IGNORED

PC Engine Noob

Cyber core looks cool, I have yet to play it. With so many shewties on the system, I would venture to say that it's not the best on the system but that judgment is purely speculative. There are just so many awesome shooters. I really enjoy Heavy Unit, Blazing Lazers, Paranoia, and Final Soldier.

You gotta try Parodius Da if you want shooters!

A game that never made it to the US, supposedly because of some parts, most notably a belly dancer and a certain boss...

Go to 7:00 directly if you wanna see those parts that might have been deemed "too much" for Americans audiences :D

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I am trying them out now.

What I like about Cyber Core is the soothing, melodic music.

Blazing Lazers, a beautiful shmup, one of the best.

Final Soldier, dare I say better than Blazing Lazers?

Heavy Unit, just tried it. The damn skulls won't die! Die Skulls, Die I say.

Paranoia - freaked me out when the screen went static.

On to Parodius Da, if its anything like Nemesis on the gameboy I already like it.

I have Psychosis (NA version of Paranoia) and have always enjoyed it. It never gets much attention. I've beaten it twice, but it's one of those games that if you die several levels in, you might as well just reset and start over. Both times I managed to beat it, I had to do it with one ship.

Also try R Type. There's a couple of different versions, though. The PC Engine game came in two parts on two cards for some reason, while the TG-16 version is the whole game on one card. Don't know why they did it like that. (And yeah, this is on a lot of systems, so you've probably played it before, but the TG version is a great version.)

I haven't played the actual card, but I have Soldier Blade on the Wii VC and it is pretty fun, too.

• Like 1

Parodius, as the name suggest, is a parody of Gradius. But id the game retain a fun, comical look and feel, the gameplay is akin to Gradius, as tight, precise and hard as the gradius series can be.

For R-type, it might be that they didn't had enoguh large ROM at hand? The PC-Engine was a massive succes in Japan (basically, in Japan, the PC-Engine had the place the Genesis had in the US, and vice-versa - in Japan, the Megadrive laggued behind.) so they either didn't had enough large ROMs, or they wanted to have Gradius for the PC engine as fast as possible and made it across two carts to release it as fast as they could. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by CatPix

i am comparing and contrasting the 90ish tg-16 games with the 300ish pcengine games. its fun cause the music is different sometimes on the same game. i just noticed that Adventure Island appears to have infinite lives. Still in the A's.

If you are using a flash cart, be careful about ROM hacks. Adventure Island probably doesn't have infinite lives on the normal HuCard release.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...