edge the PC has. And I don't have the space for a PC in my living room (besides my media box that I run Kodi on)

2.) I don't keep up with a lot of PC exclusive titles, any examples? I haven't heard of any PC exclusive titles that would draw people in.

3.) buying a quality graphics card can be just as expensive as buying a new console, plus not having any warranty (if you build yourself) and many more possible parts that will need to be replace/upgraded along the way, means that it can really go either way. Also, I think we are at a point where hardware shouldn't need replacing every 5 years as some games are taking just as long to make, I mean, If you look at the PS3 library, there aren't that many games that REALLY pushed the boundaries of what the system could do.

4.) While that IS an option, you still need to buy the right USB controller cables to do this. some of them are terrible to configure. PC does have more options though.

5.) Digital games are generally about the same price, I find (though I haven't compared much) . however, Steam and GOG do have some amazing sales.

Like I said, I play on both for different reasons. I also tend to change by seasons. My basement (where my PC is) is cold in the winter and cool in the summer. so it's better to play PC games in the summer. My living room is warm in the winter and hot in the summer so it's better to play consoles in the winter.

1.Hook up your PC to your TV via HDMI and have it boot up to Steam or whatnot and it's just as simple good as a console and no more eye strain.

2.Gauntlet, Civilization beyond Earth, Dayz, Cyberpunk 2077, Wargames red dragon, Assetto Corsa., Starcfrat 2, Might and Magic X, Wastland 2, Unreal Tournament, Total war Warhammer, amongest others(these are mostly ones you've probably heard of but there are tons more AA and AAA titles on PC than there are on consoles(opinionated but I believe so aside from the Nintendo exclusives).

3. You can get a graphics card that's just as good as consoles.I got a graphics card for around $130(usually runs about $200) and it runs games like Crysis 3, Battlefiend 4, Bioshock Infinite etc on max graphics on what about 60FPS wihich is twice the speed of consoles.In the future it could go anyway though...

4.From the 10+ USB controllers that I have all of them work perfectly.

Again nothing wrong with consoles as I like em also but PC's are usually better in every aspect

Edited by TheObscureGamer

I'm going to install some games (half life 2, quake 4, doom 3 etc.) on my 11" macbook air, does that count?

I prefer to play those games with mouse + keyboard. Just like syndicate, which I run through dosbox.

For games that can be played on a normal controller, I prefer consoles.

I guess that if you want the best video quality, a PC is the way to go. But I would not like to go through the process of choosing components (what memory, processor, graphics card etc.).

Edited by roland p

Both, but I use my PC much more often simply because I feel more comfortable gaming on a mouse and keyboard and I like the options of being able to improve graphics and add mods.

Plus, I simply have more games for the PC.

I also have a big bunch of consoles that I use as well, just not as often as the PC though. If I use the consoles its usually a retro system like the Mega Drive or SNES, but I do have a PS4, PS3 and 360 which I sometimes use for modern games.

The most modern games I play are Brutal Doom and Black Mesa, both of which are mods or enhancements of much older games. And they're on my PC. I also do a lot of Tecmo Super Bowl hacking/playtesting, also on PC.

Otherwise, I sneak in a few games on whatever classic console or computer I happen to have out at the time.

The upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront game may finally force me to buy a current-gen console for the first time since the Wii, though.

I grew up on console games but then throughout high school and some college I got into a lot of competitive LAN play for CS and Quake 3 (before Steam torpedoed that community in my area) so I ended up mostly gaming there for years and being general terrible at RTSes and other strategy games between FPS binges and EQ time sinks.

Now that I've got kids I tend to play on consoles as it fits my life well. I can grab my girls and relax with a controller or hand it off to my son and let him run around while I go make dinner or whatever. Arguments about interfaces, peripherals, resomolutions, backwards compatibility, etc I tend to grant to PCs but consoles provide me fun that fits my life. I also spend all day at work staring at terminals so it's nice to not relax with a keyboard and monitor these days.

1. 95% of the time it's on a pre-crash console (or flashback unit)

2. 4% of the time it's something from GOG.com on PC

3. 1% of the time it's something else (Master System, PS2, Wii, other PC game).

So for me, I guess console. I've swung back and forth over the decades, I just don't play many games these days... when I do it's almost always console.

PC gaming is still #1 and then PS4, I have both hooked up to an LCD TV although I'm picking up a gaming monitor soon and will have both hooked up to that.

I play the Wii U now and then, not as much as I want to. Same can be said for everything else I own.

I have huge backlogs and just dont have the time for everything, machines go on the active and inactive lists all the time.

Currently Active:

SNES, PS2, Atari 7800

Even though I like consoles a lot and have a lot of them I'm a "computer" gamer for sure. It's what I mostly played in the mid to late 80's with the C64 and in the 90's with an IBM PC.

