IGNORED

Shades of things to come....DEFENDER!

NIKON

That is one sweet looking defender game! Ya know a Bob game, just kind of has his signature just looking at it. Other than then being so accurate, I think it might be the option screens but there is just something about his games that look uniquely his, bravo for using this medium to express his art.

Thanks guys, for posting the videos. I actually gave a shout out to RT in the second video's description, as I remember he wanted the big explosion in the 'Defender II' hack. :)

Anyway, there hasn't been an update because I'm having issues with the scanner area. I'm a little nervous about the humanoids as well, and may attempt them with tiles instead of sprites. :(

still going though...

• Like 11

I'm not a big Defender fan (don't get the pitchforks out yet, I like it, just don't love it) but am always happy to see another solid game getting developed for the 7800!

I'd buy it. I'm thinking of all the "free" plays I'll get. That's alot of quarters saved. ;-)

Thanks guys, for posting the videos. I actually gave a shout out to RT in the second video's description, as I remember he wanted the big explosion in the 'Defender II' hack. :)

Anyway, there hasn't been an update because I'm having issues with the scanner area. I'm a little nervous about the humanoids as well, and may attempt them with tiles instead of sprites. :(

still going though...

Thanks. I can't reply at YouTube because I don't have a Google+ account. Looks like Google can't compete with Facebook fairly, so they pathetically try to force people to use Google+. I refuse to be bullied into using it.

• Like 1

Thanks. I can't reply at YouTube because I don't have a Google+ account. Looks like Google can't compete with Facebook fairly, so they pathetically try to force people to use Google+, so I refuse to use it.

I use none of the above. Just hotmail and atariage. I can't find my icq number.. Just don't believe in these newfangaled guinea pig projects.((ok buying more tinfoil for my hat(need another layer))

Looks promising. I hope the final version will have the proper screen-spanning enemy explosions and player shot effect.

Can't do either unfortunately :( - Too many things on the screen at a time.

Regarding the shot, the wider it gets (as it's moving across the screen), the more MARIA time it uses, which means less and less objects that can be in the same zone.

As far as the enemy explosions, same issue. I have to take the worst case scenario and assume there are other enemies on the screen. In order for the player explosion to happen, you'll notice I have to remove the other enemies (which doesn't happen in the arcade version) otherwise the games would crash.

Also, what I had to do was actually reduce the number of on-screen enemies to 8 (from 16) and the number of on-screen shots to 8 (also from 16) because once I started putting the scanner blips on, the game became unstable.

So now the player explosion has 8 particles coming from it instead of 16. :(

I'm not saying it's impossible (although I have a feeling it might be... which makes me wonder if that's why GCC and/or Atari weren't so quick to put this one out on this platform). If anyone has an idea on how to accomplish this, I'm all ears. ;)

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 4

Can't do either unfortunately :( - Too many things on the screen at a time.

I certainly understand the reasons. Still, the particle explosions and that solid-line shot are such a big part of Defender's visual identity, it seems like preserving them should be worth a few technical sacrifices, be it flicker or using character-based effects. Even the NES version of Defender managed to do particle explosions.

Looking forward to seeing how Defender's distinctive color cycling effects look on the 7800.

Hi guys:

Could you do a bit-mapped display with the XM RAM? You could do explosions, shots, terrain in the bitmap. Would there be enough Maria time to do the ship and enemies?

Looking forward to seeing how Defender's distinctive color cycling effects look on the 7800.

Hmm... Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but wouldn't bitmapped mode for this type of game take *more* Maria time? Now you're writing information *each scan line* instead of each zone? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, but the only work I've done with this mode is my demo of Battlezone.

(Not sure what happened with the quoting function up there.) :ponder:

Doesn't robotron have a lot of objects moving around? Would it be possible to glean something from that?

Yes, but it doesn't have a character mode where the objects are, I do (for the mountains). I always figured that's why the 'box' isn't around the playfield like the arcade version.