IGNORED

Almost the Intellivision Carrying Case... but not quite...

Lathe26

Ok, does anyone recognize this case?

This is REALLY close to the the official Intellivision Carrying Case but is a little different. It obviously was made by the same company because the styling and some parts are the same but:

1. It is bigger. The Intellivision has gaps left and right in this case but not in the official Intellivision case. Looks it -might- have been designed for other console since the underside supports struts don't touch the bottom of an Intellivision, but the Atari 2600 doesn't fit (Cmart, did we try your 4 switch or 6 switch Atari?)

2. Top says "Sears" instead of "Intellivision Intelligent Television".

3. Cartridge holding area uses foam instead of plastic in-built slots.

4. Latches are a little different.

post-37124-0-82236900-1429499272_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-40100600-1429499287_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-62634000-1429499300_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-40394200-1429499312_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The foam in mine is seriously deteriorating. The horizontal strip of foam inside the top lid was fully attached when I left to visit Cmart, was half attached when I arrived to show him the case, and was fully detached when I returned home. If I brush the foam a bit, pieces fall off (like a hooker with a leper).

• Like 1

I have one also.

Is that what they were for, Sears brand Intellivision?

I believe mine (from eBay) came with a Sears 2600 Heavy Sixer, but the foam is so deteriorating I can't tell what it fits.

I had planned to remove all the foam, but haven't decided what I want to transport in it because I have the 2600 hard case too, (that's a no go for a Heavy Sixer, they are too large).

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Intellivision case and the Sears case. They were manufactured by a company called Southern Case. There is a short review of it along with a photo on page 10 of this magazine: http://www.digitpress.com/library/magazines/electronic_fun/electronic_fun_dec82.pdf

Off topic, but... I have to say the hack cut-and-paste job for the TV screens in the Astrosmash Shoot Off article made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes. It starts on page 42.

Lol, they all have the same screen shot with the same score and some sort of tracer effect on the shooter. I guess they all tied :roll:

Yep! I laughed my ass off at how awful some of the cut-and-paste jobs were, though. Not aligned to the TV: Check. Completely oblivious to perspective: Check.

Look more closely: It's not even a screen shot. It's the artist's conception from the back of the game box, or from the manual or catalog or something. Gotta find the source...

EDIT: It's from the catalog.

06-astrosmash.jpg

Edited by intvnut

I have the Intellivision case and the Sears case. They were manufactured by a company called Southern Case. There is a short review of it along with a photo on page 10 of this magazine: http://www.digitpress.com/library/magazines/electronic_fun/electronic_fun_dec82.pdf

!!! $75 for a case was a fortune in 1982-83 !!!

I'd say this is a situation where "rare" actually applies.

I can't see how a lage amount of these would be made/sold.

I am thankful I have the Sears and the Atari one, even if the Atari case's one hinge is split.

Thanks again for the information!

I am thankful I have the Sears and the Atari one, even if the Atari case's one hinge is split.

Everything cost a fortune when it came out, it's not a question of how many sold for $75 it's a question of how many sold when they were reduced to $4.99 clearance just a few short years later :)

Are the Sears and Atari identical other than the label on the top or are they physically different? The Sears that I have looks identical to the Atari one in the magazine photo.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this. Lathe, did you ever restore your Sears one? Did we ever figure out which console it was meant for? Super Video Arcade or the Atari 2600 one?

No, I've been working on other projects. I don't have an Atari 2600 (or 5200) to test it with, but it does fit the Sears Video Arcade though there is extra space around it.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the quick response! Well always something else to work on, lol. Don't know if interested but here is mine, hope I could track down info or anything to redo it to original. Mine says Sears on it, like yours, so I'm pretty sure it's for the "Super Video Arcade". My 2600 does fit in it, but not perfect. Thanks in advance.

post-68485-0-83364900-1558732203_thumb.jpg

post-68485-0-35795400-1558732215_thumb.jpg

post-68485-0-54144700-1558732227_thumb.jpg

post-68485-0-10672700-1558732347_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoshNer

Also any idea on what this is worth. I see one on eBay for $1200 which I think is ridiculous, it's different so maybe it is. I only know what i paid for it, so just interested. Not selling anyways. I don't collect to make money, just interested. Thanks

Edited by JoshNer