I've always wobbled back and forth but consistently keep up to speed with both except for the latest console generation. Everyone wants to worry about problems or warranty issues with PCs but after going through 4 Xbox 360s, you just kinda luck out or you don't. There are fruits to both sides of the universe and if you're really a gamer, you'll love both. If I were to buy a console, it would be a PS4 but I'm not sure if or when I'll do that. My PC rig is where its at these days and running the absolute latest hardware is a dream compared to what it used to be like just to keep up with PSX-like graphics back in the late 90s. Then again, those cards were a few hundred bucks... now we're talking like $600 for the video card alone haha... even then, still cheaper than a 3DO, am I right? ;-)

3440 x 1440 resolution is beautiful to play in I should add... no console can do that.

• Like 1

I've always wobbled back and forth but consistently keep up to speed with both except for the latest console generation. Everyone wants to worry about problems or warranty issues with PCs but after going through 4 Xbox 360s, you just kinda luck out or you don't. There are fruits to both sides of the universe and if you're really a gamer, you'll love both. If I were to buy a console, it would be a PS4 but I'm not sure if or when I'll do that. My PC rig is where its at these days and running the absolute latest hardware is a dream compared to what it used to be like just to keep up with PSX-like graphics back in the late 90s. Then again, those cards were a few hundred bucks... now we're talking like $600 for the video card alone haha... even then, still cheaper than a 3DO, am I right? ;-)

3440 x 1440 resolution is beautiful to play in I should add... no console can do that.

By measurement of how many current games I can play reasonably well for the money I think stuff is a lot cheaper now that it used to be. There seems to be a much larger variety on the high end, but I'd say the mid range and lower end hardware is much more capable than it used to be. But yeah if you are shooting for the high end it's just so much more expensive than a 350USD box I plug into my TV and go.

The perfect combination for me is a Wii U and PC. Between Nintendo exclusives and cheap games on Steam I've got more games than I have time to play.

I've only returned to PC gaming in the last few months after several years of mostly console gaming. I'm also using the PC like a console sometimes by connecting it to the TV and using a Xbox 360 controller.

The Wii U will probably get a lot of use this weekend because of the Mario Kart DLC released yesterday. Then again I'm downloading Skyrim right now so I might get hooked on that. Also need to spend some time on the 2600 too.

• Like 1

Console gaming. Nothing like relaxing on a big beanbag seat with a cold beer. Having numerous choices deciding which do I want to play. Especially my modded xbox. Have all the emulators and all the roms installed as well. I'm all set. Also more fun to team up with someone next to you duking it out and trash talking on multiplayer games.

Console gaming here.

I don't have to spend $100 every couple years to buy some upgraded graphics card to play the latest and greatest games, is just one of the reasons. (It's reason enough as I once spent $125+ just to play a PC game I bought) I prefer to buy a game that I know will quickly function with my system because every game is specifically made to run on that system.

Edited by moycon
  • Like 1

Lately I find myself enjoying handhelds more than console or PC, with handheld systems you're not stuck playing games in one place, you can enjoy handheld gaming in any room in the house or even take it outside. Sure handheld systems might not be as powerful as say a PS4 or gaming PC but the 3DS and Vita are still way more advanced than anything I grew up with.

Also systems like the Game Boy, Game Gear, and of course the Lynx are highly collectable and very affordable to collect for, collecting handheld cartridges almost feels like collecting trading cards, and their doesn't seem to be as much attention on handheld collecting versus retro console collecting so I generally find better deals on games.

• Like 1

PC Gaming for me.

I just had to much ~stuff~ Consoles and games everywhere, 95% of which I could play on my PC. I don't have anything against consoles and still like them quite a bit (and there are a bunch of games console only that I like) but most of the time I'm messing around on my computer anyway.

• Like 1

I game on both consoles and computers and enjoy both equally. I started out with consoles, but because of the video game crash and desire to play the latest and greatest games, I started to include computer games into the mix and have gamed on both consoles and computers since. The majority of my gaming these days is at my computer desk, with both my gaming PC and Xbox One hooked up to a 24" BenQ gaming monitor.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

Prefer consoles and by a very wide margin. Enjoy and appreciate the simpler usage aspect and superior controllers that require no putzing around with configuring, etc.

Only "PC" gaming I do anymore include:

Amiga

TI-99/4A

C64

...and the Bally Professional Computer - that counts, right? :lol:

I consider myself a PC gamer but I also play games on a console. In fact in each generation I gone back and forth between either a new PC update or a new console. Two reasons I got an Xbox 360: A.) My friends are on XBLA and not Steam & B.) Some PC ports play like crap due to sloppy coding and/or DRM...in fact i refuse to play any Ubisoft game that uses Uplay. But most of the time the Xbox is used for Netflix...

