IGNORED

What is the weirdest video game title or game you have ever played?

Another vote for Katamari Damacy.

Intelligent Qube for PS1. Great music and original, simple gameplay.

ET on 2600. I hate this game, but I feel its intent was way ahead of its time and some of the mechanics suffered IMO. Too weird to catch on, and without the hype and marketing it probably would have been some niche title. It pretty much is anyway if we counted the number of people who enjoy it.

Fast Food on 2600. BURP! need I say more.

Typing of the Dead for DC. WTF?

I don't remember what it was called but 15 or so years ago my buddy downloaded some 1000 game archive off some newsgroup. We stayed up all night playing them. Some were pretty fun sports games, but one was a game where you just tried to have anal sex with the other character. Sort of like a really erotic flag football. I'm not willing to google to find that since I'm currently watching paw patrol with my son.

I guess that's not really that weird in the face of like Katamari Damacy. Sex is actually a thing, after all.

Edited by omegadot

How about Rez for the PS2. While the game is fun to play what makes it weird, odd, unique, whatever you want to say is that in Japan they sold a Vibrator that you hooked up to controller 2 port and your women would feel the vibrations depending on how good you did. No pressure there to do real well........

I don't think Qix is any more weird than Tetris.

I suppose it depends what you put into the word, if you're looking for incomprehensible gameplay, odd characters that appear out of context, sexual undertones (as noted by several examples) or games that are playable and possible to understand but for a newcomer seems like one crazy mix before you get into it.

As for incomprehensible, I never grasped what Worms? by Electronic Arts is about, perhaps because I didn't have any instructions. The mere fact the game name contains a question mark should itself qualify it as slightly weird.

An example of a game with all sorts of unexpected enemies could be Revenge of the Mutant Camels, in which Jeff Minter on purpose included some characters from competitors' games. The game itself is rather straightforward though.

Games that consist of many elements that at first don't seem to belong together probably are too many to be listed and really only categorizes as weird until you really get into learning the game. Several of my real life friends still think a such classic as M.U.L.E. is mysterious, even if not plain weird. Of course I would strongly beg to differ, and don't see any weirdness at all into it.

For instance, Gamebase64 has 143 (!!) games listed in the genre Miscellaneous - Weird, including such Hungarian classics as Chinese Juggler (not difficult to understand, just hard to categorize otherwise) and Dancing Monster, which on the other hand is a truly weird game: shoot body parts off a dancing monster. I'm not still sure if the pretty girl in a long gown at the end was captured by the monster you obliterated, or actually was the monster under some crazy spell that only could be reversed at shooting the monster until all enchanted body parts came off and the girl reappeared underneath.

The weird category also includes Activision's Little Computer People, which again is not much more weird than one today would consider The Sims to be.

Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Korean: 붕가 붕가, Japanese: 浣腸ゲーム kanchō geemu), also known as Spank 'em, is an arcade game developed by a South Korean company, Taff System. It is the first arcade game to simulate kancho - a popular prank in Japan where the victim is poked with two fingers in the anus whilst distracted.

The game's control scheme consisted of a large plastic hand with a finger pointing out and a rubber buttocks. I kid you not.

Video Of Gameplay-

07.jpg

Edited by Kripto
  • Like 1

Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Korean: 붕가 붕가, Japanese: 浣腸ゲーム kanchō geemu), also known as Spank 'em, is an arcade game developed by a South Korean company, Taff System. It is the first arcade game to simulate kancho - a popular prank in Japan where the victim is poked with two fingers in the anus whilst distracted.

The game's control scheme consisted of a large plastic hand with a finger pointing out and a rubber buttocks. I kid you not.

Video Of Gameplay-

07.jpg

This is without a doubt the most disturbing video game ever!!

Edited by Retrogamer81081
  • Like 1

Deadly Premonition for the Xbox 360 is a wonderfully weird experience. The whole game has a very Twin Peaks vibe to it. Although it has numerous flaws (terrible controls and some excruciating quick time events), I absolutely could not tear myself away from it.

Love the avatar! Dr. Paul Bearer has come up if a few threads over the years. I forgot about his tag line till just now.

Deadly Premonition for the Xbox 360 is a wonderfully weird experience. The whole game has a very Twin Peaks vibe to it. Although it has numerous flaws (terrible controls and some excruciating quick time events), I absolutely could not tear myself away from it.

If you'd like to hear a really deep dive on the game, this is a GREAT podcast. :)

https://soundcloud.com/watchoutforfireballs/episode-69-deadly-premonition

Video Of Gameplay-

07.jpg

In the history of the internet, there has never been a more apropos moment for it:

/THREAD

Love the avatar! Dr. Paul Bearer has come up if a few threads over the years. I forgot about his tag line till just now.

Thanks! Dr. Paul made quite an impression on me as a lad growing up in the Tampa Bay area. I loved his show and would watch it every weekend. He featured some great movies that to this day I've never seen anywhere else like The Flesh Eaters and Matango.

If you'd like to hear a really deep dive on the game, this is a GREAT podcast. :)

https://soundcloud.com/watchoutforfireballs/episode-69-deadly-premonition

Just listened to this and really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing that link! Their critique pretty much nailed the endearing yet frustrating nature of this game. I've never played another game quite like it. If you can look past its glaringly obvious flaws then its an incredibly rewarding experience (and there's only a handful of games I would actually consider an "experience"). And It's got a great soundtrack, which I'm always a sucker for.