IGNORED

Yahoo Groups

34 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

I can totally understand that perspective, especially from someone living in Germany.  Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I assume that you absolutely don´t know what you´re talking about.

I'm certain I've said things better forgotten. I know for a fact there are stupid things I've typed on the internet outside of Groups, too. It is what it is. I recognize it and I shall never run for Prime Minister anyway. ;)

Regarding who owns the posts, I went and pulled their terms of use from 2015 - old enough to be relevant I figure (and older than that, I'd have to figure out the different URL), at least for archive.org. The page is more script than content but links to the legal terms for Yahoo. This, too, more script than content, but goes back to 2012, so it's certainly relevant. I extracted the text of that (as the script made it unreadable), and finally got Yahoo's stance on it, at least from 2012-2015. Here they say:

Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Yahoo Services.

And the rest is just giving Yahoo permission to use it. This means (IANAL) that Mizapf and Arcadeshopper are correct - only the original poster has the legal right to say it's okay to repost it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tursi said:

And the rest is just giving Yahoo permission to use it. This means (IANAL) that Mizapf and Arcadeshopper are correct - only the original poster has the legal right to say it's okay to repost it.

So that´s not good news. Means, all this great info will only going on on private machines only.

I did follow the contents via email-notification the last 7? years, but cannot remember I ever posted there.

But I had a Yahoo-account, was member, and so was able to suck all this data at the last day :grin: That´s all the trick ?

Were these forums readable without any yahoo acccount (were they public or were they private) ?

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

I assume that you absolutely don´t know what you´re talking about.

If I am no more longer on this planet one day, everybody in the universe - hereby - has the permission to repost all my ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Or, one can do a simple

ERASE http:\\*.*.*.*:*\*.*

Then, you won't have to worry about your content......…...

Luckily, this won't work, because you have to use slashes. See the RFC. ;)

(Backslashes are yet another bad idea from Mr. Gates, and all browsers silently translate them.)

3 hours ago, Tursi said:

I think he's agreeing with you. :)

Yes, I believe I was.  Of the four German ladies I know, Trudi, Kim, Geisla and Bobbi (all married to American servicemen) we had discussions a few times over the years about how Germany has gone to great lengths to preserve it's history in context good or bad, even some truly depressing historical sites.  I commend the German people for that, unlike how in my own country the revisionists have taken a different path and not for the better.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Yeah but when you are dead it no longer does matter now, does it :lol:

HA!  To the person who wrote it no! ?   Now to those of us left behind, a lot can be learned.  It's been said an average man learns from his own mistakes but a smart man learns from the mistakes of others.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Luckily, this won't work, because you have to use slashes. See the RFC. ;)

(Backslashes are yet another bad idea from Mr. Gates, and all browsers silently translate them.)

From Gates? MS-DOS uses backslashes because CP/M used them. Digital Research used backslashes because that was how DEC did it.

Forward-slash is actually the johnny-come-lately diffrent-for-the-sake-of-it convention.

CP/M, yes, since 1974. But Multics and Unix precede CP/M, and they introduced slashes for the path. TCP/IP was designed in that context, whence http and the URLs derived their syntax.

Whether Bill Gates decided to opt for the CP/M syntax because he liked it better than the Unix way is not really relevant for the fact that backslashes in URLs are a syntax violation. At least he is to blame that Windows Explorer accepted the backslashes. :)

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

CP/M, yes, since 1974. But Multics and Unix precede CP/M, and they introduced slashes for the path. TCP/IP was designed in that context, whence http and the URLs derived their syntax.

Whether Bill Gates decided to opt for the CP/M syntax because he liked it better than the Unix way is not really relevant for the fact that backslashes in URLs are a syntax violation. At least he is to blame that Windows Explorer accepted the backslashes. :)

CP/M borrowed from DEC's syntax(if I recall, Digital Research was copying RT-11), which DOES precede MULTICS. 

I readily concede the URL format is UNIX-inspired.

Just correcting the "Gates invented a new standard to be contrary" record. He used the CP/M standard for compatibility. I suspect Kildall did it for familiarity, as I don't believe CP/M was compatible with RT-11 except in syntax.

I admit to being surprised MS's internet browsers will autocorrect slashes in URLs. That is a new trick on me.

35 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

I have a 180 MB zip file from PG Offline.  Where is a good place to drop this file if someone wants to look through the archives?  I think 180 MB is too large of a file to drop here on Atariage.

Beery

You could do a google drive drop.

• Like 1

Someone try this link to see if they can download the file:

http://9640news.ddns.net:8080/TI994A.zip

That should have the Geneve, TI-99/4A, and SWPB groups that I captured right before the changes earlier this year.

The file is about 180 MB in size.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller

9 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Someone try this link to see if they can download the file:

http://9640news.ddns.net:8080/TI994A.zip

That should have the Geneve, TI-99/4A, and SWPB groups that I captured right before the changes earlier this year.

Beery

Downloading now.  I have no clue how big it is though, you did not mention it's size, but as I type this it's still downloading.

-- edit --

Apparently it will download, but quite slowly.  I have no great need for old messages, and I'm *assuming* it'll be large, close to 180 MB if I go by a previous message so I'm going to abort it because it's only at 35MB. 

Edited by INVISIBLE