IGNORED

Jewel-encrusted Atari XL?

Savetz

I distinctly remember a photo of a jewel-encrusted Atari XL in one of the Atari magazines back in the day — it was covered in rubies and sapphires and the like. I really thought it was in Antic, and of course I searched my site AtariMagazines.com and elsewhere but can't find it. Headline might have been something like "World's Most Valuable Atari". Does anyone remember it? Can someone point me to that?

(I don't think this had anything to do with the SwordQuest contest.)

thanks

—Kevin

wow - that's a pretty shitty xenophobic post there fujidude - I think that needs reporting as offensive!

sTeVE

It's not xenophobic. It's based on actual real world culture and practices. If I were xenophobic, I would be afraid of foreigners. I'm not afraid of them. I'm not racist either. If I were, I wouldn't be so sympathetic to those "down the street" without running water. It's a commentary on the excesses of the rich contrasting to the poor. There's plenty of examples of the exorbitantly wealthy flaunting it without a hint of shame in most all cultures, including the one I'm part of. But in this particular case, the item described seem to fit with the style many of the rich in middle eastern cultures like. So the worst I'm guilty of, if anything, is being influenced by a stereo type. Remember Saddam's golden toilet?

The only ill will I have regarding this, is those who exploit the poor in a system where the poor have no chance, and the rich hold title as a birthright. It has nothing to do with geography, nationality, skin, religion, etc. I do apologize if my meaning was misinterpreted. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But I stand by my dislike for those which I have mentioned.

• Like 6

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia

Not fear, but hatred - racism, you know the casual type where you throw in a comment that is deeply offensive.

Your poorly composed post could have just said wealthy fool, but you chose to use a racial stereotype to make your point - nasty!

sTeVE

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia

Not fear, but hatred - racism, you know the casual type where you throw in a comment that is deeply offensive.

Your poorly composed post could have just said wealthy fool, but you chose to use a racial stereotype to make your point - nasty!

sTeVE

Middle East is not racial. And you are not addressing my point about my support for the poor in the same region, and my clarifying it is about extreme wealth and abject poverty contrasting. Maybe you don't address that because it flat out proves your accusation of racism is false, casual or otherwise. You should go and actually read the definition link you posted. It states fear and hatred of strangers, foreigners, or anything that is strange or foreign. I neither fear nor hate things that are strange or foreign. There are plenty of things in some foreign cultures that I very much admire. And as already stated, flaunting of wealth and exploitation of the poor by those in my own back yard is something I dislike equally.

So If you wish to continually attack me personally as a racist, err "casual" racist (because that must be less offensive to me right?), especially in light of my explanation, then it is you who deserves to be reported, as you say, for personal attacks. It seems to me to be a pretty clear case of "political correctness." There aren't any people I dislike or disapprove of in any way based on race. None. So don't you dare try to bully me, via your xenophobe, racist, etc. accusations, into your vision of politically correct speech. You need to at least learn the difference between objective criticism and racism, before you go around making your accusations.

And yes Bryan, this is off the tracks. So I will gladly stop discussing it for that reason, but not because I will be bullied by the likes of Steve.

• Like 1

My dictionary link said "fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners"

I stand by my assertion that by attributing a negative connotation to a person you identify geographically is racist.

You could have said "Let me guess, it belonged to someone who was born into opulence, while the people down the road couldn't afford to have running water?"

But instead you invoked a cheap stereotype "someone in the Middle East" implying that the their ethnicity was important in your statement.

You can call me a bully (I dunno know why, I'm just telling you how your post made me feel) - but I stand by my assertion - and I might add I am free to do so - that your post offended ME for those reasons.

Sorry to be upset, but I am by your post - I'm no being politically correct, just made unhappy by your post...

and now...

back to topic ! The jewel-encrusted Atari 1200XL appeared in Antic magazine of March 1983 and it was not on the title, but somewhere in the magazine.

The 1200XL got "some" more value by 225 blue saphires, 150 rubies and 16 diamonds, done by a jewelry of course, worth 250,000 USD back then. I took the picture from this Antic magazine (used a b/w-copy machine) and wrote a short note for Abbuc magazine 72 many years ago... here it is: (Abbuc magazine = german language)

---

So, so - da seid ihr also unter die Sammler gegangen, was ? Und weil ihr eine so tolle Atari Sammlung besitzt, meint ihr wohl auch, diese müsse sehr wertvoll sein. Aber sie ist nur wertvoll für euch (und Gleichgesinnte Atarianer!), nicht jedoch für den Rest der Welt! Es ist also ganz gleich, ob ihr einen Atari 400, 800, 600XL, 800XL (mit oder ohne Freddy), 65XE, 130XE oder 800XE euer Eigen nennt. Auch der seltenere 1200XL oder gar die ultraseltenen 1400XL (von dem ca. 50- 75 Stück existieren) und der 1450XLD (von dem ca. 150 Stück existieren, jedoch nur 3 Stück mit Floppycontroller!) sind ziemlich wertlos in den Augen anderer Artgenossen, äh, Menschen. Probiert erst gar nicht die Prototypen, wie den 65XEM (M = Music, also mit Amy-Music-Chip) oder den 65XEP (p = portable, also tragbar) aufzutreiben, bei deren Stückzahlen (weniger als 5 Stück sollen davon existieren), wird euch das eh’ nicht gelingen. Denn wirklich wertvoll wird euer Atari erst, wenn ihr ihn vergolden lasst! Tja, und dies hat sich wohl jemand zu Herzen genommen und schon vor 20 Jahren seinen 1200XL unglaublich wertvoll gemacht:
image828.jpg
Das ziemlich schlecht zu erkennende Bild zeigt einen Atari 1200XL mit ein paar Steinchen und Klunkern darauf. Der Titel verrät es bereits: "Versteinerter Atari" - und so sind darauf Juwelen im Gesamtwert von 250.000 US-Dollar zu finden. Nicht weniger als 225 blaue Saphire, 150 Rubine und 16 Diamanten wurden für diesen Atari geopfert und sorgten dafür, dass er sowohl für den Besitzer, als auch für andere Leute etwas besonders wertvolles darstellt. So ist es dann auch nicht weiter verwunderlich, dass hinter dieser Idee ein US-Juwelier steckt(e). Übrigens, dieser Leserbeitrag erschien in der März-Ausgabe des Antic-Magazins 1983, wer will kann ja mal nachschauen, wie viel der Dollar damals so wert war...
Andreas Magenheimer

----

Besides, Andreas Magenheimer, thats still me !

• Like 2

That's it, I'm ordering a Bedazzler!

I MUCH prefer the Vajazzler. I also have no idea why people get upset spending other people's money. Not everyone needs to be out to save the world. I bust my ass 60 to 70 hours per week and I better never hear anyone complain about the house I own or the new car I have. Nobody has ever given me anything for free. I am 40 years old and have been working since I was 14. I earned everything I have. If I chose to have a jewel encrusted 1200XL instead of my multiple Battlespheres and 2015 Veloster, it's nobody's business to call foul.

Shove xebophobia and racism up your asses. Don't be jealous of what hard working individuals achieve either.

• Like 4