IGNORED

Using the F18A with another computer than the TI-99/4A

Dexter

I’m about to buy two F18A’s, one for my “new” TI-99/4A, and one for my 65816 based homebrew computer MARC-2. As I said before, my intention is to write a few little machine language games for both systems simultaneously. So both having the same VDP, surely is a huge advantage. Even more because the F18A is becoming almost a standard in the TI community. Of course I’ve looked on Matthew’s site and on this forum, but I probably overlooked one or two things.

MARC-2 has a 3.3V data bus on the CPU side, and a 5V data bus on the RAM side. In between, there is a 3.3V but 5V tolerant CPLD. (XC95288XL) My question is, can I connect the F18A to the 3.3V side?

And just out of curiosity, who of you uses the F18A with another computer than the TI-99/4A?

*------

Although MARC-2 is 3.3V, it’s not the definitive destination for the F18A. I’m designing a new computer, MARC-3 (My Adorable Retro Computer version 3). :) It’s practically almost ready, except for the actual build. The main difference is that it will be modular, that is, I’ll use a ground plane, similar to the S-100 bus, and carts for the different parts of the computer system. The second difference will be that it’s running solely on 5V.

• Like 1

And just out of curiosity, who of you uses the F18A with another computer than the TI-99/4A?

The MiniCortex I'm designing has an F18A. The MiniCortex is a eurocard sized SBC with a 9995 CPU and roughly modeled on the Powertran Cortex (schematics). It started out as an extended version of Stuart's breadboard design for the 9995.

post-37953-0-76741600-1429737651_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The MiniCortex I'm designing has an F18A. The MiniCortex is a eurocard sized SBC with a 9995 CPU and roughly modeled on the Powertran Cortex (schematics). It started out as an extended version of Stuart's breadboard design for the 9995.

That looks very interesting! I hope to see more from it.

Nope, unrelated discussions. That's my problem.

Well, there clearly comes something good out of those "unrelated discussions" :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice! Will it have some for of Basic in ROM? (I assume Powertran Cortex Basic). Also what about storage?

The F18A buffers all input and most output (the data bus) through a 245 buffer:

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC74LCX16245-D.PDF

The device has LVTTL I/O that is 5V tolerant. So in a word, yes, it will work with a 3.3V I/O system on both sides. The FPGA is 3.3V but does not have 5V tolerant I/O which is why I had to use the buffer.

As for using the F18A in other systems, I use it in my 99/4A, MSX1, and CV. It has been tested in a good number of systems (a somewhat complete list is on my website somewhere.)

f18a_minimal_v1.3.pdf

• Like 1

The F18A buffers all input and most output (the data bus) through a 245 buffer:

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC74LCX16245-D.PDF

The device has LVTTL I/O that is 5V tolerant. So in a word, yes, it will work with a 3.3V I/O system on both sides. The FPGA is 3.3V but does not have 5V tolerant I/O which is why I had to use the buffer.

As for using the F18A in other systems, I use it in my 99/4A, MSX1, and CV. It has been tested in a good number of systems (a somewhat complete list is on my website somewhere.)

Thanks for the info Matthew. According to the datasheet of the W65C816S, Input High Voltage is VDD x 0.8. So I might use a 74HCT245 on the data bus to ensure proper operation. Would you agree on that?

Anyway, I ordered two F18A’s and I’m pretty excited about it. \o/

@Stuart: About the height of a socket or standard header. I posted a photo in the F18A thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/168968-f18a/page-33?do=findComment&comment=3225571

@Dexter: 5V * 0.8 = 4V. So if you are running the W65C816S with a 5V supply then the buffer I used on the F18A will not drive it's input. You need a dual-voltage level *shifter*, which TI makes a lot of. Or use a CPU that uses standard TTL I/O, in which case a logic level high is usually anything over 2V. The 74HCT245 also looks like it would work, but the only way to know it to try. Mixing logic families is also a pain.

You need a dual-voltage level *shifter*, which TI makes a lot of. Or use a CPU that uses standard TTL I/O, in which case a logic level high is usually anything over 2V. The 74HCT245 also looks like it would work, but the only way to know it to try.

The '816 on MARC-2 runs on 3.3V, so there I should be OK, according to the LCX16245 datasheet. Do you know a dual voltage shifter, just out of interest. It probably will even work when the '816 is running on 5V, because those ratings are very conservative.

I guess, somehow I'll get it to work.

Mixing logic families is also a pain.

Indeed, amen to that. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Today I finished porting Matthew's VDP routines to 6502 machine language.

I used the 6502 mode of the 65816, I can tell that I'm really spoiled from the 9900. :D

To give a little insight in two of the same routines, one for the 9900 and the other for the 6502:

* VDP Multiple Byte Write
* R0   Starting write address in VDP RAM
* R1   Starting read address in CPU RAM
* R2   Number of bytes to send to the VDP RAM
* R0 is modified, but can be restored with: ANDI R0,>3FFF
VMBW   MOVB @R0LB,@VDPWA      * Send low byte of VDP RAM write address
       ORI  R0,>4000          * Set read/write bits 14 and 15 to write (01)
       MOVB R0,@VDPWA         * Send high byte of VDP RAM write address
VMBWLP MOVB *R1+,@VDPWD       * Write byte to VDP RAM
       DEC  R2                * Byte counter
       JNE  VMBWLP            * Check if done
       B    *R11
*// VMBW

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;
; VDP Multiple Byte Write
;
; +vmbw dst, src, num
;
; dst      Starting write address in VDP RAM
; src      Starting read address in CPU RAM
; num      Number of bytes to send to the VDP RAM
;
; move memory down
;
; from = source start address
;   to = destination start address
; size = number of bytes to move
;

!macro vmbw .dst, .src, .num {
               lda     #<.src
               sta     from
               lda     #>.src
               sta     from+1
               lda     #<.dst
               sta     to
               lda     #>.dst
               sta     to+1
               lda     #<.num
               sta     sizel
               lda     #>.num
               sta     sizeh

lda     #<.dst
               sta     port1           ; Send *lowbyte* (A7 to A0) of VRAM address
               lda     #>.dst | $40    ; | $40 to indicate a write (x1xxxxxx)
               sta     port1           ; Send *highbyte* (A13 to A8) of VRAM address

ldy     #0
               ldx     sizeh
               beq     +
-              lda     (from),y        ; move a page at a time
               sta     port0           ; Write byte to VDP RAM
               iny
               bne     -
               inc     from+1
               dex
               bne     -
+              ldx     sizel
               beq     +
-              lda     (from),y        ; move the remaining bytes
               sta     port0           ; Write byte to VDP RAM
               iny
               dex
               bne     -
+
}

The computer is running at 8MHz without wait state, and the F18A has absolutely no problem with it.

post-41771-0-41149900-1432314576_thumb.jpg

post-41771-0-22255700-1432314580_thumb.jpg

post-41771-0-21490700-1432314584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 3