IGNORED

Yahoo Groups

I am member of all the Yahoo TI groups, SWPB, Geneve and the two TI99 ones.

Got them all sending weekly digests to my Yahoo email.

But I rarely visit them, or come across old threads if I doing searching for past subject matter.

The only value of see of them is for archival research info, there is some good posts made from people back in the day, info that can't be found here quickly.

Hopefully if there is ever a day comes when Yahoo decides to pull the plug and delete all those groups (and I am sure that will happen), that someone has a way to save and store all the threads, files for archive.

We lost too much stuff over the last decade already with popular sites just suddenly disappearing without any backup plan.

• Like 2

I was/am a member of one yahoo group for about a year before joining the fun here at atariage. I am trying not to post this as a slam, but I have done 10X more for my TI once I started lurking and finally joined in the discussion here. Pretty much the only thing I ever see up on the yahoo group is a call for Jim Peterson votes. Kind of sad, but also kind of good to have everyone centralized. I think (as many have said already), that the yahoo groups forum interface is very antiquated. Is that ironic to post on forum regarding 30 year old computer technology? ... either way I don't think it hurts anything to be a member of all.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, arcadeshopper said:

http://ftp.whtech.com/YAHOO group backups/

I have uploaded what I got for TI99-4A SWPB and GENEVE9640

Greg

Greg what program can make use of these backups.  I downloaded the file but do not recognize the format.  Edit:  I downloaded mboxviewer and had to remove the .000x from each file for it to recognize.   All good now, I think. 

image.png.bb31a522d9c7d75e9534e046ea035499.png

• Like 1

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

If these are in mbox format, they can also be separated out into individual messages which could be imported into a mail client, etc.

it probably would not be difficult for me to import these into a dedicated forum for them, creating separate threads for each "subject", and maintaining the name and timestamp of each post, as well as the post's contents.  But that would bring up the question of whether or not it's ethical to do so.

..Al

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albert said:

it probably would not be difficult for me to import these into a dedicated forum for them, creating separate threads for each "subject", and maintaining the name and timestamp of each post, as well as the post's contents.  But that would bring up the question of whether or not it's ethical to do so.

..Al

That would depend upon Yahoo!'s terms for the groups, or the downloads.  Might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

I've got the PG Offline dumps of the Geneve, SWPB, and TI-99/4A group.

There is a lot of html code in many of the messages and some of them are of significant size.  They do not format too pretty because of all the hyperlink and the >>>>>>>> characters from multiple quoting.

Simpler to use PG Offline to read/review though I have exported the messages and re-imported them back into my BBS at 9640news.ddns.net:9640

Beery

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

That would depend upon Yahoo!'s terms for the groups, or the downloads.  Might be worth looking into.

Maybe we should handle Yahoo´s terms (if any) in the same way as they handled our groups: ?

Can anyone remember posting something into Yahoo that deserves to be forgotten? ;-)

This is indeed an issue: Making the postings visible again could impair personal rights. In Europe the politics are indeed discussing the "right of being forgotten" on the Internet.

I'd say it requires the consent of the authors of the messages. The majority of postings were written by a few people only, so this should be feasible.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Can anyone remember posting something into Yahoo that deserves to be forgotten? ;-)

This is indeed an issue: Making the postings visible again could impair personal rights. In Europe the politics are indeed discussing the "right of being forgotten" on the Internet.

I'd say it requires the consent of the authors of the messages. The majority of postings were written by a few people only, so this should be feasible.

I think, the fact THAT they have posted their content in public means, that it is ment to be public.

Maybe the eMail-adresses should be replaced with synonyms ?

(But, this does not concern European rights, as this was publish in US and would be published in US again)

Ah yes, how long are we accountable for our public words? People's views do change with time as they get older and wiser, and I don't think an opinion expressed impulsively at 25 years of age should be held against you at 50. But does the internet ever really forget anything? :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

Ah yes, how long are we accountable for our public words? People's views do change with time as they get older and wiser, and I don't think an opinion expressed impulsively at 25 years of age should be held against you at 50. But does the internet ever really forget anything? :)

Agreed!  Most of us have probably evolved over the decades, learned life lessons and are no longer the people we used to be.  I believe everyone has said or done things they wish they probably had not.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Agreed!  Most of us have probably evolved over the decades, learned life lessons and are no longer the people we used to be.  I believe everyone has said or done things they wish they probably had not.  

The problem is not that we said or did things, but that people are ignorant enough to hold things against you without proper context or evaluation.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Inside this forum ? Maybe, but history should not be deleted, anyway.

Said is said, you also cannot take back that. That does not remove it from insulted people. You can excuse for it, or pray ;)

If someone regrets what he said he could have requested and still can request for deletion.

But, so or so, it´s not up to me to decide anything, it´s just my opinion, not more.

• Like 1

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

The problem is not that we said or did things, but that people are ignorant enough to hold things against you without proper context or evaluation.

And exactly there, you should not delete the written evidence ;)