IGNORED

Choose your favorite console out of this list.

AtarinDave

The PS1 was revolutionary when it came out. I loved playing on it like crazy. I also love the Dreamcast, as it had a more arcade-esque feel to it than some of the other consoles. The Jaguar and JagCD are getting some better love from me now than when I had them years ago, mostly because of how different the games feel.

• Like 1

If you take a Playstation 2, have it region modded so that it will run US, JPN & EUR titles, you have the console with the biggest and most diverse library ever. Not only that, this also - by definition - includes/absorbs the Playstation 1 library as well!

I think a launch PS3 that plays PS2 and PS1 titles in hardware probably qualifies as having the biggest and most diverse physical media-based library ever.

• Like 3

I'm going to say Dreamcast. Great controller, and a emulation library that covers most of those other consoles listed. :)

Oh waiit, no Jaguar emulation yet so no Jaguar Bubsy. Ummm .. ok.. Jaguar then. :P

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I think a launch PS3 that plays PS2 and PS1 titles in hardware probably qualifies as having the biggest and most diverse physical media-based library ever.

I'm inclined to agree, but only the original JPN launch models actually contained the PS2 chipset...? No?

Therefore, is the console not just tethered to JPN only releases?

I fantasised about the PS3 being released as a region free console that allowed region free play of PS1 & PS2 titles. Didn't exactly tun out that way...

I'm inclined to agree, but only the original JPN launch models actually contained the PS2 chipset...? No?

Therefore, is the console not just tethered to JPN only releases?

I fantasised about the PS3 being released as a region free console that allowed region free play of PS1 & PS2 titles. Didn't exactly tun out that way...

I have an American 60GB (I since upgraded the hard drive) launch unit and as far as I know it has the PS2 chipset in it, i.e., it's not just a software emulator that allows it play PS2 and PS1 games. It's a pity that capability and the ability to install Linux on it was removed from future versions of the PS3.

• Like 1

The Jaguar CD, 32x and Sega CD shouldn't be considered stand alone platforms, because by themselves, you can't play jack.

I'm a fan of Atari, Sega and Xbox platforms, so out of the ones on the list:

Atari 8-bit

Lynx

Jaguar/Jag CD

Genesis/Sega CD/32x

Saturn

Dreamcast

Xbox

If it was on the list, I would add the ST.

Favorite for games...MD/Genesis (Golden Axe series, Shinobi series, Streets of Rage series, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Sonic, VirtuaRacing, Road Rash, Desert Strike, F-15, F-22, Out Run, Samurai Showdown, Smash TV, MK series, Valis III, Truxton, MUSHA, eh..why not..BUBSY, Power Base Converter, 32X, SegaCD, 14mHz mod, RGB out JAMMA capable mod, on and on and on..

Favorite current system..VCS (still figuring out all it can do!) with a Harmony cart a PC and Visual Batari Basic!! This sums up my day when not herding children, playing guitar, wooing the old lady..

Here's my list, in no particular order..

3DO

Sega Saturn (with 4meg all region cart)

PC Engine (region switch modded)

Super Grafx

Games Family 60-in-1 Arcade machine

6 Sega Genesis systems (one JAMMADrive w/ clock and halt switches, one turned to a Mega Drive, two At-Games and two regular Model 1's)

Japanese Sega Master System

Coleco Gemini

Coleco Flashback

Atari Flashback 2

Dreamcast

2 Gamecubes with Gameboy players

Wii

2 PS2s (one translucent case with fliptop lid modded )

3 XBOX (one Chameleon modded with 80 gig HD and Evolution X with most Emulators)

Quad core 64-bit Windows 7 PC (in cabinet, as are most of these systems. For games like SF4 or emulation)

Just Another Pandoras Box 3, Blue Elf 2, Blue Elf 09 arcade machine

2.7 Gig XP PC for programming and gaming

PII 233 for old-school (also is an Amiga server)

Amiga 2500 (030 removed to access original, never before used, 68000)

