IGNORED

F6 Bank Switching Problem

Mikes360

Hi Guys,

I have written a bank switching scheme similar to many others around that use brk followed by the address of a routine.

Here is the macro I created

MAC BSR // takes routine address as argument

BSR_ORIGIN_BANK SET CURRENT_BANK
	ldx #BANK_{1} 
	brk
	.word {1}

ENDM

To make this work you need to make the interrupt vector point to a hotspot bankswitch routine and this is my version.

MAC BANK_HOTSPOT

ORG BANK_ORIGIN + $FD3
	RORG $FFD3

Hotspot
	dec $FE 
	ldy #1
	lda ($FE),y
	pha
	dey
	lda ($FE),y
	pha
	dec $FB
	sta hotspot,x
	rts
ReturnSpot
	sta hotspot,x
	rti
	BYTE_COUNT Hotspot, "Hotspot"
	ENDM

For completeness here is the macro for retuning from a bankswitch routine

MAC RBS

ldx #BSR_ORIGIN_BANK
	jmp ReturnSpot

ENDM

I have found that when using this my code is very sensitive to the address of the routine after the brk instruction for example a brk .word{$F0F4} works fine and brk .word{$F0EF} does not.

The difference is the lower byte $EF gets resolved to the following 3 byte illegal opcode:

EF *ISC abs 6 $EF: bytes: 3 cycles: 6 A___P=>A___P RW abs

and $F4 gets resolved to a two byte illegal opcode:

F4 *NOP zpx 4 $F4: bytes: 2 cycles: 4 _____=>_____ R_ zpx

Now from looking at stella in the case where it works then I return to the origin bank the program counter gets incremented by two so the next inscription after the brk .word{$F0F4} is executed correctly and everything is fine.

However in the case where it is not working brk .word{$F0EF} the program counter is getting incremented by three so subsequent instructions are not executed correctly.

Can someone look at my macros and see what I might be doing wrong to cause this behaviour? I hope I have given enough detail to describe the issue I am getting.

Thanks,

Mike

I think what's confusing you is that stella is trying to disassemble the 2 data bytes after the BRK instruction. That's probably not relevant to your issue. It should always be executing the instruction that follow that macro and once it does, the disassembly will fix itself.

I think the real problem is the RBS macro. BSR_ORIGIN_BANK will most likely be set to the bank you're already in instead of the bank you just came from. You should try this instead. (NOT TESTED)

Basically just keep track of the origin back in a variable. If you call through multiple banks you may need to refactor it to use the stack or allocate an array instead of a single variable.

Hope that helps!

-Zack

MAC BSR // takes routine address as argument

ldx #BANK_{1} 
	brk
	.word {1}

ENDM
	MAC BANK_HOTSPOT

ORG BANK_ORIGIN + $FD3
	RORG $FFD3

Hotspot
	LDA #CURRENT_BANK ;Save the current bank in ram so we know what it was later
	STA originBank	;<-- declare a variable for this
	dec $FE 
	ldy #1
	lda ($FE),y
	pha
	dey
	lda ($FE),y
	pha
	dec $FB
	sta hotspot,x
	rts
ReturnSpot
	sta hotspot,x
	rti
	BYTE_COUNT Hotspot, "Hotspot"
	ENDM
	MAC RBS

ldx originBank	;can't use the macro here because this will vary at runtime depending on which bank called into this one
        jmp ReturnSpot

ENDM

Hi ZackAttack,

That is a valid point I was aware of this. In my case I always want to jump back to the first bank so its not been a problem I should just replace the return logic with a ldx #0 for my needs.

However the problem I am describing is different and its all to do with how the program counter is being incremented by two of three bytes depending on the contents of the address after brk

Here is the failed brk in stella (notice the program counter is being incremented by three which is causing it to go wrong)

PC = F0A6 post-34963-0-16267100-1429686183_thumb.png PC = F0A9 post-34963-0-56645500-1429686194_thumb.png

And here is the successful brk (program counter being incremented by two

PC = F0A6 post-34963-0-72652000-1429686133_thumb.png PC = F0A8 post-34963-0-65330100-1429686154_thumb.png

So am I modifying the return address in my hotspot code incorrectly?

Edited by Mikes360