For this generation, I decided to skip the console and upgrade my PC to the same specs as the XB1/PS4. Not only would I get 1080p gaming but still keep my older games since no console supports backwards compatiblity. (Sorry, no Nintendo systems here). I figured I can use a cheap Steambox to play my PC games on a big screen TV and get a used PS3 for playing Netflix & BluRay movies.

However...Microsoft came out with a version of Windows that doesn't suck but streams Xbox One games on a PC. Now that changes everything! So now after setting up my in-home network I can play both PC & console games either in my office (gaming PC) or bedroom (Xbox systems). As for my Xbox 360, i invested too much money in those to sell off at a very low value GameStop wants. So I can hook my old 360 in the back of the Xbox One and buy a used 360 E model for watching Netflix in my office.

In other words, I play PC & console games equally...

• Like 2

I'm actually almost exclusively handheld now days. Whats not to like? It's sufficiently powerful enough to run anything that will be bothered to be ported, but not advanced enough to be the guineapig that pca nd consoles are, it basically does all the best games from yesteryear, but are all now much more refined. I can play it on the can, in bed, on the couch, on break at work. As of yet, zero "updating, patching, expansions" issues that have really soured the console waters in the last few years. And as near as I can tell, the only stable and reliable devices.

Used to love consoles (well, still do, older ones) but that was because there wasn't all this upgrading, expansion, bug ridden crap, you bought a game, and expected it to work, and work well, offline. And it would work reliably till it's successor came out and you got that. Now the consoles themselves are buggy messes, unreliable, have to be updated every few minutes, make MAJOR changes to their os....and we haven't even gotten into putting a game in, which you do, first thing you do is download a titanic patch, then update the game every other day, and if your lucky, you get about half of the game, the rest to be delivered in several $20 chunks over the next year. I won't even bother with a game I know is going to be big anymore. Just let the beta players play it, and pick up the completed version a year down the road (it's not so bad at that point, but used to, you didn't have to wait)

PC, since the early/mid 90's has almost been exclusively an emulation box for me. I've tried to play PC games, but even with the reduction in graphics, I simply like the more stable console version better, and they support real controllers. I don't know how many PC games I've tried setting up to use comfortably, but pretty much all have failed. Yeah, supposedly the newest games can be played using real controllers, but there's always something missing (no stackable controls, oh you want to reload weapons, pick up weapons and open doors with the same button, oh hell no) Of course, now my PC can't run the newest stuff anymore. Oh, and god damned being locked onto the internet.

I'm actually almost exclusively handheld now days. Whats not to like? It's sufficiently powerful enough to run anything that will be bothered to be ported, but not advanced enough to be the guineapig that pca nd consoles are, it basically does all the best games from yesteryear, but are all now much more refined. I can play it on the can, in bed, on the couch, on break at work. As of yet, zero "updating, patching, expansions" issues that have really soured the console waters in the last few years. And as near as I can tell, the only stable and reliable devices.

Used to love consoles (well, still do, older ones) but that was because there wasn't all this upgrading, expansion, bug ridden crap, you bought a game, and expected it to work, and work well, offline. And it would work reliably till it's successor came out and you got that. Now the consoles themselves are buggy messes, unreliable, have to be updated every few minutes, make MAJOR changes to their os....and we haven't even gotten into putting a game in, which you do, first thing you do is download a titanic patch, then update the game every other day, and if your lucky, you get about half of the game, the rest to be delivered in several $20 chunks over the next year. I won't even bother with a game I know is going to be big anymore. Just let the beta players play it, and pick up the completed version a year down the road (it's not so bad at that point, but used to, you didn't have to wait)

PC, since the early/mid 90's has almost been exclusively an emulation box for me. I've tried to play PC games, but even with the reduction in graphics, I simply like the more stable console version better, and they support real controllers. I don't know how many PC games I've tried setting up to use comfortably, but pretty much all have failed. Yeah, supposedly the newest games can be played using real controllers, but there's always something missing (no stackable controls, oh you want to reload weapons, pick up weapons and open doors with the same button, oh hell no) Of course, now my PC can't run the newest stuff anymore. Oh, and god damned being locked onto the internet.

The only thing I don't like about mobile or handhelds is that you can't, in most cases, just easily jack it into an HDMI port on your TV and play on the big screen, when the time comes to when you actually don't want to stare down at the screen but instead lounge and look up at an actual TV. Out of curiosity, which handheld are you referring to?

Console only here also. Though I have lots of great memories of old PC games (Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia, SimCity, Day of the Tentacle, etc), I've always been a console gamer at heart. The only computer game I play nowadays is Civ V.