PIII setup as an Amiga Forever PC (with controllers, sound, graphics cards setup and working)

Super Nintendo (with region blocks snapped off for complete compatibility, a Pro Fighter X disk drive, a RetroPort and a RetroGen)

Atari Jaguar

Atari 7800

Atari Heavy Sixer (from Sunnyvale)

Atari 4-switcher (from Sunnyvale)

Atari Lynx (LCD screen upgraded)

JXD 602b

Gateway 1GHz PC with Windows 2000 (sons gaming rig)

Mac G3 Power PC with Ubuntu and UAE

486 DX with Calmira and DOS for old school

Atari 1040STE

C64 with 1541 speed boosts and tape drive

Atari 130XE with PC link adapter

2 TRS-80 systems

Coco 3 (with Wico controller adapter)

Master System handheld

Power Base Convertor

32X

SegaCD

NES

Famicom clone with multicarts

CD-i

There may be more hooked up somewhere around here, just my immediate collection.

I have an American 60GB (I since upgraded the hard drive) launch unit and as far as I know it has the PS2 chipset in it, i.e., it's not just a software emulator that allows it play PS2 and PS1 games. It's a pity that capability and the ability to install Linux on it was removed from future versions of the PS3.

If I remember correctly, the launch versions of the 40gb and 60gb PS3s were hardware emulation and the 80gb was software emulation. I know it seems redundant to say "hardware emulation" because the system contained PS2 hardware, but I remember hearing those words throughout the dramatic launch...hardware emulation...

It has a lively homebrew scene. I'm part of it.

This is true. The O2/Videopac has a surprisingly robust homebrew scene; there are more homebrew releases each year than for the Jaguar, for example, and it happens without all the drama...

The O2 does have some really decent and unique games in its library: the KC games, UFO, Killer Bees, Turtles, Attack of the Time Lords, KTAA, etc. If you haven't tried them, you should check 'em out.

Edited by ls650

If I remember correctly, the launch versions of the 40gb and 60gb PS3s were hardware emulation and the 80gb was software emulation. I know it seems redundant to say "hardware emulation" because the system contained PS2 hardware, but I remember hearing those words throughout the dramatic launch...hardware emulation...

The 40GB was not HW compat.

The US launch were the 20GB (the one I have, no WiFi) and the 60GB both with full HW back compat, then the US 80GB came along with partial HW back compat (only 1 of the 2 PS2 chips was present, can't remember if it was the GS or the EE), then they dropped the whole back compat HW on 40GB and the newer 80GB and so on.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Didn't know that. Always thought it was only the JPN launch PS3 that had the EE and GS in, but apparently launch US PS3's did too.

Unfortunately, we never got a single full HW compatible PS3 release in the UK. Because... we don't care about sh*t like the "PS2" after the PS3 (and 360) has been out for 6 months, thus, no need for Sony to waste money/resources on PS2 B/C.

The launch 60GB model did, however, manage partial HW compatibility, but I remember friends playing their PS2 games on their PS3's and not being too impressed with the results. So I never bothered with one...

The original 20gb & 60gb's launched in Japan & north america and the had the emotion engine in them, I'm sure that the 60gb european launch model had the chip emulated before being removed completely when we went from 4 to 2 USB ports & lost the card readers. I'm still pissed that my original 20Gb got stolen.

Anyway back on topic my favourite console is still the 2600. Still love to pick up and play classics like Haunted House, Frostbite, Kaboom, Decathlon, Keystone Kapers, Adventure. Its amazing what has been done with that machine over the last 38 years. Not sure I'd have as many problems if I had never laid eyes on the old woody all those years ago!

Sega GameGear has always held a soft spot for me. i can remember being in the san diego airport in 1994 and watching a baseball game on the TV tuner and everybody just amazed at this little thing watching a live TV show, Lots of offers to buy right there and then.

My #2 is not on the list; ColecoVision

Very close #3 is my Atari Jaguar

Edited by Clay
  • Like 1